Time for a Deer Overhaul

Countryhunter7
Tracker

Re: Time for a Deer Overhaul

Post by Countryhunter7 »

wvdeerhunter wrote:Back again to build upon this topic.

Here are two mulies fighting in the old Deerhunter 2005 game
https://youtu.be/L3IQQLooGd0

Have two Giant Bucks fight in front of you would be Awesome. Would love to see that on an Autumn Hunting reserve for North America.

http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=61945
wvdeerhunter
Tracker

Post by wvdeerhunter »

Love your link Contryhunter7. I posted similar about West Virginia some time ago: http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=41552

That's another topic which is kinda linked to this, but I won't go there today. Yes, it would be really awesome to see more interaction between all species.

We have all seen this scenario (in game) before...you are sitting in a tree stand and put out a bleat call. A buck comes in, but he's not the one you were hoping for. This is all great. The anticipation grows as you are sure there is another buck coming from just over the ridge line. Meanwhile, this other buck is just standing there staring at your tree...for what seems an eternity. Then here come a couple of does to the exact same spot almost mounting the buck so that they can stand in the same spot. Very unrealistic. That is when my mind is reminded that this is just a game.

Now imagine this. The other BIGGER buck does indeed come over the ridge. He spots the other buck in his territory and chases him off, or if they are similar in size, we could witness a short battle of the horns. Much better than watching them walk all over each other.

Little things like this could take the game to a new level.....TOTAL immersion.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

These kind of ideas need to be posted in "Thoughts & Suggestions" Lower Half Page Section under "Animation Suggestions Go Here".
That would be your best bet to get them looked at there.
I've posted there for all kinds of animal animation pictures.
Good Luck & be persistent.
wvdeerhunter
Tracker

Post by wvdeerhunter »

Continuing my relentless pursuit of a more realistic deerhunting experience:::::

Whitetail Deer snorting/alarm
https://youtu.be/1-3pxGHlEdY from time stamp 43 sec and on she does nothing but constantly snort.

Great for animation ideas for how a deer reacts when you alarm them:
https://youtu.be/B8QM2K3ihQo

just more thoughts...or am I just pi$%ing in the wind?
Countryhunter7
Tracker

Post by Countryhunter7 »

wvdeerhunter wrote:Continuing my relentless pursuit of a more realistic deerhunting experience:::::

https://youtu.be/1-3pxGHlEdY from time stamp 43 sec and on she does nothing but constantly snort.

I feel like a Snort Wheeze would be very nice, so you would know if that deer got out of the area instead of wasting your time looking for it, when it is long gone. It would be Nice since Roe Deer, Reindeer,and Alpine Ibex, all have their own Alarm Calls.
wvdeerhunter
Tracker

Post by wvdeerhunter »

Countryhunter7 wrote:I feel like a Snort Wheeze would be very nice, so you would know if that deer got out of the area instead of wasting your time looking for it, when it is long gone. It would be Nice since Roe Deer, Reindeer,and Alpine Ibex, all have their own Alarm Calls.
I agree. If you don't see an animal and you spook them, you don't know for sure from the sound if you spooked a deer, hog, whatever. At least I have not determined the difference. A distinct wheeze would be a VERY nice addition.

ALSO, the sound radius should be equal to the grunts. In reality you would hear the wheeze from a much greater distance than the grunt, but I don't think we want to modify the grunt radius.
Sqwee
Outfitter

Post by Sqwee »

Countryhunter7 wrote:
wvdeerhunter wrote:Continuing my relentless pursuit of a more realistic deerhunting experience:::::

I feel like a Snort Wheeze would be very nice, so you would know if that deer got out of the area instead of wasting your time looking for it, when it is long gone. It would be Nice since Roe Deer, Reindeer,and Alpine Ibex, all have their own Alarm Calls.

We DEFINITELY need that alarm blow. We call it "blowing." People get that confused with a snort wheeze. Snort wheeze is completely different. Blowing is an alarm for other deer. Usually the deer will flee if it gets to the point where it's blowing. That white tail flashing away as they're blowing is the worst...but sorely needed in the game.

For anyone who isn't sure--snort wheezes are a buck's announcement of aggression. If another buck is intruding, or the buck needs to assert his dominance over territory or does, he'll short wheeze to invite a fight. It's a notice of either "get out of here, or we're going to have a fight." A lot of time, it will attract a confident buck...which is why it is a good call that can be used by hunters. You just have to be careful when and how to use it because it can also scare deer away easily.
Sqwee
Outfitter

Post by Sqwee »

wvdeerhunter wrote:1. Whitetail should not bee-line to your calling position/stand. Added excitement if you don't know for sure which direction they might come in. They should circle in around your location at a trot and once they approach the "audible range", come in more warily.

