Time for a Deer Overhaul

wvdeerhunter
Tracker

Time for a Deer Overhaul

Post by wvdeerhunter »

After many years of loyally supporting this game, I am going to use what little influence I have to elicit a well deserved change. First I want to congratulate the team on a job well done on so many levels. What I would love to see now is going back and improving what we have before adding new reserves and animals.

From the Whitetail/Mule Deer/Roe deer side of things, I see a few things that "bug" me...and I have thoughts of improvement to the hunter experience. I welcome any other thoughts from the forum to add.

1. Whitetail should not bee-line to your calling position/stand. Added excitement if you don't know for sure which direction they might come in. They should circle in around your location at a trot and once they approach the "audible range", come in more warily.

2. Whitetail travel in small groups/herds too! Bucks in early season only, so I can see the logic in lone bucks, but whitetail does typically herd about the same as what I see the mule deer herds of does in the current game settings.

3. Not sure about mule deer, but like the roe deer, when spooked they will snort as they run away.

4. Trails. Trails running from feeding and bedding areas. Does typically follow the same routes daily, with the bucks not too far away on a less used trail, or not too far behind the does. I remember in the old Deerhunter series, mapmakers could "magnetize" certain areas, but when you did that, you never saw deer in other areas...and that is NOT good.

5. Corn feeders might be nice.

6. Rubs and Scrapes to clue us in on the REAL monster bucks. The hunter's mate could identify how old the scrape or rub is.

7. Bucks locking horns like the Ibex.

8. Food plots

9. Antler calls, bring them in at a full gallop!

Just some "food" for thought.
Last edited by wvdeerhunter on July 3rd, 2015, 8:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Raptor02
Outfitter

Re: Time for a Deer Overhaul

Post by Raptor02 »

I agree. There should be more sign also like deer rubs and scrapes. Bucks fighting like ibex do would be great as well.

I also had an idea for a way to implement food plots. I think it could work out, but I haven't had much of a response about it. Probably because no one looks in the calls and lures section.

http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=66410
wvdeerhunter
Tracker

Post by wvdeerhunter »

Raptor02 wrote:I agree. There should be more sign also like deer rubs and scrapes. Bucks fighting like ibex do would be great as well.

I also had an idea for a way to implement food plots. I think it could work out, but I haven't had much of a response about it. Probably because no one looks in the calls and lures section.

http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=66410
Of course! Where was my mind. Thanks for the suggestions...I have added them to my list.
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

+1

Totally agree and support this posts
hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

i agree deer hunting needs an overhaul
also i think the make sound key should also get animals to stop for about 1-3 second before trotting away (trotting not running!)

and food plots can not work the sameway as feeders i think that there should on,y be an attractiveness level that attracts for a certain distance and not a spawn number increase like with feeders also deer should not stay at the food plot for very long maybe 3-5 minutes at the most and also should have a much higher chance of coming to the foodplot earlier in the morning or late in the evening.

time of day needs MUCH more effect on the hunting
you should not be able to tart a hunt at 12 in the day and see just as many deer as you would at 6 in the morning time of day needs more importance .

animals need to do more than aimlessly walk around they should be feeding drinking and bedding down and should always be doing one of those 3 things they shouldn't be aimlessly walking around.
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:
thegage

Post by thegage »

YES!!!!!! I have literally been waiting for this for the past 3 or 4 years!!!
Countryhunter7
Tracker

Post by Countryhunter7 »

+100
Whitetail also "Blow" when they are spooked, letting other Deer in the area know something isn't right.

I think if theHunter added Food Plots into the game, it will bring a whole new game play feature by letting the Hunter select which Crop he wants to hunt over, how they wants the plot set up, where they want it set up, and even if they want a standing corn or bean field, or a cut corn r bean field, or even maybe half cut and half standing.
Also I don't think it should work like a Feeder, where after you shoot a animal the attractiveness goes to 0.
Instead make it where Animals want to come back in and feed but the are on high alert around that area.

Whitetails are know to be Curious Animals. So having them come back after a shot isn't a rare occurrence.

Example:
Back in 2012 I was Hunting IRL, after my buddy next to me shot a Doe, we packed up to go drag her out of the woods, after going back to get the ATV their was a 8 pointer standing 40 yards away from the Dead Doe, it was not 10 min after the Gun Shot this deer come right to the area. It spooked after hearing the ATV. We discovered this buck showed up after the moment we went to retrieve the ATV, by the Trial Camera we had in front of our treestand.
Raptor02
Outfitter

Post by Raptor02 »

Countryhunter7 wrote:+100
Whitetail also "Blow" when they are spooked, letting other Deer in the area know something isn't right.

I think if theHunter added Food Plots into the game, it will bring a whole new game play feature by letting the Hunter select which Crop he wants to hunt over, how they wants the plot set up, where they want it set up, and even if they want a standing corn or bean field, or a cut corn r bean field, or even maybe half cut and half standing.
Also I don't think it should work like a Feeder, where after you shoot a animal the attractiveness goes to 0.
Instead make it where Animals want to come back in and feed but the are on high alert around that area.

Whitetails are know to be Curious Animals. So having them come back after a shot isn't a rare occurrence.

Example:
Back in 2012 I was Hunting IRL, after my buddy next to me shot a Doe, we packed up to go drag her out of the woods, after going back to get the ATV their was a 8 pointer standing 40 yards away from the Dead Doe, it was not 10 min after the Gun Shot this deer come right to the area. It spooked after hearing the ATV. We discovered this buck showed up after the moment we went to retrieve the ATV, by the Trial Camera we had in front of our treestand.
Yeah gunshot sounds don't have too much affect on deer in the wild. They'll spook if there close to it but usually won't do anything besides maybe pick up their head over 150-200yds. Most of the time they won't even look up over them distances. I had the same thing happen a couple years ago. Shot an 8 point right before dusk, not even 10min later I'm lowering my backpack out of the treestand with my gun slung over my shoulder. I look up and there is a monster buck standing almost over top of my buck on the ground. Then It just walked off slowly towards my buddy. He didn't get it.
vittring
Tracker

Post by vittring »

Antler calls, bring them in at a full gallop!
I like this one! :mrgreen:
Thoke2014
Scout

Post by Thoke2014 »

I think this definitely needs to happen. I hate the way the deer flee in the game, most deer that I hunt will run about 50 yards and then look back. They also run in a straight line for the most part (don't zig-zag like in the game). I really like the flow plot idea but I think it would be rather tricky to implement, because you would have to clear a area of trees and replace it with a food plot. The last thing is the damn antlers, not every trophy whitetail is 16 points and has a 30 inch spread.
Thread about the antlers : http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=64703

About the animals responding from shots. The biggest WT I've ever seen IRL, I shot at with my TC Encore Muzzleloader at 40 yards in a mountain laurel thicket. My bullet hit a branch and deflected but the deer never even looked my way, it just kept on walking. I reloaded my gun but by the time I was done all I could see where his horns going up through the laurel thicket. My point is that like others have said deer sometimes ignore shots and have had it happen to me many time IRL.

Return to “Animal Suggestions”