Sunglasses visual effects

Beano8U
Scout

Sunglasses visual effects

Post by Beano8U »

I know people have asked for real purpose for the sunglasses in the past and now they are actually functional.
The brightness does help a little with the click of a button, but that is all it does.
Just wondering if a "polarised" effect could be added as the brightness doesn't always make any difference for visibility.
Light and dark spots just get darker (or lighter with the yellow ones)
Would be nice if the contrast would change, mainly in Whiterime Ridge where the sun glare can be bad and the glasses have no effect on the next tracking dome is barely visible or not.
I only ever buy Polarised sunglasses irl as they make so much difference compared to just "shades"
Would be a nice feature :)

HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Sunglasses visual effects

Post by HooCairs »

I found out when doing longer shots and the rain sets in turning on the sunglasses removes the bright white and increases the contrast so you can see the target better. Quite cool effect. But otherwise I find the sunglasses useless. In Whiterime I only play from 5am to about 7.30am. Afterwards the tracks become hard to see no matter if you use the sunglasses or not.

Real sunglasses filter the bright glare, but that does not turn everything dark. Not sure if this could be truly mimicked in the game.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

I use the yellows all the time in places like TGT, WI, PB, SC & such where there are a lot of dark shadows. It really brightens up the deep woods & helps visibility. I think what you're describing might be an HDR effect, where the dark would get brighter and the light would get darker just providing a wider range overall. It would definitely have it's uses.
Beano8U
Scout

Post by Beano8U »

A good point Hoo, but I think it would only be a visual/lighting effect that may be able to change to address the issue.
I am wondering if this may be the new item they mentioned in the latest status update? haha
It would be nice.
Afterall, if I am hunting for something. I could very well be spending the whole (in game) day in Whiterime Ridge to compete for a great prize that theHunter Italy and Fiocchi Ammunition have so generously sponsored and organised for example.
No offense Hoo, I usually hunt what I need at certain times. But certain competitions require you to be doing long hunts in WR for multiple species. Many recent competitions required this as competition attempts are limited.
Whiterime Ridge was only a lead example where the lighting effect is more prominent. The polarising effect would be beneficial to many reserves.
I would even pay for this feature if it was to become available.

Beano8U
Scout

Post by Beano8U »

The best way I can describe polarised lenses is...
Middle of summer, bright sky, high sun shining on the road while you are driving. If you tilt your head left to right you will see the effect of polarised lenses.
It just takes off the main glare and slightly darkens the rest. If you tilt your head 90 degrees, you will most likely see the same glare off the surface of the road as if you weren't wearing the glasses.
The in-game effects just raise or lower the brightness level (and add a tint on one occasion)
Unless you have experienced polarised glasses before, you probably won't understand what I mean.

Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Beano8U wrote:The best way I can describe polarised lenses is...
Middle of summer, bright sky, high sun shining on the road while you are driving. If you tilt your head left to right you will see the effect of polarised lenses.
It just takes off the main glare and slightly darkens the rest. If you tilt your head 90 degrees, you will most likely see the same glare off the surface of the road as if you weren't wearing the glasses.
The in-game effects just raise or lower the brightness level (and add a tint on one occasion)
Unless you have experienced polarised glasses before, you probably won't understand what I mean.
Do people even make sunglasses that aren't polarized these days? Even the $10 sunglasses you can pick up at the gas station are polarized. The $8 Berkley sunglasses you can get at the Walmart fishing section are polarized. Fishing is the best use of these imo, as they take the sun glare off the water. In-game, I'm not sure we have any "glare" that needs removing, do we?
Beano8U
Scout

Post by Beano8U »

Hawkeye wrote:
Do people even make sunglasses that aren't polarized these days? Even the $10 sunglasses you can pick up at the gas station are polarized. The $8 Berkley sunglasses you can get at the Walmart fishing section are polarized. Fishing is the best use of these imo, as they take the sun glare off the water. In-game, I'm not sure we have any "glare" that needs removing, do we?
Yes.

When did you do a full day's hunt on Whitrime Ridge?

On another note.... Every single post I see from you is negative.
Would you agree that the current sunglasses are polarising? Are they effective in finding your next track or show scenery at Whiterime Ridge?
Would you agree they could be better?
If I wanted to change brightness levels, I can do that with my graphics card settings. I can even use an overlay.
All it does is change brightness levels (or a yellow tint)
It is not realistic.
And, btw. While polarised sunnies are cheap these days. Not all are polarised as they claim.

Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Beano8U wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Yes.

When did you do a full day's hunt on Whitrime Ridge?

On another note.... Every single post I see from you is negative.
Would you agree that the current sunglasses are polarising? Are they effective in finding your next track or show scenery at Whiterime Ridge?
Would you agree they could be better?
If I wanted to change brightness levels, I can do that with my graphics card settings. I can even use an overlay.
All it does is change brightness levels (or a yellow tint)
It is not realistic.
And, btw. While polarised sunnies are cheap these days. Not all are polarised as they claim.
I would agree that the current sunglasses in WRR remove the glare. I had 2 6 hour hunts in WRR using them last week. What they don't do though, is show more contrast between the tracking globe and the snow. That's hard to make a real-life comparison to, as we don't have tracking globes in the wild. IMO, it's the globes themselves that need to be adjusted while wearing sunglasses.

If you feel my posting history needs moderation or reported on, please feel free to send to Tod or TK.
Beano8U
Scout

Post by Beano8U »

It's not just the domes, as I mentioned. The game would be more pleasant with polarised glasses so you can differentiate the terrain also.
As you would get with polarised glasses.

EDIT: As I mentioned. Nearly suggestion I have made comes back with a negative from you.

Beano8U
Scout

Post by Beano8U »

They do not remove glare. The glare is indicated by not being able to see the domes from animal tracks. The glare reduction from your hunt must have been due to overcast/snowy conditions.
Polarised sunglasses DO remove such glare in real life and should also do the same in the game. It's almost impossible to track an animal in the snow at Whiterime Ridge. But I am almost certain polarised glasses in the Arctic in summer would be better than no glasses, or just "shades"?

Return to “Equipment Suggestions”