New Rifle for New Animal

Knut
Outfitter

Re: New Rifle for New Animal

Post by Knut »

The 7x57 still has with approx. 2500 thingsbythings still 5x the muzzle energy of that .308 air rifle
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Of course. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to stand in the way of an elephant armed with a 7x57. (Me, not the elephant)
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

Evolution it's all the thing, in the past Buffalo's/Bison and bears where hunted ONLY with Spears and Bows, not a good Idea? maybe but that's the challenge, same as Argentinian hunting Hogs with Dogos and only Knifes that takes a great pair of ....
The use of Rifles with Powder it's only a evolution and faster way to drop down a trophy/prey, same thing on Spain hunting hogs with Air Rifles and now in USA, how Native on Australia hunt Bison?? rifles? don't think so, the same thing on some parts in Native tribes in Africa hunting Lions, Buffalo, etc with ONLY SPEARS, South America (Brasil) same thing.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Knut wrote:The 7x57 still has with approx. 2500 thingsbythings still 5x the muzzle energy of that .308 air rifle
Knut, those "thingsbythings" are a unit of energy/force used by the free Terrans of Earth. The "other" units you're familiar with were introduced by the Formics (Buggers) in an attempt to assimilate us into their hive mind.
Personal Bests...
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

mapache01 wrote:Evolution it's all the thing, in the past Buffalo's/Bison and bears where hunted ONLY with Spears and Bows, not a good Idea?
If you didn't mind the occasional, life threatening injury every now and then, it still probably is a brilliant idea.
Fletchette wrote:
Knut wrote:The 7x57 still has with approx. 2500 thingsbythings still 5x the muzzle energy of that .308 air rifle
Knut, those "thingsbythings" are a unit of energy/force used by the free Terrans of Earth. The "other" units you're familiar with were introduced by the Formics (Buggers) in an attempt to assimilate us into their hive mind.
You mean by a superior, spare-faring race that can not only travel the galaxy but use instant communication over galactic distances? Well, I guess they'll have their reason for using that unit then :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Knut wrote:
mapache01 wrote:Evolution it's all the thing, in the past Buffalo's/Bison and bears where hunted ONLY with Spears and Bows, not a good Idea?
If you didn't mind the occasional, life threatening injury every now and then, it still probably is a brilliant idea.
Fletchette wrote:
You mean by a superior, spare-faring race that can not only travel the galaxy but use instant communication over galactic distances? Well, I guess they'll have their reason for using that unit then :lol: :lol: :lol:
You skipped the part where they were wiped out by a 5 foot tall, 100 pound, 10 year old American kid with a 98.6 degree Fahrenheit body temperature, drinking a 16 ounce bottle of Coke .... :P
Personal Bests...
Beano8U
Scout

Post by Beano8U »

Sherab86 wrote:Why people are so fascinated with energy alone? ;)

Ok, it is important, and coupled with projectile design (material, shape, sectional density etc.) translates to penetration. But even if projectile pierce through an animal to other side of a body, but won't cause large enough wound, all that energy may become wasted. :P

Don't take me wrong - personaly I would propably also preffere a cartdridge with would allow me to stay farrer away, even if it would be of slightly smaller caliber, hence causing slightly smaller wounds. But I simply don't know why people tend to concentrate on energy that much, omitting projectile design and dimensions at the same time.

I agree that a "straight through" shot is inadequate. I remember my old man using .22 hollow point rounds when I was a kid. These expanded and did not exit so I would assume that the expansion of the round would do more damage than a normal round of the same caliber. (Not sure on the legal or availability side of hollow points these days though.)

This is an Australian map. Everything wants to harm you in Aus... EVERYTHING. It's kill, or be killed (even a kangaroo can kill a person) and I would want to be prepared for something as big as the Water Buffalo, haha.
I am sure if you spooked a Water Buffalo, they would come for you to try to ward the herd.
But I agree, the .340 should be included at the start, even if it isn't ethical (Polar Bear hunting isn't, it's a game after all).
Maybe the introduction of a larger caliber rifle at a later date would make sense, but probably won't be released straight away as per EW tradition of introducing a new one not long after a new reserve.
Fair enough that the .340 is not powerful enough for a single (poorly placed?) shot, maybe EW could code the buffalo to be tough and require a few shots to take them down?
Not sure if ammunition variants are available for the .340 or .45-70? May be another option?
Can't wait for the release of the new map and see what "extras" are on the horizon :D
I have a suspicion that the is more to the new reserve that they haven't told us.

Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Fletchette wrote:
Knut wrote:
Fletchette wrote: Knut, those "thingsbythings" are a unit of energy/force used by the free Terrans of Earth. The "other" units you're familiar with were introduced by the Formics (Buggers) in an attempt to assimilate us into their hive mind.
You skipped the part where they were wiped out by a 5 foot tall, 100 pound, 10 year old American kid with a 98.6 degree Fahrenheit body temperature, drinking a 16 ounce bottle of Coke .... :P
:D

you mean this?

Countries that use ft-lbs instead of J for ballistic data

Countries where Hollywood world saving heroes originate from

Coincidence?

Further proof:

Countries using Fahrenheit to measure ambient temperature

Amazingly comprehensive map of all countries using the MMDDYYYY fate format

Countries that opted out of the Paris climate agreement
Beano8U
Scout

Post by Beano8U »

Oh, yeah. I'm not familiar with the stone age. Beyond my time lol.
I hear they are slowly converting to the metric system though.
Good on them.

pirahna590
Hunter

Post by pirahna590 »

Looks like they were developing a new rifle, but Im going to have to say this isnt the new rifle intended for the water buffalo. Looking up the ballistics for the 7x57 Mauser, its nothing more then deer sized game, not bison and buffalo, but I do like the stock on this 7x57O/U in comparison to the .30O/U :)

In regards to air rifles, I think its cool that they have big bore air rifles, I wasnt aware that they had air rifles with calibers bigger then .25 ... be cool to own one if it wasnt so expensive, but would be for recreational shooting for me, cant say Id go out bear or buffalo with air power, regardless of caliber. Unless they were capable of producing the velocities typically associated with firearms using gunpowder, for me, they would be nothing more then can destroyers :)

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”