Silencer, Good Idea or Bad

Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: Silencer, Good Idea or Bad

Post by Tod1d »

But are they a good idea to have in-game?

I think so, as long as you don't have to register them with Doc for 200 em$ :D

They could be implemented so they only reduce the volume of the sound coming out of your speakers, with no effect on spooking.
Or, they could reduce spooking a small amount so as not to have too much of an adverse effect on the balance of the game.

My grand-daughter would buy me one so she doesn't jump out of her shorts when I "Shoot the moose, Papa!" :lol:
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Personally I think that silencers are ugly. Taking a beautiful rifle and sticking a big block on the end just looks bad to me. When I'm out hunting I'm only there to shoot one deer, so I have no need for one. Besides, I like to hear a big boom when I squeeze the trigger.

I don't really think we need them in the game, but if we end up with them so be it.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Longmann
Scout

Post by Longmann »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:When I'm out hunting I'm only there to shoot one deer, so I have no need for one. Besides, I like to hear a big boom when I squeeze the trigger.
Exactly. :D A loud blast, kick in the shoulder and a humane vital hit is the peak of my hunts. A reward after a long time of waiting or stalking.
I'd prefer not to use a silencer, not in real life nor in the game.
Spoiler:
We pray our sights be straight and our aim be true,
We pray for no pain to the game we pursue.
We thank you, Lord, for this land,
We thank you for the sights from our stands.
We pray for safety one and all,
We pray we may return next fall.
thehammer223
Tracker

Post by thehammer223 »

Tod1d wrote:But are they a good idea to have in-game?

I think so, as long as you don't have to register them with Doc for 200 em$ :D

They could be implemented so they only reduce the volume of the sound coming out of your speakers, with no effect on spooking.
Or, they could reduce spooking a small amount so as not to have too much of an adverse effect on the balance of the game.

My grand-daughter would buy me one so she doesn't jump out of her shorts when I "Shoot the moose, Papa!" :lol:
My original thought was to have them for 249 em$. They could only go on guns between 223 and the 340 weatherby magnum. Someone else suggested that they would spook animals in the render range but not outside the render range. I feel like this would be realistic to the game and very useful. I figure out of the like 30,000 the hunter classic memebers, if half of them bought 1 silencer, they would make roughly 37,000 U.S. dollars. Not a bad update in my opinion.

[When in doubt, use a bigger caliber.]
[My TheHunter Classic name is "Cerebral_Stalker"]
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

The 4 ver dispute of this tool again on forum, some say bad idea, others good idea.

Why don't respect each one tots and ways of "hunting" playing this game, the Spook range of animals where changed/bugged long time ago!! even for Bows/Crossbow, If you don't want to use it, don't buy it, let the others Do.

Long time ago (yei, I'm quoting Star Wars) the spook range of Bows/cbow Pyton/Tenpoint where some 70mts, parker some 20-30, then all change!! now you shot a Turkey/Deer at 60mts with Parker and ALL AROUND 100MTS FLEE, Tenpoint even at 140mts

Rifles, the louders where 8x57, 9.3x62 you can hear the sound at some 350-400mts, then again all change now you shot the 8x57, 7mm, .340, 45-70, Scout and you can hear on MP the sound at more than 550mts and EVERYTHING SPOOK in 400-500mts.

I remember before MP was implemented you can shot with .270. .243, 30-06 coyotes/does at 180mts and some spook not all the pack/herd, just the ones closer to the one you shot.

Also I remember when then .22LR where launched, the spook range was so low that every one protest and Devs "fix" the spook range to "80-90mts" or so, well everything was fine until new updates, new weapons, new BUGS and now Everything around 250mts spook when you shot with the .22LR ??? :shock: :?

So yes I want a silencer or the spook range be reduced/fixed, even will to pay 1000EM$, ethical/good or not good for game/what's the deal? People get real THIS IS A GAME, NOT REAL HUNTING! The looong time ago motto "most real hunting game" was lost also long time ago.

Here's a and REAL EXAMPLE of NOT REAL HUNTING/SIMULATOR, and for those against of introducing Suppressor/Silencer to the GAME: ,
WHY NOT SUPPRESSOR BUT YES TO THE UGLY NOT REAL WEREWOLF ON GAME??

Here's some regulation on EUROPE, (all ready Hawkeye post the use for USA)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silencer_(firearms)
Regulation
Legal regulation of silencers varies widely around the world. In some nations, such as Finland, France, and New Zealand some or all types of suppressor are essentially unregulated and are sold through retail stores or by mail-order.[32] In other countries their possession or use is more restricted.

