Time for a Deer Overhaul

Walleto

Re: Time for a Deer Overhaul

Post by Walleto »

I Think you should be able to find deer sheds!
THOR_720

Post by THOR_720 »

Love it!
JK_ElkHunter
Outfitter

Post by JK_ElkHunter »

+1 to this!
Spoiler:

wvdeerhunter
Tracker

Post by wvdeerhunter »

Thoke2014 wrote:I think this definitely needs to happen. I hate the way the deer flee in the game, most deer that I hunt will run about 50 yards and then look back. They also run in a straight line for the most part (don't zig-zag like in the game). I really like the flow plot idea but I think it would be rather tricky to implement, because you would have to clear a area of trees and replace it with a food plot.
I am pretty sure that there are enough small fields on the map to accommodate. Of course we could not plant acres, but small plots around field edges would really be cool. I remember in the old Deerhunter game series you could do seasonal hunts and plant corn. Wouldn't that be amazing!
Raptor02
Outfitter

Post by Raptor02 »

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking for placement of the food plots WVDeerHunter. Placing the small plots in already existing fields. The mechanics of it are already in the game, as in you can't place barrels, tripods or tents on trees, rocks or steep hills. That plus if plots used the existing attraction system of barrels and feeders it should be fairly easy to implement. I think that it's a very realistic suggestion and id like to see plots just as much as all your ideas in the op.
wvdeerhunter
Tracker

Post by wvdeerhunter »

Just noted this in recent tweets where someone asked about bait barrels of corn or peanuts for deer::

theHunter.com ‏@TheHunterGame Jul 17 -
@nathanericscott No, this will probably never be implemented, because of the game balance reasons. Sorry.

Methinks I will continue to bring this post back to the top of the "active topics" list until I hear a reply from someone in staff.
It would be nice to hear if there are any plans whatsoever to modify our deerhunting experience in the near future.
Raptor02
Outfitter

Post by Raptor02 »

I think the devs say no to deer feeders because they're thinking strictly of bait stations. I don't really like the idea of them either. Just because I'm not use to hunting like that irl. What I am use to is scouting looking for sign, rubs, scrapes, trails, cover and natural food supply. Sometimes if your able to, planting a field of desireable greens for the deer. That's how I hunt. That's how many if not the majority of deer hunters all over the world hunt. It's the best way to get close without spooking all the really skittish mature deer. Unless your in an area that you can see for miles. Then spot and stalk is usually the preferred method.

The devs feel it will change the dynamic or feel of how the game is played and has always been played, and it probably would. Hunting deer in the hunter has been historically spot and stalk. While I do enjoy hunting this way it's hardly the only style. Stand hunting is something I really love irl. Doing all that research and scouting then setting up the perfect stand location is so incredibly fun. And that is just missing in this game. You can setup stands for bear or hog just not deer. Well you could but there's just no good reason for a deer to be in a specific area for any reason at all. There's no fruit or nut bearing trees ingame. No fields with plants deer would like to eat, they eat everywhere almost. No specific bedding areas we've found so far anyway. Deer don't seem to avoid areas that will expose them in the open like they would irl. There's so many things that could be improved.

If it isn't something like food plots then it needs to be something else that drastically changes deer hunting ingame. The devs seem to fear this change by what they've said, I just feel that change is needed badly. Deer hunting in this game is good, but it could be GREAT.
Countryhunter7
Tracker

Post by Countryhunter7 »

wvdeerhunter wrote:
Thoke2014 wrote:I think this definitely needs to happen. I hate the way the deer flee in the game, most deer that I hunt will run about 50 yards and then look back. They also run in a straight line for the most part (don't zig-zag like in the game). I really like the flow plot idea but I think it would be rather tricky to implement, because you would have to clear a area of trees and replace it with a food plot.
I am pretty sure that there are enough small fields on the map to accommodate. Of course we could not plant acres, but small plots around field edges would really be cool. I remember in the old Deerhunter game series you could do seasonal hunts and plant corn. Wouldn't that be amazing!
If they implemented Food Plots into theHunter, here is where I would put it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ1sZ5tAziA
wvdeerhunter
Tracker

Post by wvdeerhunter »

More thought to trails, zones, and food plots... Map attached below shows how one might divvy up Loggers Point.
Seeing as deer are territorial, properly placed "magnetized" trails could keep deer within their zones. For fun I have added some food plots in purple.

There it is....hack away!

wvdeerhunter
Tracker

Post by wvdeerhunter »

Back again to build upon this topic.

Here are two mulies fighting in the old Deerhunter 2005 game
https://youtu.be/L3IQQLooGd0

Return to “Animal Suggestions”