the Rangefinder is a must for the new 30x65mm Spotting Scope

J_Birdman
Hunter

Re: the Rangefinder is a must for the new 30x65mm Spotting Scope

Post by J_Birdman »

I believe it should be noted that EW is still looking for a reason to release a Spotting Scope/Rangefinder combo. I just watched a part of last week's Twitch Stream and happened to see some people in the chat asking about a combo optic. That "reason" is player interest, your feedback. That's all it takes. If more people would like to see such an item be released, please let EW know now while they're still interested in the idea. If not here, then it can also be done while watching next week's stream.

Here's what was asked and what was said, cued up to the part I saw.. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/267717374?t=50m20s
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Make an upgrade worth about the price of the 5x rangefinder and that adds some weight to it as well so people already happy don't have to do nothing, but those like me that would rather have just one item at a given time have an option.
Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the rf one the 30x, but doesn't it look like the 16x already has an appendix as of now, looking at the store picture?
Last edited by BuiuRei on June 7th, 2018, 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

At least make the crosshair in the 7X Rangefinder a bit more refined. At 300m it's obscuring the object in mind and with a too big empty space in the middle.

Oh, and would I want an internal rangefinder in the new spotting scope? Ehm, yes!
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Generalkommendant wrote:At least make the crosshair in the 7X Rangefinder a bit more refined. At 300m it's obscuring the object in mind and with a too big empty space in the middle.
Oh, and would I want an internal rangefinder in the new spotting scope? Ehm, yes!
During the stream, I believe TreeKiwi said that the current rangefinder is fine after the ERR update, and a combo optic would be a "quality of life" item. I must disagree with those statements, while agreeing with Generalkommendant's. IMO the current 7x42mm rangefinder binoculars are quite difficult to use at the new longer ranges. IMO the crosshairs are too large and obscuring, and much too far spread apart for accuracy. That being said, along with all my thoughts about it in this thread and another(https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=140), I have to add that if such an item were to be created I would certainly be in favor of it having a variable zoom such as the 16x50mm and 30x65mm spotting scopes do. I believe it was Radamus who first spoke on this, and it makes sense seeing that it would still be a spotting scope.
In the Status Update - 21st May 2018 thread Radamus wrote:
\m/ wrote:Bino/spotter + rangefinder in a combo can cost the price of 2, even 3 single binos, but thats only my single opinion. Why? Cuz only one slot for both functions it is worth for me.
agreed- unless they are going to add a pocket I like this. As it is now, I've learned to live using 2 slots, for for the RF binos and one for the spotting scope. As long as it's variable zoom we got a deal.
It may be old news now, two and a half weeks later, but there's a lot of clamor for a combo optic in even just that thread alone. I would not be surprised if some, if not many, of those who already bought the 30x65mm spotting scope were to also buy a new combo optic. The reason I say this is because I've seen a lot of good talk from those who bought it and are since unhappy about the reticle.

EW, these are hunters with lots of time in the field, and much interest in your product. It's my belief that if you were to take a hard look into those threads/discussions and create a combo optic using the player input offered there, combined with the functionality of not having to equip two optics and use up two inventory slots, you'd have a real crowd-pleaser and money-maker on your hands.(in fact, if you were to also sell two more inventory slots to us, you would need to hire a temp just to count the money, but that's best left for another thread lol) Everybody wins, happy hunting.

PS - I have a question for those who announced they would like to see a combo optic but have since bought the 30x65mm spotting scope; Would you feel salty if EW were to release a new combo optic, and if so, why?
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

J_Birdman wrote: PS - I have a question for those who announced they would like to see a combo optic but have since bought the 30x65mm spotting scope; Would you feel salty if EW were to release a new combo optic, and if so, why?
Yes, in a way it would feel "taunting".
Having just bought the 30x65 scope and if a new one came out, a combo, not only would the 7X Rangefinder be put to the shelf. The 30x65 would be there too collecting dust together with the 16x50.
Would rather see that they'd sell an "upgrade" of sort to the new spotting scope.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

I appreciate that honest opinion, and completely understand it. Nonetheless, new gear does get created, and sometimes on rare occasion does replace gear we've already bought. EW never said they wouldn't make a combo optic. In fact, this is the first time I've ever seen them truly consider making one, having spoken about it/asked for more feedback on the idea several times now. Personally, I never bought the new spotting scope. My hopes were(and still are) high for a combo optic, and I've been holding out for the dream to become a reality ever since the ERR release. The fact that they're still practically begging us to speak up and ask for one says a lot to me.

The bottom line, for me, is that EW never had a doubt that the 30x65mm spotting scope was going to released. My guess is that it was already finished and awaiting the big ERR update ever since the first hint was announced to us, but even if it was still being created during those three weeks of ERR hints, it was going to be released no matter what.(i.e., EW had already invested the money into creating the 30x65mm spotting scope and so of course were going to release it no matter what, thus the only real issue was(and still is) the "if/when" of creating a combo optic) Who is to say when that "proper time" or "grace period" is, or isn't? I honestly do not know, and I doubt there would be a general consensus.

If EW were to announce they've created a combo optic(say this coming Monday, the 11th) and were to unbelievably ask us, "When would you ladies and gentlemen prefer we release it?", I think that I could then accurately guess the general consensus; "Now, please!". :lol:

Return to “Equipment Suggestions”