Sabot slugs for shotguns (with assumption of rifled barrels)

Sherab86
Hunter

Sabot slugs for shotguns (with assumption of rifled barrels)

Post by Sherab86 »

IDEA:

I suggest to introduce modern sabot slugs for shotguns into the game, modeled after Remington's Premier Accu-Tip Sabot Slug or similar modern design.

WHY?

Because they are fun? ;) While I bought and use couple of guns in the game, I have to say I do enjoy my 12Ga pump-action shotgun - for many reasons. But one of them - I simply like it. And IRL, modern sabot slugs increase effective range of shotgun's big-game hunting from about 75 yards (more-less same amount of meters; deer size target) to about 120-150 yards, and some premium designs coupled with good rifled barrel can even achieve 200 yards. I don't know what values this would be in game's conditions (becauase of inconsequent and often unreallisticaly low penetration capabilities), but this should be more than Breneka (?) / Foster (?) slugs that we already have.

PROBLEMS:

Mainly in-game consistency.

We should propably assume that all in-game shotguns are equiped with smoothbore barrels (since we shoot shots from them as well as slugs). And without rifling, sabot slugs don't give much if any advantage over Breneka or Foster slugs, as far as I know.

So we would need to make simpliffication for the sake of gameplay, or:

- together with sabot slugs there would be introduced a dedicated slug-gun (but one couldn't use shots with it) - option 1;
- there would be added an option in equipment screen (before living a lodge) to select barrel(s) for our equiped shotgun - option 2;
- Other ideas?
gas56
Outfitter

Re: Sabot slugs for shotguns (with assumption of rifled barrels)

Post by gas56 »

This subject came up a few years ago with shotguns that shoot Sabots,.. mainly for better accuracy at longer distances using a scope.
I had a couple left over photos from the old forum still on my storage HD,.. I think it would be great to have these in the game,....
so here's a few ideas maybe to get this idea rolling again....... :D
As far as smoothbore barrels a sabot slug would not have any spin on it when fired out of it and a rifled slug would be better to use as it would give it a spin...... :D
Now put that sabot in a rifled barrel and you got yourself a dynamo of gun,... even though testing different brands of sabots may give better accuracy for the make of each rifled shotgun.
But in the game there is no need to worry about that as the barrel could be square and the trajectory of the slug can be made to do whatever it is programmed to make speed, drop, wind-drift,
loads, & impact strengths without real world ballistics.
We call these Deer Slug Guns.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”