"ethical" weapons vs prey

BearJohnson
Hunter

"ethical" weapons vs prey

Post by BearJohnson »

Hey guys/gals!

I am new to the game - playing as a guest atm... and new to the forum (gimme time - on BOTH counts).

I understand that this topic has been chewed on by more than a few members/devs over the years but I just wanted to add my two cents.

IF I am showing my lack of knowledge of the game mechanics I apologize for this post.

so... here it goes:

I am an avid Varmint hunter (IRL).
I have only been playing this game for about a week.
I love it.
A GREAT BIG thank you to the devs!

But.

I have already received quite a few "emails" from the Doc about non "ethical" kills.
I dunno if these "violations" effect the game overall - but that is another post.
I am NOT trying to get into the politics of hunting.
I can tell you for fact that (as a varmint hunter) a 7mm can drop a Jack Rabbit!
and truth be told... I have vaporized a few...

I can also testify that a .22 rifle can easily drop a Whitetail. (again - NOT trying to get political)
NOR am I admitting guilt to breaking any local, state, or federal laws! LOL

You will be hard put to find videos online of "hog hunts" that do not include at least one AR style .223 in the arsenal.

Historically, in traditional hunting, Kentucky (or Pennsylvania) Long Rifles were used to hunt squirrels by "barking" the tree. Shooting the tree NEXT to the prey in order to kill them.
"Ethical" I dunno... but it fed the families of the hunter.

I understand the shooting of targets will not up your weapon proficiency due to this being a "hunting game" not a "firearms game".
I think that firearm proficiency (skill lvl) should go up, no matter the prey targeted.

"Trophies" taken in game should NOT be ill effected due to weapon used to harvest them. (as per mounting for your lodge etc...)
NOTE: I don't have a lodge yet, but I will!

I also think that if a player drops a Bison with a .22 brain shot - it should be recorded.

random thoughts of a new player.

Thanks for reading!
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

Koakon

Re: "ethical" weapons vs prey

Post by Koakon »

It does record and keep your record actually, off in your hunting log. Non ethical kills don't give any trophy scoring though since the idea isn't really what's capable of killing the animal but what's "Sporting" for use against it. Nothing too light that a novice plinking off will leave an animal suffering and nothing that's gonna leave it looking more like a wet rag.

I used to hunt cottontail with a .45-70 after I lost my .223, but that really barely let me keep anything to even eat, can't imagine trying to mount any of those things after shooting them.
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

BearJohnson wrote:I also think that if a player drops a Bison with a .22 brain shot - it should be recorded.
Here I agree too. 'Zero time' kills with underpowered weapon should be recorded.

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)
Exploatores

Post by Exploatores »

I think it´s you should not get the same message if you accidently shoot a snowrabbit with a 45-70 as if you try to shoot a a bison with at .17. after all in the first case you will blow a hugh hole in the animal, in the second the animal will only get angry.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”