Midsummer Event

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.
ogruls
Outfitter

Re: Midsummer Event

Post by ogruls »

JimboCrow wrote: No offense intended to any of the competitors, but this is clearly a seam in the fabric of the game, like shooting 50 or 60 Black bears in one real time hour.

In the past, sometimes, EW has taken steps to 'repair' these seams or have altered the event when it becomes an issue. Make no mistake, this is an exploit, much like Fast Traveling to a tent is with no form of penalty, in time lost to travel the distance, or especially in spooking the animals nearby.

Hopefully this problem attracts the attention it deserves. This is why BCKidd's comps are currently superior to EW's events: he makes steadfast rules to protect against exploits, and all players are required to abide by them. Once again, no disrespect intended to the competitors, I would do exactly the same thing. May the best competitor win.
No offence taken..................I have another 2 treestand locations for Sambar & Rusa that perform similar to this location, would the using of them also be considered an exploit? Bow hunting from treestand using spray minimum of 30min real time per hunt?
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Is it an exploit hunting where the sambar deer are? I would say it's ew:s fault for concentrating them like that. No bait sites is this effective not even close. It's fun and a different experience so no reason to fix.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

ogruls wrote:
JimboCrow wrote: No offense intended to any of the competitors, but this is clearly a seam in the fabric of the game, like shooting 50 or 60 Black bears in one real time hour.

In the past, sometimes, EW has taken steps to 'repair' these seams or have altered the event when it becomes an issue. Make no mistake, this is an exploit, much like Fast Traveling to a tent is with no form of penalty, in time lost to travel the distance, or especially in spooking the animals nearby.

Hopefully this problem attracts the attention it deserves. This is why BCKidd's comps are currently superior to EW's events: he makes steadfast rules to protect against exploits, and all players are required to abide by them. Once again, no disrespect intended to the competitors, I would do exactly the same thing. May the best competitor win.
No offence taken..................I have another 2 treestand locations for Sambar & Rusa that perform similar to this location, would the using of them also be considered an exploit? Bow hunting from treestand using spray minimum of 30min real time per hunt?
I have always advocated that FT to a tent should be like firing a shot. It should scatter nearby animals and clear the area for at least one in-game hour. This is EW's problem, and they will decide to fix it or it will persist. First and foremost they are trying to run a business, so it will be a difficult decision indeed. But they need to take a good look at how their events are being advantaged, and how they are being perceived. I want the game to continue to grow too, but these events always seem to garner justified criticism and I don't think it's the players' fault. Like I said, I would do the same thing. EW has some new and very astute and create people, and I believe they can solve this issue should they choose to do so. How they go about it is for them to decide, but a solution needs to be found, don't you think?
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

JimboCrow wrote: I have always advocated that FT to a tent should be like firing a shot. It should scatter nearby animals and clear the area for at least one in-game hour. This is EW's problem, and they will decide to fix it or it will persist. First and foremost they are trying to run a business, so it will be a difficult decision indeed. But they need to take a good look at how their events are being advantaged, and how they are being perceived. I want the game to continue to grow too, but these events always seem to garner justified criticism and I don't think it's the players' fault. Like I said, I would do the same thing. EW has some new and very astute and create people, and I believe they can solve this issue should they choose to do so. How they go about it is for them to decide, but a solution needs to be found, don't you think?
The events being taken advantage of same as all grinding events are, those that put most time into it get the better scores. If you can't put 6 hours a day in every day of the event you be lucky to be in top 10 which disadvantages the players who can't put the time in. Would sooner see comps where high scoring animals from multi species are used myself, instead of having to continuously grind.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

ogruls wrote:
JimboCrow wrote: I have always advocated that FT to a tent should be like firing a shot. It should scatter nearby animals and clear the area for at least one in-game hour. This is EW's problem, and they will decide to fix it or it will persist. First and foremost they are trying to run a business, so it will be a difficult decision indeed. But they need to take a good look at how their events are being advantaged, and how they are being perceived. I want the game to continue to grow too, but these events always seem to garner justified criticism and I don't think it's the players' fault. Like I said, I would do the same thing. EW has some new and very astute and create people, and I believe they can solve this issue should they choose to do so. How they go about it is for them to decide, but a solution needs to be found, don't you think?
The events being taken advantage of same as all grinding events are, those that put most time into it get the better scores. If you can't put 6 hours a day in every day of the event you be lucky to be in top 10 which disadvantages the players who can't put the time in. Would sooner see comps where high scoring animals from multi species are used myself, instead of having to continuously grind.
There is a solution- make the comps so that only the animals harvested in the first x number of hours count. Anything after that wouldn't count. Continue with 3-5 attempts. That would make the majority of comps and events fair. ;) Respect,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

knott wrote:Is it an exploit hunting where the sambar deer are? I would say it's ew:s fault for concentrating them like that. No bait sites is this effective not even close. It's fun and a different experience so no reason to fix.
Bait sites have a penalty for shooting an animal, as they should. The system was overhauled (after it was shown to be broken) to improve the system overall, at which point they also addressed some of the criticisms of the mechanic. Yet there is still no penalty for FT to a tent, and still no penalty for killing an animal from a tree stand with a bow when using scent spray. I've been here a long time, and these 'improvements" have been added over time to a game originally designed without them. EW could modify the spawning patterns, or even the particular add-ons that have brought with them some adverse affects, but perhaps they don't want to.
Last edited by JimboCrow on June 26th, 2021, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

BCKidd wrote:
ogruls wrote:
There is a solution- make the comps so that only the animals harvested in the first x number of hours count. Anything after that wouldn't count. Continue with 3-5 attempts. That would make the majority of comps and events fair. ;) Respect,

BCKidd.
I do like this time-type of comp. I simply work too much and can't spend nearly as much time playing on the the computer as I'd like; there's no way I could come close to the scores from 'grinders'. However, when only the animals harvested in the first few hours count, I can usually at least get an "okay" score in. Something enough so I can feel good about it. :) And if other want to continue that hunt for longer, that's fine, too... as long as they know the animals harvested after the set time wouldn't count for that competition.
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

JimboCrow wrote:
knott wrote:Is it an exploit hunting where the sambar deer are? I would say it's ew:s fault for concentrating them like that. No bait sites is this effective not even close. It's fun and a different experience so no reason to fix.
Bait sites have a penalty for shooting an animal, as they should. The system was overhauled (after it was shown to be broken) to improve the system overall, at which point they also addressed some of the criticisms of the mechanic. Yet there is still no penalty for FT to a tent, and still no penalty for killing an animal from a tree stand with a bow when using scent spray. I've been here a long time, and these 'improvements" have been added over time to a game originally designed without them. EW could modify the spawning patterns, or even the particular add-ons that have brought with them some adverse affects, but perhaps they don't want to.
Why would there be a penalty for hunting in a particular way, using the equipment as it is intended to be used?
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

ogruls wrote:
JimboCrow wrote:
Why would there be a penalty for hunting in a particular way, using the equipment as it is intended to be used?
I made my point. I mean you no disrespect. Good luck to you in the event.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

A suggestion I have for future events is for puck$ (or whatever point$) to be awarded only for animals which were NOT harvested from a treestand/blind/tripod/tower etc. That would equal the playing field quite a bit, I think. Take away some of the advantage that those with deployables have.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

Return to “Official Community Competitions”