2. Whitetail travel in small groups/herds too! Bucks in early season only, so I can see the logic in lone bucks, but whitetail does typically herd about the same as what I see the mule deer herds of does in the current game settings.

3. Not sure about mule deer, but like the roe deer, when spooked they will snort as they run away.

4. Trails. Trails running from feeding and bedding areas. Does typically follow the same routes daily, with the bucks not too far away on a less used trail, or not too far behind the does. I remember in the old Deerhunter series, mapmakers could "magnetize" certain areas, but when you did that, you never saw deer in other areas...and that is NOT good.

5. Corn feeders might be nice.

6. Rubs and Scrapes to clue us in on the REAL monster bucks. The hunter's mate could identify how old the scrape or rub is.

7. Bucks locking horns like the Ibex.

8. Food plots

9. Antler calls, bring them in at a full gallop!
1. So much yes. The predictable calling system is the worst part of the game. Too much calling from deer too.
2. Agree. Groups of doe needed. Sometimes a bachelor group of smaller or average bucks. Lone larger bucks. Larger bucks occasionally in any group.
3. Yes. I've responded to that in the last post.
4. YES. Not too predictable, but we need the ability to pattern them better for simple stand ambush hunting.
5. Nope. Rather have foodplots.
6. Yes. Scrapes where buck scraped the ground to urinate, in essence marking his territory. Rubs where bucks rub trees with antlers to build adrenaline and neck muscles for rut fights and sometimes to mark territory.
7. YES.
8. YES. They could be bought in 10m x 10m roughly square patches and placed on any relatively flat surface without trees. Same basic gameplay mechanics as feeders. You buy and place tilled squares. Then you buy seed, like buying hog corn. Seed it like filling feeder. Need to re-seed when crop gets used up. The amount of squares stack attractance. Maximum attractance is 10 squares, like having a full spread of decoys. Location still matters like the feeders.
9. Yep. No reason the reindeer call can't be used on all deer.
Thoke2014 wrote:1. I hate the way the deer flee in the game, most deer that I hunt will run about 50 yards and then look back. They also run in a straight line for the most part (don't zig-zag like in the game).

2. The last thing is the damn antlers, not every trophy whitetail is 16 points and has a 30 inch spread.
1. YES. They usually flee in a semi circle. Often times stopping and looking back before fleeing again.
2. OMG yes. Need tall high scoring racks with less points. The spreads on the game are so ridiculous and all the bigger bucks look the same.
Raptor02 wrote:Hunting deer in the hunter has been historically spot and stalk. While I do enjoy hunting this way it's hardly the only style. Stand hunting is something I really love irl. Doing all that research and scouting then setting up the perfect stand location is so incredibly fun. And that is just missing in this game. You can setup stands for bear or hog just not deer. Well you could but there's just no good reason for a deer to be in a specific area for any reason at all. There's no fruit or nut bearing trees ingame. No fields with plants deer would like to eat, they eat everywhere almost. No specific bedding areas we've found so far anyway. Deer don't seem to avoid areas that will expose them in the open like they would irl. There's so many things that could be improved.
Yes. I love stand hunting. Even though it's pretty much random where they walk. I wish there was a way to pattern them better and pinpoint better setups. I absolutely love placing stand and feeder setups in IRL and in the game. I spend most of my time in game searching for the PERFECT tree or location, and then I barely hunt it. haha. I still spend too much money on large equipment.
Countryhunter7 wrote:Would love to see that on an Autumn Hunting reserve for North America. http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=61945
Yep.
Countryhunter7
Tracker

Post by Countryhunter7 »

Sqwee wrote:
Countryhunter7 wrote:

We DEFINITELY need that alarm blow. We call it "blowing." People get that confused with a snort wheeze. Snort wheeze is completely different. Blowing is an alarm for other deer. Usually the deer will flee if it gets to the point where it's blowing. That white tail flashing away as they're blowing is the worst...but sorely needed in the game.

For anyone who isn't sure--snort wheezes are a buck's announcement of aggression. If another buck is intruding, or the buck needs to assert his dominance over territory or does, he'll short wheeze to invite a fight. It's a notice of either "get out of here, or we're going to have a fight." A lot of time, it will attract a confident buck...which is why it is a good call that can be used by hunters. You just have to be careful when and how to use it because it can also scare deer away easily.
You're 100% correct. I apologize for my mistake, I meant to say Blowing , but my mind was thinking other wise lol.
Writing a Post early in the morning, my mind was still tired lol.
wvdeerhunter
Tracker

Post by wvdeerhunter »

Yes, blowing. Wheezing/snort would be an added bonus! As if any of this makes any difference :cry:. Is anyone listening?

Return to “Animal Suggestions”