Trail cameras

DaveyCockett
Tracker

Trail cameras

Post by DaveyCockett »

Trail cameras that you can put on bait sites and tree stands. It would be cool if you could check them through your tracker. Or because it is a huge upgrade have it to you can only check from a purchased trophy room. Or have it set to where they only show animals that have spawned within a certain range of placed camera. Can set up to 5 per reserve.
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Re: Trail cameras

Post by outrider »

before theHunter was launched. there was a site you could go to and watch a trail camera that was set up to see the animals in the game...but, the animals didn't show up to often..... :( to me, it got boring real quick :cry: . and i am very sure that there were people that would go to that site and see animals all the time..... :D
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

if the hunter had any form of persistent spawning id say yes for sure, but as the animals are generated and lost with the start and close of a hunt, having cameras on the reserve to see if animals are at your feeder or get clocked at specific locations that most people would set up next to or near tents just seems to tick all the boxes we dont want ticked. pay to win,spawnmashing, fast track to monsters. so id say no at this point im afraid
DaveyCockett
Tracker

Post by DaveyCockett »

]if the hunter had any form of persistent spawning id say yes for sure, but as the animals are generated and lost with the start and close of a hunt
Great point. But I do not mean for it to work outside of single hunt. I understand that it is a new random setup each launch.
having cameras on the reserve to see if animals are at your feeder or get clocked at specific locations that most people would set up next to or near tents just seems to tick all the boxes we dont want ticked. pay to win,spawnmashing, fast track to monsters
Another valid argument. So may I suggest we then have to sneak into the position of the camera to get the photos of any animals. Then it would be more like finding a single track with only an idea of what you are chasing. So you would have to then find a corresponding track that you feel is from said animal.

Now when you see an animal in your trail cam set up on say your favorite stand and or bait site, that does not mean it is in that specific area. Just shows you an animal or multiple that could or could not be a monster living inside the reserve you launched.

A code could be written to keep monsters from being seen on the cameras. But I would prefer it just be like finding a rare animal. And you could have levels of camera ability. As the tent is the biggest problem with spawn mashing I understand the point clearly. But because the bait site and tents are already set to be the most effective way of killing a monster ( in theory ). I would not think having trail cams increases this, It could be used for multiple things though for new community stuff.

1. It could be another way of getting an epic photo in TheHunter CLassic. That being said another comp for having the best trail cam photo.

2. If you do catch a monster on the camera it would make you that much more into a hunt you launched. The stories that would be told of a five hour hunt you just did to find the monster you knew was there. To either succeed or fail both would be an epic tale. Queue hunting stories that are called fake news until now because you can save the photo.

3. Imagine being able to post two pictures of your giant. The one from the trail cam and your trophy shot. Boom you just made your weekly trophy story that much more epic and stand out.

4. Now the grand slam of it all take number one, two and three and then imagine it's trophy lodge worthy. KABOOM MIND BLOWN! You post all three photos and you are a legend!!! Another part of the wiki stuff could be added to show legends of the hunts. If it qualifies as a real record book or true rare animal.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

I really don't like the idea of knowledge of what you might encounter in the reserve while not even in-game if you see a 200-inch whitetail you are obviously going to be hunting that reserve like mad because you know what animal is there, I know that's how real life works where a buck will still be around an area where it was last seen since we can't "relaunch our planet server". I think not knowing whats in our reserve is super interesting.
thehammer223
Tracker

Post by thehammer223 »

curlyCoyote wrote:I really don't like the idea of knowledge of what you might encounter in the reserve while not even in-game if you see a 200-inch whitetail you are obviously going to be hunting that reserve like mad because you know what animal is there, I know that's how real life works where a buck will still be around an area where it was last seen since we can't "relaunch our planet server". I think not knowing whats in our reserve is super interesting.
Have to agree with you. Also, as far as I know, the animals are generated differently every time you start a game, so you would not be able to see it out of game. Not only that but it would be hard to capture deer, moose, elk, and other species that do not have a bait site.

[When in doubt, use a bigger caliber.]
[My TheHunter Classic name is "Cerebral_Stalker"]
atc86
Tracker

Post by atc86 »

Would be cool, was thinking about this recently.

The cameras could have motion detection which gives you an alert on huntermate and you could access the cameras from the huntermate. Don't know if this would be possible within the game engine though.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

atc86 wrote:Would be cool, was thinking about this recently.

The cameras could have motion detection which gives you an alert on huntermate and you could access the cameras from the huntermate. Don't know if this would be possible within the game engine though.
That sounds interesting, maybe the cameras would have limited batteries, and you would have to pay gm for each battery.
deerman30
Tracker

Post by deerman30 »

If trail cameras became a legitimate thing, they'd have to fall under "Game Management"

I Love Big Racks
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

atc86 wrote:Would be cool, was thinking about this recently.

Technically, the game engine could certainly do it, but that's not the problem. As you probably know, only animals and terrain within a few hundred meters around you are actually rendered (visible) during the game. So for each camera you have placed around the reserve, the game would have to render all the animals that came within visible range of the cameras, as well as the terrain. Not only does that mean the game would have to be constantly detecting whether unrendered animals were within range of the cameras, but would also have to spend the resources to render all the additional graphics (animals and terrain). This would likely tax performance quite a bit.
Personal Bests...

Return to “Equipment Suggestions”