New Rifle for New Animal

pirahna590
Hunter

New Rifle for New Animal

Post by pirahna590 »

Ok, so EW officially stated " In this reserve you can expect to see some swamps with the mighty grumpy Water Buffalo splashing in the shallow waters, dense forest areas with Rusa Deer and Banteng, open beach for an occasional skittish Sambar Deer and, to mix up this antler and horn feast, we’ve also added some Feral Hogs for you ".

I cant wait to check out this new map, with what appears to be 3 new animals ( Water Buffalo, Banteng and Rusa Deer ), but as I've been doing some research on water buffalo hunting in Australia the last week or so ( had a strong suspicion it was water buffalo lol ), and I cant help but wonder if we have anything ingame firearm wise that can stand up to the challenge of water buffalo hunting?

With the research Ive been doing, most countries that allow water buffalo hunting have a minimum caliber requirement of .375H&H, with most hunters preferring .416 and up! I just dont know if the .340 should be considered a viable option as our only option to the only caliber of .45-70 that we have in game that would meet the minimum requirements of these countries that allow water buffalo hunting. Im sure that EW will allow the .340, as there ARE reports of water buffalo being taken down by .338 caliber firearms, but again, this is not the norm and very few places allow hunting of this very large dangerous game animal with anything less then .375H&H.

Go to youtube, search for water buffalo hunting in Australia ... MOST hunters are using .416 and .450 and even then they are having to put 3-4 even 5 shots into these animals at rather close ranges ... under 200m ... before they go down and stay down. Thats the key phrase here, staying down ... I watched a video where a bull took the first .450 Nirto Express round at less then 100m, and just looked around like what just stung me, 2nd hit an it took off running!!!!3rd hit an he fell, only to get back up again an stand there looking around ... the 4th round put him down for good ... all shots were under 150m from a .450 Nirto Express /// I just dont think our beloved .340 is up to the task, what do you guys think?
BCKidd

Re: New Rifle for New Animal

Post by BCKidd »

Yeah, I think EW is gonna havta throw another large caliber rifle into the mix. The .375 H&H would be my guess. :D Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
wiizzi
Scout

Post by wiizzi »

any ideas about bows and crossbows for large animals?

Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

I agree on new cartridge. But this may happen in other time. After all, we have 45-70 for the start. ;) I don't have any knowledge about hunting those beasts with crossbows or bows. :P
pirahna590
Hunter

Post by pirahna590 »

Bow hunting of water buffalo, strangely enough, is legal in austrailia ... so I cant imagine they would introduce a new bow just for the water buffalo ... perhaps a different arrow for dangerous large game such as this? I also cant for see EW releasing a new firearm with the new map either ... its a lot of work to develop a new map and a new animal, and EW is releasing THREE new animals :D ... Im just curious if EW is considering a new bog bore rifle, and if thats the case I guess the next question is what would we like to see. I think we have a decent selection of bolt action rifles in game, plenty of room for more, but for diversity Id like to see a double barrel big bore rifle in something .416 and bigger, maybe a .450NE .... two versions of whch ever they do, a standard version and deluxe version ;)
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

wiizzi wrote:any ideas about bows and crossbows for large animals?

This is the crossbow for the buffalo :D

Villkatta
Outfitter

Post by Villkatta »

Crossbow works wonders for bison ingame - if you fire at them as they charge you ;)

kevin2106
Hunter

Post by kevin2106 »

pirahna590 wrote: THREE new animals :D
Four ;) You missed the Sambar :D

ArwenerI
Spotter

Post by ArwenerI »

Based on bison which is way bigger than water buffalo , 340 and 45-70 will do the job. Ofc there will be a new rifle for big game but only for sales-money reason.As for ethical reason, it not working on the hunter. Its all about sales.
pirahna590
Hunter

Post by pirahna590 »

ArwenerI wrote:Based on bison which is way bigger than water buffalo , 340 and 45-70 will do the job. Ofc there will be a new rifle for big game but only for sales-money reason.As for ethical reason, it not working on the hunter. Its all about sales.
I wouldnt go an say they are way bigger, comparatively bigger maybe as bison can weigh up to 1400lbs where as a water buffalo can weigh in excess of 1200lbs ... but its not so much the sheer size or weight, but their temperament that makes them more dangerous of a game animal then the bison and as such, require a larger more powerful firearm then what we currently have. Dont get me wrong, bison are no creme puffs either, but the water buffalo is notoriously more aggressive an there for would require a larger caliber for the hunters safety. If given the choice IRL to either use a .340 or say a .416 or even .450 ... going for water buffalo ... I think MOST rational hunters would pick up the .416 or .450 before they picked up the .340.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”