Valmet Petra - a semi-auto that is not an AR

Hosenfuhrer
Spotter

Valmet Petra - a semi-auto that is not an AR

Post by Hosenfuhrer »

I have seen numerous people asking for a big bore AR style rifle, and now that the .308 has been buffed I guess even more people are going to ask for an AR-10 style rifle. There is an AR-15 in the game already, so I see this a bit redundant. But what if there was an alternative?

Back in the 1970s moose hunting was a rising hobby in Finland, and many FN and Remington semi-automatic rifles were imported and sold as a result. Valmet saw that there was a market for a semi-automatic hunting rifle, and since they were already producing the RK-62, the Finnish AK-47 variant, they decided to make one based on the RK receiver, making the manufacturing considerably cheaper than making a new gun from scratch. As a result, in the early 1980s, Valmet Petra was born. The name Petra was chosen because it was the old Finnish word for deer. It was available in .223 Remington .243 Winchester,.308 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield. The rifle was marketed in the US as Valmet M88 Hunter, and was the US "gun of the year" in 1986.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkdV03mnUUE

Any of the calibers mentioned would suffice, and magazine size could be between 3 and 5 for balancing.
TurboKid
Tracker

Re: Valmet Petra - a semi-auto that is not an AR

Post by TurboKid »

I would like it in .243 because we already have .223 ar, the .308 heartwood is bolt action with a 5 round magazine. and the .30-06 has a lever action and bolt action version.

Leaving the .243 rifle we have now with only bolt action. With no magazine. 1shot. as the only version.

I think this cool looking rifle you have here would fit nicely in the game as a .243 caliber with a 5 round magazine. What do you think?

Nice video also.
Hosenfuhrer
Spotter

Post by Hosenfuhrer »

Now when the Puma has been released and the lowest allowed rifle caliber for it is .243 I think your idea of this being in .243 is on point.
DiligentBeast

Post by DiligentBeast »

I like this idea verry much. Tho it should have a limited capacity and maybe limited scope allowance so it stays away from becoming "the rifle". It looks sweet.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”