How about a new classic sniper rifle, eh?

Cauliflower
Tracker

How about a new classic sniper rifle, eh?

Post by Cauliflower »

Here are my suggestions for a new classic rifle: (Type 99 Arisaka). The type 99 Arisaka rifle pros are The main advantage is the ability to use stripper clips while having a scoped equipped, making empty reloads almost preferable to saving those extra one or two rounds. It is tied for first in terms of raw damage among the bolt-action rifles, making it very easy to pick off injured targets before they can escape. The ability to specialize for faster, more aggressive play makes it usable for objective play so long as you can control your engagement distances. As far as the cons go, It is outclassed by other rifles over long-range and can seem lackluster for those who like to do extreme long-range sniping. The rate-of-fire is nothing to write home about without specializations, and even then, it gets outclassed by rifles such as the Lee-Enfield.

*Bonus: The Type 99 has been described as one of the strongest bolt-action rifles ever made, and it was the first mass-produced military rifle to have a chrome-lined bore. More than 3.5 million were produced by the end of World War II. For caliber size, I was thinking 7.7×58mm. This gives us something new to work with so I think it's a good suggestion for a rifle.

The next rifle is (Krag-Jorgensen). A unique rifle in that it’s not bad per se, more so that there are just many better options as fire as sniper rifles go. It serves its purpose as a long-range weapon well, it’s just that there isn’t much of a reason to use it outside of maintaining a little variety. The rifle's advantages are Zero damage drop-off means that you can always get a two-shot kill center-ass and one-shot headshot at any range no matter the distance. The high bullet velocity does make your shots hit almost instantly, so long as you’re on target. Equipping a scope will not block the receiver; therefore, keeping reloads consistent among all loadouts. The disadvantages are It has an abysmal reload time - taking almost as long as the Lee-Enfield; despite having four fewer rounds. The weapon is incapable of using stripper clips, so each round must be reloaded one-by-one even if there are five or more slots available. Despite having one more round than all other rifles, except for the Lee-Enfield, the magazine of six is still not competitive.

*Bonus: The Krag–Jørgensen is a repeating bolt action rifle designed by the Norwegians Ole Herman Johannes Krag and Erik Jørgensen in the late 19th century. It was adopted as a standard arm by Norway, Denmark, and the United States. About 300 were delivered to Boer forces of the South African Republic. As for caliber sizes, we could be talking 8×58mmR Danish Krag, .30-40 Krag or 6.5×55mm Swedish which we already have.

The next rifle is (Ross Rifle MK.lll). Advantages are A higher cycling rate for the bolt gives the Ross ample opportunity to make quick follow-up shots to easily finish off wounded targets. A decent reload speed allows the user to get back into the fight quickly if an animal runs away and didn't drop. It can down targets pretty quickly if there are herds of animals next to each other. The disadvantages are The damage is low all compared to other weapons in its class; this means that wounded targets might survive a direct shot center-mass if they’ve had enough time to heal. The Bullet-Velocity is mediocre as well - not the worst, but there are several better options if you want to engage something at a longer distance. The five-round capacity makes reloading frequent - scopes will exacerbate this by blocking the receiver and forcing you to reload one-by-one.

* Bonus: The Ross rifle is a straight-pull bolt action .303 inch-caliber rifle that was produced in Canada from 1903 until 1918.The Ross Mk.II (or "model 1905") rifle was highly successful in target shooting before World War I, but the close chamber tolerances, lack of primary extraction, and overall length made the Mk.III (or "1910") Ross rifle unsuitable for the conditions of trench warfare, exacerbated by the often poor quality ammunition issued. So this is pretty much using the same caliber size as Lee Enfield.

Overall I think the first one is my top listed suggestion. The type 99 Arisaka is very unique and different. It's a Japanese rifle and I haven't seen any Japanese or Asian weapons on the hunter classic market yet. This should be a good suggestion. Not to mention it was one of the strongest bolt action rifles ever made!
Hosenfuhrer
Spotter

Re: How about a new classic sniper rifle, eh?

Post by Hosenfuhrer »

It is a very well written suggestion. It would be interesting to see the Arisaka as a new weapon with a new caliber. Now, the Krag poses a bit of a problem since it could be done in several calibers, and it needs to be decided if there is really a need for a third weapon in 6.5x55, or if there would be a new, in this case proprietary, cartridge. Also, is it going to use the dump loading from the side gate (and which model of gate would it be, the one that swings forward or one that tips to the side?) or single loading from the top? Now as for the Ross, I like the idea of it being a .303 since we only have one rifle in the game that uses it, so reusing that asset would make sense. It could also have the same reload animation as the Lee-Enfield we have currently, since IIRC it could use the Enfield charger clips. Although, now that I look at the current L-E animation, the clip should be manually removed, as it can't be pushed out by the bolt.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”