Hunting Spear

TheSheWolf
Hunter

Re: Hunting Spear

Post by TheSheWolf »

I thought it was a really interesting concept until checking out the linked videos. "Why spear?" Well, why bow?! It could be fun! Traditional! Then I clicked the links...

That whitetail hunting vid is a travesty. Jesus. His spear's fired out of a barrel? The first shot hit nowhere NEAR the doe on the ground. That to me is horrific; imagine just hurling until you hit something?! A leg, a gut? And a hole that size is gonna be painful. Putting an animal in that much pain with a potentially non-fatal or slow-killing wound is just wrong. And "monster buck" my butt.

At least the guy in the last vid has the decency to be hurling manually at a water buffalo, though I gotta say it looks ill-advised as well...

If spear-hunting is as innaccurate as these hunters, I would never support its addition. Sheesh.
Urgia
Scout

Post by Urgia »

TheSheWolf wrote:I thought it was a really interesting concept until checking out the linked videos. "Why spear?" Well, why bow?! It could be fun! Traditional! Then I clicked the links...

That whitetail hunting vid is a travesty. Jesus. His spear's fired out of a barrel? The first shot hit nowhere NEAR the doe on the ground. That to me is horrific; imagine just hurling until you hit something?! A leg, a gut? And a hole that size is gonna be painful. Putting an animal in that much pain with a potentially non-fatal or slow-killing wound is just wrong. And "monster buck" my butt.

At least the guy in the last vid has the decency to be hurling manually at a water buffalo, though I gotta say it looks ill-advised as well...

If spear-hunting is as innaccurate as these hunters, I would never support its addition. Sheesh.
One could say the same about hunting with bows without sights. At the end of the day it all comes down to technique.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Urgia wrote:
TheSheWolf wrote:If spear-hunting is as innaccurate as these hunters, I would never support its addition. Sheesh.
One could say the same about hunting with bows without sights. At the end of the day it all comes down to technique.
Indeed! When I bow hunted, I had no sights on my bow. I would practice for at least a month before hunting season, and I was confident up to 30 yards with a kill zone shot.

I have seen a few videos of people hunting with spears that were very good at it, and the deer or hogs died very quickly.

As for having them in theHunter... I can't see where it would be practical.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

What I've seen of spear hunting has not appealed to me. I'll take my bow with no sights :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Let me preface my comments by saying "I dont support hunting with a spear IRL". Having said that I am against cruelty to animals for cruelty's sake. The notion that killing an animal with a spear is crule (even if a fumbled attempt) is ridiculous IMO. Life IS cruel! None of the animals in the wild is going to go to sleep & gently pass from this world. They are going to be drug down by a predator when they are sick, weak or aged & TORN apart WHILE they bleat in pain & horror. That dear friends is cruel but it also how the world works. Ask yourself which end you would prefer to meet. Bleeding out, maybe fast, maybe slowly or having the living flesh ripped from your limbs & consumed as your screamed out in terror & pain?

*mic drop*

TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

SoftShoe wrote:The notion that killing an animal with a spear is crule (even if a fumbled attempt) is ridiculous IMO. Life IS cruel! None of the animals in the wild is going to go to sleep & gently pass from this world. They are going to be drug down by a predator when they are sick, weak or aged & TORN apart WHILE they bleat in pain & horror.
Just because one death is more painful than the other does not at all mean we should not try to minimize suffering on all fronts. Our benchmark should most certainly not be, "if it's better than coyotes eating your intestines while you're still alive, then it's ethical." That would be ridiculous.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

While I agree that life is cruel and I am no PETA supporter by any means. I have to agree with SheWolf, we have a duty to harvest animals in an ethical manner as hunters or we are no better than wild animals ourselves.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

TheSheWolf wrote:Just because one death is more painful than the other does not at all mean we should not try to minimize suffering on all fronts.
That sort of Utopian mentality is admirable but lets break it down to day to day flesh & blood reality. How is that accomplished & more importantly who becomes the arbiter of what is & isnt ethical?
XxStrong1xX wrote:While I agree that life is cruel and I am no PETA supporter by any means. I have to agree with SheWolf, we have a duty to harvest animals in an ethical manner as hunters or we are no better than wild animals ourselves.
And thats the rub isnt it? Who are we to say that hunting with a spear isnt ethical? We witnessed a video of one guy that probably shouldnt be hunting with a spear. I have no doubt there are many more that are very effective & lethal with it. That same guy armed with a bow might not be any better. Lord knows I have met some chuckle heads in the woods that had no business hunting at all. So the question becomes, should we as a people in our high mindedness decree that no one shall be allowed to hunt to prevent the chuckle heads from wounding deer or acknowledge that life is cruel & one death versus another is just a matter of degree.

Anecdotally & FWIW many if not most humans ARE worse than wild animals. Physically, socially, spiritually & psychologically.

XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

SoftShoe wrote:Anecdotally & FWIW many if not most humans ARE worse than wild animals. Physically, socially, spiritually & psychologically.
Can't argue with that. :D I have no problem with spear hunting if it is legal. But I feel like anyone who hunts using any method should develop the skills to do so effectively or they should just stay home. :)

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

SoftShoe wrote: And thats the rub isnt it? Who are we to say that hunting with a spear isnt ethical? We witnessed a video of one guy that probably shouldnt be hunting with a spear. I have no doubt there are many more that are very effective & lethal with it. That same guy armed with a bow might not be any better. Lord knows I have met some chuckle heads in the woods that had no business hunting at all. So the question becomes, should we as a people in our high mindedness decree that no one shall be allowed to hunt to prevent the chuckle heads from wounding deer or acknowledge that life is cruel & one death versus another is just a matter of degree.
That is indeed the big question and probably the one (who decides? What's the limit?) that drives all sorts of moral questions. Who decides whether gay marriage is immoral or okay? Who decides the age of consent? Who decides what drugs should be legal, and which are too dangerous? There's no right answer; the answer will always continue to evolve culturally and with time. In some countries it's common practice to skin animals alive for their fur. In some countries, American farm systems are considered horrific. Those are just general animal welfare examples--I am by no means an animal rights extremist. We have to give our opinions and come to some kind of consensus. Which means not shutting down others' opinions, of course. But in the end, common sense (for the time period & culture) usually wins out.

And common sense leads me to the same conclusion that you did. It says that this guy who obviously can't throw, shouldn't be out there with a spear. As to whether spear-hunting in general is cruel or not, I'd suppose it depends on a few physical factors--sharpness chief among them. A super sharp blade, you can hardly feel it. I think many people have seen videos (or real incidents) where a bow-shot deer with a very sharp arrowhead has no idea it's even been hit. To remind, I did point out that it would not be okay if the hunter is that innaccurate. If others can be accurate & lethal it's probably just as quick as a bow or gun, I'd imagine.

But aim... I mean damn, at least be able to hit the broad side of a frigging barn before you go chucking things at a living animal. Hobbling off with broken bones and bound-to-be-infected-muscle with no actual fatal wound is a horrible way to go.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”