Europe
In Norway, silencers are not regulated and can be purchased by anyone for any firearm. No licence or permits are necessary.[58]
In Denmark, the Danish Weapons And Explosives Law makes the unlicensed possession of a silencer illegal. As of 7 May 2014 it is legal to own and use silencers for hunting.[59]
In Finland, a firearm silencer is classified as a firearm part by law. Purchasing a suppressor requires a firearm ownership permit, which is to be shown to the vendor at the moment of purchase.[60]
Silencers for rimfire pistols are sold without government oversight in France.[32]
In the Russian Federation, using firearm silencers (legally defined as "devices for noiseless shooting") by civilians is prohibited, and the dealers are prohibited from selling them, but there is no penalty for purchasing or possession of such devices.[61]
In Sweden, silencers for specified calibers are legal for hunting purposes and a license is required.[27]:9
In the UK, the owner's firearm certificate (FAC) will need to show permission for the purchase of a "sound moderator" and also the firearm for which it is intended. All firearms certificates have the firearm and caliber approved by the police and annotated to the document before a silencer may be purchased. Applicants must show a "good reason" for needing the accessory.[62]
In Germany, a silencer is treated the same in the eyes of the law as the weapon it is designed for. Accordingly, suppressors for air guns, which can be purchased by anyone over 18 years of age, can as well be purchased by anyone over said age. Since, amongst other things, "good cause" must be shown to be issued a license to own a firearm in Germany, the same "good cause" requirement exists for suppressors for these firearms. This requirement is handled very varyingly across the States of Germany. The State of Bavaria accepts the possession of a valid hunter's license as "good cause" to own an unlimited number of suppressors, while North Rhine-Westphalia does not accept hunting as a "good cause" at all. Baden-Württemberg accepts "active exercise of hunting" as "good cause", but only allows the purchase of one silencer.[63]
In Italy, a silencer is considered a prohibited firearms accessory, allowed only to the armed forces, police and government agency.[citation needed]
In the Czech Republic, a silencer is considered a prohibited firearms accessory, and as such can only be obtained with an extremely uncommon exception for weapon collectors.[64]
Oceania
In Australia, use and ownership of silencers is generally limited to government, security and law enforcement use only and thus prohibited for civilians.
In New Zealand, suppressors are not regulated and free for purchase by anyone.
European Suppressors Overview
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... -overview/

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/arti ... ing-sports
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

I dont think that silencers/suppressors get implemented as items, if EW would have consider it a nice idea it would have been implemented by now, but i maybe this could give them an idea for a new "advanced weapon" after all we have a rifle with a bypod as "advanced" feature, so maybe next it come a rifle with some kind of silencer, if that is good or bad is beyond me.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Kosanderi
Tracker

Post by Kosanderi »

I still think this is valid opinion:
Kosanderi wrote:With the centerfire cartridges currently in the game I don't see much point adding suppressors to the game as they are supersonic by design except perhaps 45 Long Colt non +P round. So even since there are many pros with using suppressors when hunting none of them truly apply in a game such as theHunter. Also if suppressors were added to the game as accessories it would demand some extra work from the developers - and as I said with basically no value added I don't see how it would be worth the resources.

That being said I do think integrally suppressed rifles with the correct caliber could very well fill this spot. For exmple we could use a rifle chambered in .300 Blackout loaded with 220-240 grain bullets can take out pretty much anything that .223 could do. To make it even better there could be also supersonic ammunition with e.g. 124gr bullet available. Difference between those two would be trajectory and spook radius. Rifle itself would look like a normal .223 bolt action, but with extremely fat barrel. Image
Obviously the rifle looks heavy, but it actually is pretty much the same weight and length as a rifle without a suppressor. These rifles are extremely quiet. Videos do no justice - It has to be heard on the spot.

Also I think there is a misconception about the sound and how it's percieved with and without suppressors and subsonic ammunition. For one - combination of suppressors with supersonic ammunition do work, but only to suppress the sound shooter hears and the sound the firearm creates. As the bullet flies and moves air from it's path it makes a sound. If the bullet is supersonic it creates a supersonic boom due to doppler effect so that at the receiving end the bullet flight is louder than the firearm even without suppressor. With suppressor most of the time only the bullet can be heard and at that time it's pretty much impossible to determine the direction the bullet came from. So animals will still spook, but they might start running to any direction.

