Bear Camo

OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Bear Camo

Post by OldMtnMan »

The deer family gets B&C, Army, and Trapper outfits that give protection on all maps anywhere on the map.

How about at least one outfit that does the same thing for all bears?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
tbug
Outfitter

Re: Bear Camo

Post by tbug »

I've never seen a bear wear camo :lol: I guess it works.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

tbug wrote:I've never seen a bear wear camo :lol: I guess it works.
Nice one tbug!! The same goes for aliens!! We could be completely surrounded and never know!!! So true!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
OldMtnMan wrote:The deer family gets B&C, Army, and Trapper outfits that give protection on all maps anywhere on the map.

How about at least one outfit that does the same thing for all bears?
Right on Pete. They should take a really good look at all the clothing lineups, and do an overhaul on the "3D camo" outfits for sure. There are plenty of things they could do to make them more distinguishable, especially on the locations where they work and which animals they are best against. For instance, they could add an ensemble for bears like you say, and another one for the north and east of Rougarou which currently has nothing, zippo, zilch. It's a mine field right now just trying to select the right clothing on at least half of the reserves, and it certainly doesn't need to be so difficult. It's like they're playing head games with us to sucker us into buying more than one outfit. Totally unnecessary!! There is clearly an opportunity here to refine and expand the lineups, and make some real money in the process. C'mon EW, how about it?? Jimbo
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

tbug wrote:I've never seen a bear wear camo :lol: I guess it works.
I believe you. You seem confused. Just looks at your avatar.

Jimbo...........I wonder if EW is aware it doesn't matter what we wear when hunting for real. I've hunted all my life wearing red and black checkered shirt and jackets with dark brown pants. I got within 10ft of animals. Movement and your scent is what gets you busted. We can wear a clown suit and go hunting if we stay still when the animals are looking at us and have the wind in out favor.

Camo was in vented by the military to fool other humans. The camo industry pushed it on to hunters and are making a fortune.

It was originally made to conceal equipment and worked into clothing for the soldiers. The veterans from the Vietnam war brought camo home and started to wear it on the street. It caught on but it was never made to fool animals.

The sad part is what I wear to do real hunting offers no protect in the game. That's so wrong. Look at an old picture of hunters from the 50's and look at what they're wearing. We didn't get busted if we knew how to hunt.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

The idea that camo only works on certain animals, or in certain areas of the maps and then loses all effect when you walk from one area to another is ridiculous. I'm not really a big camo guy, but I might buy more if it made more sense.

Besides camo, I would just like to see more clothing options in general. My most common outfit is jeans and a t-shirt but I do like to change my outfit at times to match the map I'm on or the type of hunting I'm doing.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

I disagree with mel_o_mel,

The fact that predators have different eyesight than deer is completely accurate. If you look at a deer you can clearly see that his eyes are on the opposite sides of the nose, meanwhile for us, humans, and the bears, the eyes are positioned in front, to be able to focus on a specific target, like the text you are reading right now. It is easy to sneak up on deer with BC camo because it gives the perception that you are part of the background, but if a bear looks at BC camo, the bear would be able to tell that the person wearing the camo is standing above ground, since forward eyes give animals the ability to focus and tell depth.

Here is an example I found on the front page of bear eyesight results:

A male grizzly bear was once observed trailing a sow in heat. The male had his nose to the ground and was dogging her. She circled back around and came past him at only about 100 feet, but when he looked up, he did not respond to the sight of her, he kept right on trailing her even though it took him 200 yards farther away from her present location. Many people might interpret this as a bear with poor vision."

The reason why the bear did not see the sow in the example above, was because the bear was likely young, and had not developed the ability to identify different objects as different entities, from a far distance.

This goes deep into behavioral and learned psychology, but here is a gist of it: A baby cannot tell a difference between a mothers face and the face of his older sister for a while until the brain learned that the faces have a slight difference and that difference leads to 2 different people, an older sister that will annoy him, or a mother that will breastfeed it, so the baby quickly learns the difference.

I know its hard to correlate this story to the example of the bear above, but think of it this way, the bear is inexperienced, it could have been his first time seeing a sow, although he has instincts that tell him he has to hunt for food, he has not yet learned that the sow is something he can catch up to, kill, and eat.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Mel..........The jeans in real life would get you busted. That's why I wear dark brown ones.

The deer family can see the color blue. Not only see it but it glows to them. You'd look like a blue neon light. :D
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

curlyCoyote wrote:A male grizzly bear was once observed trailing a sow in heat. The male had his nose to the ground and was dogging her. She circled back around and came past him at only about 100 feet, but when he looked up, he did not respond to the sight of her, he kept right on trailing her even though it took him 200 yards farther away from her present location. Many people might interpret this as a bear with poor vision."

I know its hard to correlate this story to the example of the bear above, but think of it this way, the bear is inexperienced, it could have been his first time seeing a sow, although he has instincts that tell him he has to hunt for food, he has not yet learned that the sow is something he can catch up to, kill, and eat.
curly, that boar wasn't chasing "a sow in heat" to kill and eat her, he was trying to catch up to mate her. He may have seen her when he looked up, but not likely. Grizzlies use their noses first and foremost, their primary sense by far, until they can confirm with their eyes and ears. Had he seen or heard her, and realized it was the same sow he was dogging, he would most certainly have headed directly towards her, because if she was in full estrous "he had lovin', not fightin', on his mind".... ;)
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

JimboCrow wrote: he would most certainly have headed directly towards her, because if she was in full estrous "he had lovin', not fightin', on his mind".... ;)
I'm guessing thats a joke I'm too young to understand...so I can't confirm or deny your original claim (Since I didn't know that bears specifically use their nose to hunt).

Also, you made me realize another point, there are too many variables in this observation of the male grizzly to make a valid claim based on a single independent variable, just because the bear could of been non-experienced, does not mean that it was why he did not attempt to attack her.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I agree the bear was following her scent. In Estrus or not he will smell her. A bear can smell a dead animal 20 miles away. It has a nose that can't be beat.

The deer family see's everything in shades of yellow. Using a broken pattern helps but doesn't hide you. Move and they will see you no matter how well you blend in. They also learn to recognize the human shape. No other animal walks on two feet. Don't let them see you doing that.

Fooling animals is much much more than putting on camo which only hides you from the other hunters. For whatever reason you want to do that? I want them to see me so they don't shoot me. Which is why Colorado requires blaze orange. Why bow hunters don't have to wear it is beyond me. Rifle bear season is exactly the same dates as bow season. So, is muzzleloader season. If everybody would wear proper hunting clothes we wouldn't need blaze orange in any season. We had it right in the 50's. It's all wrong now.

Sorry, it's a sore spot for me. I've argued with the Colorado DOW until I was blue in the face and got nowhere. It's sad this game got it wrong too.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “Equipment Suggestions”