.300 and Buffalo

vsaet
Hunter

.300 and Buffalo

Post by vsaet »

I can't understand the reason that the .300 is permitted for all big animals ,meaning Bison,Polar bear,brown near,Moose etc BUT not for Buffalo.
Is the most penetrating gun and is excluded. :(
Think the team that Buffalo is heaviest or stronger from a Bison or Polar bear :?:
I think is not just for that gun :?
WolfLQ
Tracker

Re: .300 and Buffalo

Post by WolfLQ »

I felt the same way, but I looked into buffalo hunting in Australia and noted that the .300 is generally prohibited. Maybe because the vegetation is so thick that the odds of you getting a perfect shot are much lower than they are on the plains? I'm admittedly not sure why. I'm into archery, I know nothing about this stuff. But if they're going by legality it makes sense.
(Not a newbie! Back after a few years hiatus.)
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

From a Bison - no, don't think so. However might be more agressive than Bison - not sure about this. It might be more tough than Polar Bear I suppose, but since this Bear species have quite much of fat, I'm not sure of this either. ;)

Aside from commercial reasons, I think that possible, somewhat reasonable cause might be to small caliber in the judgment of dev's team. Penetration is one thing. You need also big enough hole. ;) Honestly, personally I would rather prefer if the Bison would be reviewed and put-up to the same standard as Buffalo, when it comes to permitted ammo, than in opposite direction.
supercelldrw
Hunter

Post by supercelldrw »

30r I believe is better penetration
Spoiler:
Urgia
Scout

Post by Urgia »

1.2 ton buffallo instantly drops from a double lung arrow hit, but the .300 is too weak? Interesting game design...
vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

supercelldrw wrote:30r I believe is better penetration
Yes! ...but R30 are also not permitted for Buffalo and I can't understand why :?:
Who decide what weapon for an animal and based on what :?:
If a handgun 454 can used for Buffalo why not the r30 or the .300 :?: :?: :?:
Urgia
Scout

Post by Urgia »

vsaet wrote:
supercelldrw wrote:30r I believe is better penetration
Yes! ...but R30 are also not permitted for Buffalo and I can't understand why :?:
Who decide what weapon for an animal and based on what :?:
If a handgun 454 can used for Buffalo why not the r30 or the .300 :?: :?: :?:
Because that way more people will decide to buy the new high caliber gun.
Probably the .45-70 Government rifle didn't sell too well since you could get bison with .300, 9.3x62, 7mm and even 8x57 IS.
If that's the case then they wouldn't make the same mistake again (from a marketing standpoint).
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Water buffalo are a bit larger than Bison. They also have very thick hides which are often caked in dried and hardened mud. A .300 would be way on the light side for water buffalo from what I've read and seen.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Chuck Hawkes is an outdoor writer which I've followed since his early days and has used and tested and hunted with a lot of weapons for a long time now.
He is very knowledgeable about what and why he suggests the best weapon(s) and bullets used for hunting all sorts of animals.
This is knowledge that I even listen to as it makes very good sense and has never steered me wrong IRL hunting.
Plus it's also a good short read.......... :D
https://www.chuckhawks.com/exotics_wate ... ridges.htm
vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

gas56 wrote:Chuck Hawkes is an outdoor writer which I've followed since his early days and has used and tested and hunted with a lot of weapons for a long time now.
He is very knowledgeable about what and why he suggests the best weapon(s) and bullets used for hunting all sorts of animals.
This is knowledge that I even listen to as it makes very good sense and has never steered me wrong IRL hunting.
Plus it's also a good short read.......... :D
https://www.chuckhawks.com/exotics_wate ... ridges.htm
I have to give you 5 stars ;) for the good link provided :!:
I read most of the articles there and comes to the conclusion that the most efficient gun for Buffalo is the 45-70 (that I have) but only for medium to close range. Certainly the R30 is a rapid and powerful gun but not for Buffalo and the .300 also is not. I purchased yesterday the 9.3x74R that is reported from many of the articles about rifles as one of the most for Buffalo in long range shots even if is also reported that the double chambers rifles are not very accepted today as a first choice and suggested for dangerous game the repetitive rifles like the 45-70.
Thanks for the very good link.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”