Community-made Comps

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.
Threwlys
Tracker

Re: Community-made Comps

Post by Threwlys »

CaplockHunter wrote:I just looked at the comps hoping an elk comp was available that i'd like to enter. 2 for RME and 2 for Roosevelt. Nothing that i'll enter and it depressing. I bought a .340 mag gun and want to try it out in a comp and can't.

My problem with the present comps.

RME
1) Total weight of all the elk you shoot wins.
(This leads to mass killing. Shoot everything you see including cows. That's not hunting)

2) Highest score wins but it has to be done with a shotgun.
(Nobody in my world of elk hunting uses a shotgun to hunt for elk. Arcade)

Roosevelt
)1Heaviest elk shot with a shotgun.
(There you go again. Arcade)

2) Your closes shot without using stands, tripods etc.
( who thought this one up? So, you lay prone and let the elk walk up to you and stick the rifle in it's chest? Winner is at 0.5. What's that 2 ft away> Hunting? Arcade.)

Hunting by it nature can be boring. To make up silly rules to hunt by to please the arcade players while offending those who like to keep t real is a strange strategy. You're throwing Classic out the window of being a simulation.

Sports are fun to do and watch. They have the same rules all the time. What makes it interesting to watch and do is trying to beat the other guy/team at it. No need to make the rules silly to keep it from being boring.

The hunter should decide what weapon they want to use. The hunter should decide where to shoot the animal. It only takes one animal to decide a winner. Long shots are shooting and not hunting. Don't force someone to do it. Let t be the hunters choice. Everything should be the hunters choice. That's part of hunting. The competition should decide who's the best hunter. Not who can beat some silly rules.

Some will say if you don't like the rules don't enter. I say........give me something to enter. I want to hunt too.

BRAVOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

:arrow: CaplockHunter- I say, join the community comps that are hosted by community members like yourself who like to keep it real... https://forum.thehunter.com/viewforum.php?f=126. The rules are maybe more to your liking. ;) Respect,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

BCKidd wrote::arrow: CaplockHunter- I say, join the community comps that are hosted by community members like yourself who like to keep it real... https://forum.thehunter.com/viewforum.php?f=126. The rules are maybe more to your liking. ;) Respect,

BCKidd.
I'd love too but I only hunt for elk and also blacktail now. They don't come up often enough. I'll be picky about which comps I enter and just go hunt alone in between.

Picky old mountain man. :D
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

No comment on my post Avery?

Just shut up old man we'll keep doing it our way?
Pete

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

Sorry, been a bit busy. The comps are supposed to cater to people across the board, so we can't only have one type. As it stands, we have 4 set scorers and until we manage to add to them we have to create the comps from those. If they're all exactly the same scorer (say, 5 comps that are all your highest scoring Rocky Mountain Elk) the same people will always compete in them and probably win them. By mixing it up, it gives other people a chance. People have their favourites for animals, guns or hunting styles and it evens things out for everyone to find a comp they like.

You, for instance, don't hunt elk with slugs, and I know a lot of players prefer not to once they've gotten other guns or bows. So a chance goes to other players, hopefully the newbies but I'll admit it doesn't always work out that cleanly.

With regard to other parameters, it mixes things up for people. Gets them trying different weapons, hunting styles, or animals they don't normally hunt. And stops gameplay getting stale.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Ok, thanks for the answer.

A question...........Any reason you can't have two comps going on the same dates. Maybe a normal high score with your pick of weapons and another with unusual rules. Unusual is as kind as I can get. ;)

More hunters would be happy then.
Pete

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

AveryW88 wrote:Sorry, been a bit busy. The comps are supposed to cater to people across the board, so we can't only have one type. As it stands, we have 4 set scorers and until we manage to add to them we have to create the comps from those. If they're all exactly the same scorer (say, 5 comps that are all your highest scoring Rocky Mountain Elk) the same people will always compete in them and probably win them. By mixing it up, it gives other people a chance. People have their favourites for animals, guns or hunting styles and it evens things out for everyone to find a comp they like.

You, for instance, don't hunt elk with slugs, and I know a lot of players prefer not to once they've gotten other guns or bows. So a chance goes to other players, hopefully the newbies but I'll admit it doesn't always work out that cleanly.

With regard to other parameters, it mixes things up for people. Gets them trying different weapons, hunting styles, or animals they don't normally hunt. And stops gameplay getting stale.
That is how comps should be done. Mixing them up does keep things from going stale. It is also kind of funny, that folks get used to one way of play and assume that is the way it is, until they try to post a comp score and learn they didn't follow the rules... That happens in the Hosted Community comps- a lot. :D Respectfully,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

BCKidd wrote:
AveryW88 wrote:....With regard to other parameters, it mixes things up for people. Gets them trying different weapons, hunting styles, or animals they don't normally hunt. And stops gameplay getting stale.
That is how comps should be done. Mixing them up does keep things from going stale. It is also kind of funny, that folks get used to one way of play and assume that is the way it is, until they try to post a comp score and learn they didn't follow the rules... That happens in the Hosted Community comps- a lot. :D Respectfully,

BCKidd.
BCKidd- you absolutely DO keep us on our toes with your comps! :lol: I find myself frequently peeking back at your rules for whichever one I'm punishing myself with... er, I mean... that I'm participating in... at the time, just to be sure that what I'm doing will count. It's not at all that your rules are tricky, or that they're not clear. It's just that I've had enough invalid entries in the years past (think UHC) because of not looking closely at the rules. I hate kicking myself at the end of a hunt that didn't count, all because of my own dumb fault! :D
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

splainin2do wrote:
BCKidd wrote:
AveryW88 wrote:....With regard to other parameters, it mixes things up for people. Gets them trying different weapons, hunting styles, or animals they don't normally hunt. And stops gameplay getting stale.

BCKidd.
BCKidd- you absolutely DO keep us on our toes with your comps! :lol: I find myself frequently peeking back at your rules for whichever one I'm punishing myself with... er, I mean... that I'm participating in... at the time, just to be sure that what I'm doing will count. It's not at all that your rules are tricky, or that they're not clear. It's just that I've had enough invalid entries in the years past (think UHC) because of not looking closely at the rules. I hate kicking myself at the end of a hunt that didn't count, all because of my own dumb fault! :D
:lol: Yep, it always pays to read the rules. I change it up often, as soon as folks start to get used to them, I change 'em... :twisted: :D Respect,

BCKidd.

Keep it real!
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

How can someone be entered in the starter and intermediate classes for the same comp? Look at the blacktail hunt.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “Official Community Competitions”