Flintlock: Lets build my rifle!

SoftShoe
Outfitter

Flintlock: Lets build my rifle!

Post by SoftShoe »

I have a suggestion for a new gun for the game that would offer a very different hunting experience. A 45cal Flintlock rifle.

I am an avid traditional muzzleloading hunter with a penchant for flintlocks. I also have a number of rifles from 32 to 58cal so can provide any possible relevant info/sounds/images you may need.

Standard rifle: "Po-boy"

Premium: "Pennsylvania Rifle"

Caliber: 45
Ammunition: .440 patched round ball
Maximum permited load: 70 grs of 3FG Black Powder
Barrel Lenght: 42"
Muzzle velocity.: 2012fps
Sights: Buckhorn (no optics)
Permited species list: Same as 243 but including the various rabbit species
Maximum effective range up to 100 meters.

Notes:
You could use very nearly the same reload animations as are currently on the 50cal caplock except the frizzen is primed as part of the initial loading process & remains primed only requiring pulling the hammer all the way back when ready to fire. Traditionalists will scoff at the thought of using a quickload tube with such a rifle but it is possible.

Mitigating factors:
Such a rifle would be a brand new experience for hunters. The slight hesitation from pulling the trigger to the gun firing I believe could be modeled easily enough & be enough to provide a challenge but not so much to be an irritant. There is typically a 1/8sec delay from the time the trigger is pulled till the gun fires. Enough that on shots under 50m it means little but on 100+m could cause a miss or bad hit (as in real life).
The gun would not provide any new bonuses to the game. It is just a new way to experience theHunter. I don't know what the spook radius is on the rifles in game but this should be lower. Its more of a boom then a crack & doesnt seem to disturb animals as much. Similarly the terminal ballistics of a round ball are not completely understood but they seem to have more "killing power" for lack of a better word then their caliber & velocity would suggest. a 45 cal round ball will take down a whitetail deer much more handily then a 243 at close range.

In point of fact I am currently building the Pennsylvania rifle pictured. The barrel & lock are inletted & I am doing the final shaping for the stock now. I would be happy to provide build progress pics if interested.

Griph
Spotter

Re: Flintlock: Lets build my rifle!

Post by Griph »

I like this idea!

I’m looking hard at ordering a Kibler flintlock kit at the moment.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”