10mm pistol should be usable on bears

Velba
Spotter

10mm pistol should be usable on bears

Post by Velba »

As the title suggests, the 10mm should be ethical to hunt bears with. It the most powerful semi-auto cartridge made, and has amazing ballistics. There is no reason the 10mm should not be ethical for bear, if we can take Elk in the game.
Hosenfuhrer
Spotter

Re: 10mm pistol should be usable on bears

Post by Hosenfuhrer »

I assume you mean bigger bears, because It's ethical for black bears currently.
jeff1963
Hunter

Post by jeff1963 »

I don't think anything below .45 Auto should be ethical for any of our Bears.
Thanks, ~Jeff

Velba
Spotter

Post by Velba »

Hosenfuhrer wrote:I assume you mean bigger bears, because It's ethical for black bears currently.
Correct, I do in fact mean ethical for ALL bears, poor clarity in the post
jeff1963 wrote:I don't think anything below .45 Auto should be ethical for any of our Bears.
10mm is ABOVE .45ACP substantially balistically speaking. 10mm is closer to .357/.44mag than a .45ACP .
Max pressure on a 10mm is 37,500 psi while .45 is 21,000 psi, and 10mm can maintain 1000 fps up to 100 yards, while most .45 leave the muzzle at under 1000.

And its not like 10mm is slinging 65gr projectiles, we are talking 155gr-180gr depending on the round.

~EDIT~
We all know how ammo manufactures are with their numbers, but I found this;

10mm 200gr Nosler JHP 1250fps / 694ft lbs. - 5"bbl
jeff1963
Hunter

Post by jeff1963 »

As a an avid hand loader of various pistol and Rifle rounds, i have to say your numbers are ambitious, you're not likely going to get more 600-650 ft lbs. Numbers aside I don't think I would feel good using either Auto round in the face of a charging bear, the situation of having to try and down a bear in self defense would be hairy to say the least. I would prefer a Magnum round in a trusty S&W model 29. :-)
Thanks, ~Jeff

Velba
Spotter

Post by Velba »

jeff1963 wrote:As a an avid hand loader of various pistol and Rifle rounds, i have to say your numbers are ambitious, you're not likely going to get more 600-650 ft lbs. Numbers aside I don't think I would feel good using either Auto round in the face of a charging bear, the situation of having to try and down a bear in self defense would be hairy to say the least. I would prefer a Magnum round in a trusty S&W model 29. :-)
http://www.ballistics101.com/10mm.php

There seem to be a lot of loads that are 700+ftlbs. A good 6 inch barrel will help too.
To each his own I guess, I would feel a whole lot better with a 10mm 14+1 with a red dot , and more preferably a .308 AR, than any wheel gun :lol: , I don't intend to go bear hunting with a bow like my neighbour anytime soon!

But I'd never turn down the chance to add another nice S&W to my safe, OR a Python !
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

Here some articles about the 10mm vs 45ACP that support the 10mm over 45 for Hunting and in some ways the Velba's statement , So yes should be Ethical for Big Bears with a 220gr

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/10mm-vs- ... t-for-you/
Muzzle/Velocity, Trajectory/Energy Chart

..On the other hand, the 10mm Auto is the clear winner if you want to hunt with a handgun. It shoots a lighter bullet at a much faster muzzle velocity than the .45. Not only does this translate into more kinetic energy, but the cartridge also has a flatter trajectory than the .45. Correspondingly, this makes it easier to take longer range shots.

Those hot 10mm loads also hit harder, make larger wound channels, and dispatch game faster than the .45 ACP.Heck, even the .45 ACP +P load by Buffalo Bore in the table above isn't even in the same league as the run-of-the-mill 10mm Hornady XTP load.

For these same reasons, it's a better cartridge to use than the .45 ACP for self-defense against large four-legged predators, too. ..

http://americanshootingjournal.com/10mm-vs-45acp/
...For the 10mm Auto folks that use this baby in their hunt, this is the way to go.
It shoots a lighter bullet at a much faster muzzle velocity than the .45. In physics this means it has more kinetic energy and the cartridge has a flatter trajectory than the .45 ACP. Which means reaching out and touching an animal from a distance is easy.
When the 10mm hit its target it hits it harder than the .45 and makes larger wound holes. That also translate to putting down your game than a .45 ACP.
Even if the .45 user was packing Buffalo Bore with P+, 10mm Hornady XTP loads is in a league of its own.

For these same reasons, it’s a better cartridge to use than the .45 ACP for personal defense against large four-legged predators...

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”