A new Goose,.. and a new Gun?

Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: A new Goose,.. and a new Gun?

Post by Tod1d »

In Michigan, semi-auto rifle > .22, and semi-auto shotgun are limited to 6 shells.
Shotguns when hunting migratory birds are limited to 3 shells, and must be plugged.
Bunnies, upland birds, squirrels, etc... Blast away!
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

In the States, the 3 round rule for shotguns stems from Federal Law pertaining to hunting migratory birds (mainly waterfowl). Some states may have extended that to hunting other birds or animals, but many do not. So as Tod said, when hunting pheasants, rabbits, deer, etc., there usually isn't a 3 round limit, just waterfowl.

And the limit isn't a limit on semi-auto shotguns, it's a limit on ALL shotguns, so it includes pump-action. Most shotguns are sold with a plug that can be inserted or removed that limit what the magazine can hold. Put the plug in when hunting ducks or geese, take it out when hunting anything else (depending on State).
Personal Bests...
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Being a Game, and game rules...............
I still opt for the 5 shells on Geese, as the reason being it makes no sense for game rules to have only 3 shells for Waterfowl Hunting for a semi-auto since the other lever 10, and pump 12 hold 5 shells, unless they just don't want you to shoot Waterfowl as fast with a Semi-auto, or they read some federal laws about Migratory Waterfowl and shell limits..... and got it from that.
I say make them 5 shot auto's for the game and let's blast some Geese. Gas' law works better........... :lol:
But that 'pry won't happen and EW's laws will prevail for only 3 shells........... :roll:
Last edited by gas56 on April 25th, 2018, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

I'd like to see a semi-auto also (other than the 20 ga). But, since the 10ga. lever was only just recently released I wouldn't expect it to be the one they would opt for. That would eliminate any more sales of a newer gun. The 12ga however, is a gun that most of us already own multiple versions of, but this being a new design and a design requested many times, it would sell without diminishing the sales of the newer model 10ga. Maybe much later, as more people have already bought the 10ga lever action, they will expand on it.
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

Here is Illinois, where our hunting regulations are all messed up, we can only have more than 3 shells in a shotgun during special goose hunting seasons. Any time I have ever been approached by a game warden they ask for ID, hunting license, and to check for the plug in your gun.
***edit*** I have tried numerous times to include a photo I took from our hunting rules handbook, but each time I add it, it shows up HUGE in the forums. I did resize it and I went well below the limit & it didn't change things at all.
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Violator31 wrote:I'd like to see a semi-auto also (other than the 20 ga). But, since the 10ga. lever was only just recently released I wouldn't expect it to be the one they would opt for. That would eliminate any more sales of a newer gun. The 12ga however, is a gun that most of us already own multiple versions of, but this being a new design and a design requested many times, it would sell without diminishing the sales of the newer model 10ga. Maybe much later, as more people have already bought the 10ga lever action, they will expand on it.
I wouldn't see much of a problem if specialty shotguns were made as using specific hunting allowed lists on them,...
The gun I mentioned is a Goose Gun mainly used for Geese & Turkeys only. If the game adheres to that than not many problems would arise.
It has the power to take out those less than desirable at the edge of normal 12 ga range conditions, and so it couldn't be
an all for everything type of gun if used only for geese.
A lot of guns have been put out recently, but I only picked up a couple that I wanted, but I can't speak for everyone in what they like to buy.
And it seems that gun production is limitless,.. so to speak.
pssst,... (hopefully they get this jacked up about fixing the bugs soon).. ;)

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”