Another handgun for foxes etc.

SoftShoe
Outfitter

Re: Another handgun for foxes etc.

Post by SoftShoe »

The FN Five-Seven would be a good choice! I bought one when they 1st came out. I payed a fortune to be one of the "lucky few" to get my hands on it 1st. I wanted a handgun in the same cal as my P90 & thought it would be perfect. It was a fun pistol & surprisingly accurate. I shot a couple yotes with it, didnt drop them but they didnt run far. Finally sold it off after the honeymoon was over. I heard they were a PIA to reload & was super expensive to shoot.

Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

I think the 9mm round in a semi-auto handgun would fit in nice, much as the 10mm semi-auto fits in compared to the .44 revolvers, compared to the .357 Magnum Revolver. Not as powerful but that compensates by being a semi and more rounds in the mag. Should, like the 10mm, be fitted with a red dot sight only. Same permitted list as the .357 Magnum Revolver.

Glock 19 9mm (as example)
ballester_molina
Spotter

Post by ballester_molina »

How about smoothbore revolvers in .410 cal? Birdshot, buckshot, slug.

http://prntscr.com/j6adqo
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

IMO a Glock would be a terrible choice! They do not have the inherit accuracy to be effective (assuming EW) models that. Add to that the mediocre ballistics of a 9mm coming out of the 4" barrel of a G19 or even 4.5 of a G17 and you have a recipe for disaster. It wouldn't be good for much more then rabbits, fox & coyote at 25m or less.

I would think a true hunting handgun in a mid range varmint caliber would be far more interesting. The caliber would need to be good for rabbits, fox, bobcat & all birds. I would say a 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 221 Fireball etc would be ideal.
Here are some true hunting handguns that I think would be cool to have in game. All of these are available in the aforementioned calibers.

Remington XP-100

Freedom Arms Single Shot

Wichita Arms Single Shot

Savage Striker

Magnum Research Lone Eagle

Generalkommendant
Hunter

:arrow: SoftShoe

Those are some fine guns SoftShoe. I bet you have a lot (A LOT) more experience to the matter than me.
However in this game they (usually they did at least) consider the balance between other weapons already in store. In this case we have to focus solely on the .357 revolver and find a good balanced match.

Another revolver, which some suggests, would be kind of boring and not sell too well I think. I could be wrong since I haven't got the figures but my impression are that the 10mm sold quite good. It's a fun complement to what's already in store and everyone using it thinks it's fun. Generally speaking. Furthermore they could squeeze some more Em$ from us with the red dot sight. That same red dot sight should go along with the proposed "new handgun for foxes etc".

That's why I think the new handgun should be a lot like the 10mm semi-auto. Obviously it has to be weaker. And we're not always talking about reality here. ;) I would love if it were permitted "for all birds" but I can't see it in a game balance perspective. Then it would have to be permitted for rabbits as well. And who would need the .22 Grasshopper then?

The .357 Magnum Revolver is permitted for the following spieces:
Spoiler:
Alpine Ibex
Arctic Fox
Bighorn Sheep
Blacktail Deer
Bobcat
Canada Goose
Coyote
Dall Sheep
Feral Goat
Grey Wolf
Mule Deer
Red Fox
Red Kangaroo
Roe Deer
Rusa Deer
Sitka Deer
Turkey
Whitetail Deer
By making a semi-auto being able to take down all of these species, and still not outperform the .357, would require some consideration. Also it mustn't outperform the 10mm.

On the plus side there is:

Rate of fire
Round capacity
Red dot sight

On the negative side there is:

Less powerful
Less range
No power scope

Maybe it would require some tweaking in the species list too. All the bigger ones in the list maybe shouldn't be permitted (Whitetail, Mule Deer etc). I don't know.

The round you suggested a few posts earlier seems very nice. The 5.7×28mm ammunition. Can it meet the above mentioned criterias?
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I didnt think this convo was centered on finding a replacement for the 357 but rather a handgun alternative to the 17 HMR?

In my mind the jump to medium sized game is a significant one. There really arent any calibers that are ethical for deer that would also be good to use on rabbit so in effect we are narrowing the scope of what guns would be practicable.

Hell if we just want a replacement for the 357 revolver that would be a good seller for EW then there would be no finer choice then the Desert Eagle in 357Mag

While I have never owned a Desert Eagle I have shot several & they are accurate for deer out to 100m & fox out to 50m. Its in an established caliber so that will cut development costs. Its easy enough to mount a scope to & I would bet people would be lineing up to buy one.

Want something a little differant? AMT Automag in 30 Carbine. Should have same eithical list as 357mag & gives an iteresting twist.

Finally there is the Original AMT Automag of DeathWish fame. Its a wildcat cartridge called the 44 AMP, basically a shortened 308 case necked to 44. Power falls between 357 & 44mags.

Personally I would buy any/all of them for use in Classic!

SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Generalkommendant wrote:
The round you suggested a few posts earlier seems very nice. The 5.7×28mm ammunition. Can it meet the above mentioned criterias?
The 5.7x28 is a high velocity but low powered round. It was designed as a military round in the P90 & is marginal at best at that role only achieving it only through high rates of fire (multiple hits). It would be fine on Fox & smaller but wouldn't want to use it on medium sized game.

Generalkommendant
Hunter

SoftShoe wrote:Want something a little differant? AMT Automag in 30 Carbine. Should have same eithical list as 357mag & gives an iteresting twist.
Of course the Desert Eagle in .357 would be a best-seller. No doubt! :D
But it would indeed outperform the current revolver, don't you think?
That one sure looks interesting, the AMT Automag in cal .30 Carbine. It looks like a contender imo. Looking at some clips of it on Youtube for the moment and I'm not disappointed so far! ;)
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Well yeah, the Desert Eagle would outperform the revolver hands down especially if they model the ballistics correctly. It has a longer barrel & no barrel/cylinder gap so velocities are significantly higher but I dont think this would be a competition per se. I mean look at the newest rifle release. All you need now is it & a shotgun & you pretty well have all species covered. The Desert Eagle would just be an option for folks.

The Automag would definitely be fun! I had considered buying one years ago but was concerned about its longevity. I had bought a AMT Hardballer Longslide 30 something years ago. It was a great gun but after about 1000 rds the frame started to loosen up which adversely affected accuracy. Turned out the steel of the frame was to soft & it was galling the rails. I stopped shooting it & it became a safe queen rarely seeing the light of day other then to show it to various guests. I actually just sold it off to a collector of AMT guns last year.
Obviously all of that means exactly nothing in a computer simulation.

I wish someone would make something similar again. I was a great shooting pistol, excellant for offhand shooting. All that weight up front allowed it to hang quite nicely.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”