Slug Gun

Hawkeye
Outfitter

Slug Gun

Post by Hawkeye »

I know we have 3 different shotguns, but hear me out. A dedicated Slug Gun has a rifled barrel, and is effective at 125 yards or more. They usually have scopes with higher power than our 2x red dot...something like the 4x scope or so. Some areas of the United States use these often, since real rifles are not allowed.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/galle ... 1001349637
Eggenberg
Trophy Hunter

Re: Slug Gun

Post by Eggenberg »

Oooh, that's a sexy bit of kit :)
snakeyes32
Outfitter

Post by snakeyes32 »

Yeah i pretty sure parts of NY you can't hunt with rifles not sure about other states. So i would not mind seeing one added.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Forgive me if some of this information is dated. To the best of my knowledge, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio, New Jersey, New York and Illinois are no-rifle states. Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia have some counties that don't allow rifles. Most of Minnesota and Wisconsin don't allow rifles. Michigan is split in half with one half not allowing rifles.

All of the locales that outlaw rifles do allow shotguns and/or muzzleloaders. To meet regulations but still have decent range, the rifled slug gun is very popular.

From the above link, I really like the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter, the Browning Gold Deer Hunter, and the Benelli Super Black Eagle II.
REAPNASTY
Hunter

Post by REAPNASTY »

I was thinking the same thing,we mainly use shotguns here and the military base is slugs only for deer and bear.I would love to see a semi-auto slug gun be it a Benelli,Winchester or Remington to name a few.Also,how about some Brenekke slugs???There are some devastating slugs on the market now and it would be nice to see a new slug gun and new ammo to shoot out of it.
cabelam
Outfitter

Post by cabelam »

Hawkeye wrote:Forgive me if some of this information is dated. To the best of my knowledge, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio, New Jersey, New York and Illinois are no-rifle states. Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia have some counties that don't allow rifles. Most of Minnesota and Wisconsin don't allow rifles. Michigan is split in half with one half not allowing rifles.

All of the locales that outlaw rifles do allow shotguns and/or muzzleloaders. To meet regulations but still have decent range, the rifled slug gun is very popular.

From the above link, I really like the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter, the Browning Gold Deer Hunter, and the Benelli Super Black Eagle II.
I hunted in NY a few years ago and I was surprised at how many people still thought you can only use a shotgun in NY. In most of NY now, you can use a rifle. There are still some places where you can't, but most of the state you can use a rifle now.

I must admit, when I could only use a shotgun in NY, (I did that a long time ago) it was very thrilling, because you had to get closer than you would have to with a rifle.

The same thing is going on in SE PA, (ex, Chester county). You can only use shotguns there, but slugs are great. I enjoy hunting in Chester a lot because of the high deer population and it is the only area in PA where you can use buckshot, (it is illegal in most other counties).

Overall, a slug-only shotgun would be a nice addition. :)
Sloffie
Hunter

Post by Sloffie »

At first I wanted to say "Naaahh!", but come to think of it, a generic dedicated slug gun would be great! I love hunting with the S/S with slugs as it has immense stopping power and its good fun.

I would like it to be a single shot as above with good iron sights/peep sights and then the option to attach one of the existing generic scopes. Should make bear hunting GREAT fun.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

muzzle loader make it obsolete :D
Raptor02
Outfitter

Post by Raptor02 »

I live in niagara county NY. It's only shotgun slugs around here. Any county bordering PA or up in the adirondacks you can use a rifle other than that just shotgun muzzleloader and bow. I shoot a Remington 870 wingmaster with a smooth bore slug barrel, I have a leupold vari-x ii 2-7x33 shotguns scope. Thick duplex reticle. The smooth bore is very accurate especially with that scope. But you can get better results with a rifled barrel and sabot slugs. I would love to see something a long these lines released in the future.

My shotgun is sighted for 2" high at 50yds and its about 6" low at 100yds. That's shooting standard 1oz rifled 2 3/4" slugs. I know most sabots shot out of a rifled barrel will hold that drop over a 125yd distance.
ryanking513

Post by ryanking513 »

I agree with this slug gun I know in Ohio use can use a slug shot gun here no high powerful rifles here a slug gun with a rifle barrel would be cook like a verison of Remington 870 express with iron sights or More power full scope. Also a bolt action Slug master 3 round shot i killed plenty of deer with one and also coyotes

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”