Community-made Comps

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: Community-made Comps

Post by Tod1d »

HooCairs wrote:Thanks for the explanation. Now my head spins! Even more so I need a plan! :D
I think the idea of more robust filters/sorting on the comps page would really help out with planning.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Well I for myself really need a one page overview where I can mark the ones I like and see what else is going on at the same time. One look, 1-2 minutes and I know what I want to do. Filtering/sorting still needs me to open up each comp and check what it is. If at least we could know there is going to be a fix schedule again at some point, over how many days each time, I could start building my plan again.

Below what I used to use. Since it was done in Excel I could also highlight today's day and see right away what was on for each animal.

It is now blank but my favorite comps used to be color marked.

My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
EduT
Hunter

Post by EduT »

EduT wrote:hi, present my competition.

* competition name: antler bones
*animals: whitetail, muledeer, Roosevelt Elk, Rocky Mountain Elk
*scoring: combined total score of all
*reserve: Redfeather falls, Timbergold Trails
*weapon: Any permitted.
Special Requirements: heart and slungs , other organs can be hit!
*description: the highest combined score of each of the required animals! the highest score wins!
This competition is active, thanks to EW I appreciate it very much!
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

It was fun participating in the comp "357 Special" that I submitted, and placing third. Thanks for adding it!

Not so sure about this trophy though :? Image :lol:
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

AveryW88 wrote:The animals are split in two with 24 animals having a comp starting each day. All animals have an available competition every day. Weekends add at least one multispecies comp and the weekly comp. Events obviously replace the weekly comp when they run. The 24 animals are split with 4 have a Starter/Intermediate/Elite and the other 20 having a regular, which cycles through the list.

Each animal has it's competitions run one after the other, but they have a different number of comps each so some will come up more frequently in the rotation.

Rotation will change as new comps from the community and us are added to the list of available comps. Older weekly comps will be gradually added into the rotation as well either as multis or species specific.
I've been trying to create a spreadsheet to track the competitions. I'm on day 30 and some species are still getting more comps added while others have been repeating since day 13. I'm trying to create a spreadsheet with tabs for each reserve so I can quickly and easily check what comps are available and which ones will be starting next.

Are all the comps going to be entered soon with a stable schedule or is this still a work in progress on your end? This little project I started is getting pretty big and messy and I don't really want to start cleaning it up and building the individual reserve pages until I see a stable schedule emerge and no new content being added.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

It'll be a little while still, I'm afraid. We don't like to scrimp on testing, and we can't ignore new content either. It does slow things down but dodges a lot of release bugs.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

AveryW88 wrote:It'll be a little while still, I'm afraid. We don't like to scrimp on testing, and we can't ignore new content either. It does slow things down but dodges a lot of release bugs.
Well that just left me with more questions than answers, but was kind of what I expected /feared. Now I have to decide whether to shelve the project or just carry on and amend it as needed. :?
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Even with all the comps I don't always have one I will compete in. There are certain rules I won't do like longest shot or most weight of all your kills. Another is weapon that has to be used. Heart and lung only is another.

The competition should be the other hunters. Not some silly rules that have nothing to do with hunting but arcade gaming instead.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

mel_o_mel wrote:I've been trying to create a spreadsheet to track the competitions.
I used to do the same but have given up. Once this is all stable, would be cool if you could share your spreadsheet. :D
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

I just looked at the comps hoping an elk comp was available that i'd like to enter. 2 for RME and 2 for Roosevelt. Nothing that i'll enter and it depressing. I bought a .340 mag gun and want to try it out in a comp and can't.

My problem with the present comps.

RME
1) Total weight of all the elk you shoot wins.
(This leads to mass killing. Shoot everything you see including cows. That's not hunting)

2) Highest score wins but it has to be done with a shotgun.
(Nobody in my world of elk hunting uses a shotgun to hunt for elk. Arcade)

Roosevelt
)1Heaviest elk shot with a shotgun.
(There you go again. Arcade)

2) Your closes shot without using stands, tripods etc.
( who thought this one up? So, you lay prone and let the elk walk up to you and stick the rifle in it's chest? Winner is at 0.5. What's that 2 ft away> Hunting? Arcade.)

Hunting by it nature can be boring. To make up silly rules to hunt by to please the arcade players while offending those who like to keep t real is a strange strategy. You're throwing Classic out the window of being a simulation.

Sports are fun to do and watch. They have the same rules all the time. What makes it interesting to watch and do is trying to beat the other guy/team at it. No need to make the rules silly to keep it from being boring.

The hunter should decide what weapon they want to use. The hunter should decide where to shoot the animal. It only takes one animal to decide a winner. Long shots are shooting and not hunting. Don't force someone to do it. Let t be the hunters choice. Everything should be the hunters choice. That's part of hunting. The competition should decide who's the best hunter. Not who can beat some silly rules.

Some will say if you don't like the rules don't enter. I say........give me something to enter. I want to hunt too.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.

Return to “Official Community Competitions”