Hunting Spear

gas56
Outfitter

Re: Hunting Spear

Post by gas56 »

Hmmmmmm.... remember,... this is just a game.
But how many times in the game have you shot an animal with a rifle and it ran off and you had to track it and take a 2nd shot on it to kill it?
Never happens right????????
Give yourself a pat on the back then,.. because I have had no such luck in this game to kill every animal on the 1st shot.
So what pain are we talking about that animals feel hurt in this game?
Pixels don't feel pain,.. and that is why there are all types of players in the game and it is just for fun and most players would never have the opportunity IRL
to hunt the different types of animals. IRl some players here would not kill or hunt animals at all.

My 11 year old Grandson was watching a Deer hunting video with me the other day and when the hunter using a bow on the video shot a Whitetail buck...
My Grandson told me that he didn't want to go hunting with me because it was cruel to shoot & kill animals........
I asked him where he thought the hamburgers, beef, pork chops, bacon, and chicken wings that he eats came from and that somebody has to kill it,
it's just that a lot of people since they don't see animals being killed they have it in the back of their minds that if they don't see it happen then
that's ok and they will still eat the meat anyways.
He sit there for awhile and then finally replied back to me and he said while I still think that is cruel to kill animals!"
I told him "well I guess you don't have to eat meat from now on then".
Then he replied back saying "well I won't eat meat no more, not least until I get hungry enough".
I just shook my head side to side while thinking to myself he just really didn't say that did he?
Sometimes you just don't want to know the answers to you questions................................. :lol:
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

At least he stuck to his guns :D

edit - no pun intended lol
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

At one point I would have been completely against the thought of hunting with a spear, adamant that it was not an ethical form of hunting and that it would most likely lead to unnecessary animal suffering. I'm now of the opinion that in the wrong hands, any weapon can lead to unnecessary animal suffering. In the right hands, a spear can be an extremely effective tool, and a fast and humane way to dispatch an animal. I watched a video the other night, where a hunter used a spear to take down in a brown bear. The spear went clean through the chest and the animal was dead in about 12 or 13 seconds. You can't get much more humane or ethical than that. A good example of a tool in the right hands.

Humans suck, and sadly common sense is no longer common. It's pretty rare. At least in my experience. For that reason, you can be sure that no matter what the weapon is, there will always be some muppet out there that uses is incorrectly and causes undue pain and suffering. At the same time bringing a bad name to hunting and/or to that method of hunting. A lot of it comes down to lack of respect for the animal being hunted. If you don't respect the animal then I don't think you can really be trusted to behave in a responsible and ethical manner when hunting it. In which case, you shouldn't even be hunting. Period.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

caledonianblues wrote:Humans suck, and sadly common sense is no longer common. It's pretty rare. At least in my experience. For that reason, you can be sure that no matter what the weapon is, there will always be some muppet out there that uses is incorrectly and causes undue pain and suffering. At the same time bringing a bad name to hunting and/or to that method of hunting. A lot of it comes down to lack of respect for the animal being hunted. If you don't respect the animal then I don't think you can really be trusted to behave in a responsible and ethical manner when hunting it. In which case, you shouldn't even be hunting. Period.
Very well said David! I agree completely :)

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

caledonianblues wrote:At one point I would have been completely against the thought of hunting with a spear, adamant that it was not an ethical form of hunting and that it would most likely lead to unnecessary animal suffering. I'm now of the opinion that in the wrong hands, any weapon can lead to unnecessary animal suffering. In the right hands, a spear can be an extremely effective tool, and a fast and humane way to dispatch an animal. I watched a video the other night, where a hunter used a spear to take down in a brown bear. The spear went clean through the chest and the animal was dead in about 12 or 13 seconds. You can't get much more humane or ethical than that. A good example of a tool in the right hands.

Humans suck, and sadly common sense is no longer common. It's pretty rare. At least in my experience. For that reason, you can be sure that no matter what the weapon is, there will always be some muppet out there that uses is incorrectly and causes undue pain and suffering. At the same time bringing a bad name to hunting and/or to that method of hunting. A lot of it comes down to lack of respect for the animal being hunted. If you don't respect the animal then I don't think you can really be trusted to behave in a responsible and ethical manner when hunting it. In which case, you shouldn't even be hunting. Period.
Amen to that! Always a bad apple in the bunch, and unfortunately it seems like a lot of those guys are the ones on the hunting shows. And we wonder why so many people hate hunting...

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Urgia
Scout

Post by Urgia »

Driven hunts and shooting at running animals can also be considered unethical, I mean you could really hit anything. Also spraying rabbits and flying birds with lead from a shotgun is not exactly precise, many could get away injured.

Yet those above are considered conventional/traditional ways of hunting, nobody question those. Maybe some people see spear hunting too bloody, forgetting the fact that the faster the animal bleeds out the faster it expires.

EDIT: I just wanted to add this educational video on spear hunting
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

SoftShoe wrote:Bleeding out, maybe fast, maybe slowly or having the living flesh ripped from your limbs & consumed as your screamed out in terror & pain?

*mic drop*
Softshoe YOU are my hero!

LOL
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Urgia wrote:
Awesome video, thanks for sharing!

It does look like fun, if I were 10yrs younger (who am I kidding, 20yrs) I would probably try it myself!

thehammer223
Tracker

Post by thehammer223 »

nachthexe wrote:
Lem wrote:what self respecting governing body is allowing the use of neon spears to take wild game?. i honestly cant belive this is a real product on the market.
If in doubt, I would say USA. :)

Google image search snoop shows http://www.unitedcutlery.com/Category.aspx?cat=M4 as a source
I think you are right. Videos are all over youtube where people are using spears to hunt bear, boar, and some deer. I don't think this would be a smart decision in the Hunter Classic.

[When in doubt, use a bigger caliber.]
[My TheHunter Classic name is "Cerebral_Stalker"]

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”