So to be realistic about the firearm in game this rifle with subsonic ammunition would have the same spook radius or less than plinkington and with supersonic ammunition same as other rifles forward and same as plinkington behind the shooter. As the power is close to .223 I think same kinda "target group" could be applied.
Spoiler:
thehammer223
Tracker

Post by thehammer223 »

Kosanderi wrote:I still think this is valid opinion:
Kosanderi wrote:With the centerfire cartridges currently in the game I don't see much point adding suppressors to the game as they are supersonic by design except perhaps 45 Long Colt non +P round. So even since there are many pros with using suppressors when hunting none of them truly apply in a game such as theHunter. Also if suppressors were added to the game as accessories it would demand some extra work from the developers - and as I said with basically no value added I don't see how it would be worth the resources.

That being said I do think integrally suppressed rifles with the correct caliber could very well fill this spot. For exmple we could use a rifle chambered in .300 Blackout loaded with 220-240 grain bullets can take out pretty much anything that .223 could do. To make it even better there could be also supersonic ammunition with e.g. 124gr bullet available. Difference between those two would be trajectory and spook radius. Rifle itself would look like a normal .223 bolt action, but with extremely fat barrel. Image
Obviously the rifle looks heavy, but it actually is pretty much the same weight and length as a rifle without a suppressor. These rifles are extremely quiet. Videos do no justice - It has to be heard on the spot.

Also I think there is a misconception about the sound and how it's percieved with and without suppressors and subsonic ammunition. For one - combination of suppressors with supersonic ammunition do work, but only to suppress the sound shooter hears and the sound the firearm creates. As the bullet flies and moves air from it's path it makes a sound. If the bullet is supersonic it creates a supersonic boom due to doppler effect so that at the receiving end the bullet flight is louder than the firearm even without suppressor. With suppressor most of the time only the bullet can be heard and at that time it's pretty much impossible to determine the direction the bullet came from. So animals will still spook, but they might start running to any direction.

So to be realistic about the firearm in game this rifle with subsonic ammunition would have the same spook radius or less than plinkington and with supersonic ammunition same as other rifles forward and same as plinkington behind the shooter. As the power is close to .223 I think same kinda "target group" could be applied.
I do know that the 300 blackout is a powerful rifle and quiet, but that would be just as difficult or more difficult to add to the game. Not only that but then everyone would have to buy the 300 blackout with a new weapon skill level. Then people wouldn't be able to use any other rifles for competitions. The 300 blackout would be a good add to the game maybe, but to add that instead of a silencer instead just wouldn't do it justice.

[When in doubt, use a bigger caliber.]
[My TheHunter Classic name is "Cerebral_Stalker"]
Kosanderi
Tracker

Post by Kosanderi »

thehammer223 wrote:I do know that the 300 blackout is a powerful rifle and quiet, but that would be just as difficult or more difficult to add to the game. Not only that but then everyone would have to buy the 300 blackout with a new weapon skill level. Then people wouldn't be able to use any other rifles for competitions. The 300 blackout would be a good add to the game maybe, but to add that instead of a silencer instead just wouldn't do it justice.
I'm not sure if I understood everything correctly, but I will try to rebuttal some things here:

I must admit that I don't know what the game developers think is easy and what isn't. I'd think that adding a new gun, which they do all the time, would be easier than adding a new slot to the gear menu where to put the suppressor when attached to a firearm. Both are possible, but which is easier?

Difference between 223 rem bolt action and 300 BO bolt action rifle is the barrel. I bet they could use the same skill levels if that is an issue.

Competitions are not a problem. If so decided they are excluded from certain competitions and that's that. It's already done e.g. right now first animal on the list - Alpine Ibex - second comp - Bloated Goat - only .44 handguns allowed -> Others not allowed. This would exclude 300 BO too. Also even if 300 BO would be included that wouldn't meen that people couldn't use other weapons in competitions. Sure some of them would not be as good, but you would still be able to use them. And let's face it - the guns in the game right now aren't equal to each other. And who would use a 300BO in a long range competition anyways?

Anyways I do agree that if 300 BO would be added the only way to do it right would be as suppressed rifle. And I still think preferably integrally suppressed.

And btw. I mentioned 300 BO only as an example. There are other - in some cases even better - subsonic calibers for suppressor use.
Spoiler:

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”