Airguns!

snakeyes32
Outfitter

Re: Airguns!

Post by snakeyes32 »

I have done my research and an airgun make less noise then any suppressed rifle. EDIT: only exception to this is a military suppressed rifle which is not commercially available to the public and even then it not much less the an airgun at pointblank range.

Real-world data[edit]
Live tests by independent reviewers of numerous commercially available suppressors find that even low caliber unsuppressed .22 LR handguns produce gunshots over 160 decibels.[14] In testing, most of the suppressors reduced the volume to between 130 and 145 dB, with the quietest suppressors metering at 117 dB. The actual suppression of sound ranged from 14.3 to 43 dB, with most data points around the 30 dB mark. A notable example is the De Lisle carbine, a British World War II suppressed rifle used in small numbers by Special Forces. This was recorded at 85.5 dB in official firing tests.[15]
Comparatively, ear protection commonly used while shooting provides 18 to 32 dB of sound reduction at the ear.[16] Further, chainsaws, rock concerts, rocket engines, pneumatic drills, small firecrackers, and ambulance sirens are rated at 100 to 140 dB.[17]
While some consider the noise reduction of a suppressor significant enough to permit safe shooting without hearing protection ("hearing safe"), noise-induced hearing loss may occur at 85 time-weighted-average decibels or above if exposed for a prolonged period,[18] and suppressed gunshots regularly meter above 130 dB. However, the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration uses 140 dB as the "safety cutoff" for impulsive noise, which has led most U.S. manufacturers to advertise sub-140 dB suppressors as "hearing safe." It should be noted that current OSHA standards would allow no more than sub-single-second exposure to impact noise over 130 dB per 24 hours. That would equate to a single .308 round fired through a very efficient can. This result effectively requires all users of suppressors to wear additional ear hearing protection

http://www.straightshooters.com/decibel ... rguns.html

Point blank an airgun roughly produces 88 dB
10 yards 76 dB
25 yards 68 dB
50 yards 64 dB
snakeyes32
Outfitter

Post by snakeyes32 »

Hamsaphina wrote:Wouldn't it be cool to see one of the big bore air rifles in theHunter? Quiet like a bow but shoots like a rifle! :o Would be so cool! Those things are fun to shoot.
Also ain't you contradicting your original post.
Hamsaphina
Tracker

Post by Hamsaphina »

88 db! What kind of airgun is that lol! my airgun shoots at 117 db. Anyway, it will still spook animals and airgun hunting is VERY different from firearm hunting. Airguns have a lot of bullet drop and you almost always need to aim high. They also have terrible knockdown power and you always have to get heart and head/neck shots. If you have ever hunted with the big bore the pcp's, you know you need ear protection. It doesn't have to be quiet in game anyway, remember this is still a game, and games aren't real life :)
Hamsaphina
Tracker

Post by Hamsaphina »

snakeyes32 wrote:
Hamsaphina wrote:Wouldn't it be cool to see one of the big bore air rifles in theHunter? Quiet like a bow but shoots like a rifle! :o Would be so cool! Those things are fun to shoot.
Also ain't you contradicting your original post.
I admit, very contradicting lol! I have changed my views since then, thanks for pointing that out.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Wow, a solid that doesn't manage a pass-through on under 50m in that video. I'm definitely impressed. About someone being impressed by that.

One could kill a big animal with a slingshot. Doesn't mean that it should be done.

Do I want something like that in the game? Clearly not.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
snakeyes32
Outfitter

Post by snakeyes32 »

Click the link you can see the dB of a ton of airguns it not made up i provided a link. and even 117 is less then a suppressed rifle. Yes you are right you need to hit vitals with an airgun and does have a lot more bullet drop and yeah it is a game so they could make them anyway they wanted. But then it comes down to the fact your going to lose a lot of animals if you don't get that vital hit. But as i said before if they want to add them so be it it would not bother me i might even buy one and use it to hunt with just for some fun.
snakeyes32
Outfitter

Post by snakeyes32 »

Knut wrote:Wow, a solid that doesn't manage a pass-through on under 50m in that video. I'm definitely impressed. About someone being impressed by that.

One could kill a big animal with a slingshot. Doesn't mean that it should be done.

Do I want something like that in the game? Clearly not.

If you watch the whole video they do mange to get a pass through on one of them the one that's skinned at the end of the video.
Hamsaphina
Tracker

Post by Hamsaphina »

Airguns can pass a pellet through, but they are meant to be used for head/neckshots. With an airgun you can't aim at the lungs and expect a downed animal. That's what I love about airgun hunting, challenging and very rewarding!
snakeyes32
Outfitter

Post by snakeyes32 »

I have to point out one thing about this topic you got me to go and do some research on airguns so i did learn quite a bit so i have to say thanks for that. Always good to learn new things.
j.galloway
Hunter

Post by j.galloway »

snakeyes32 wrote:Watch this video this ain't no rabbit or crow and he take that animal at 52 yards or 47m and don't even spook the other bull that was there watching them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o0XVa5oyMU

dude... that's a 357... big difference between that and a walmart .177 pellet gun... by at least 180 ft-lbs.
Also... it has something between 150-250 ft-lbs... that's a .17hmr...

I wouldn't shoot a 17hmr at anything bigger than a a rabbit/raccoon anyway, because I like a clean one shot kill. though yes I have heard where a 22lr has taken deer before... doesn't mean you should

Airguns are for small game... ie rabbits, crows, rats, starlings ext.

snakeyes32 wrote: Point blank an airgun roughly produces 88 dB
10 yards 76 dB
25 yards 68 dB
50 yards 64 dB

how did this get about sound? an .177/.22 airgun is just as loud (if not slightly more so) then bows. but in real life I'm sure not going to take my bow and shoot arrows at a rat now am I? If your willing to do that... well have fun

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”