[FEEDBACK] Official Community Competitions

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: Official Community Competitions - FEEDBACK

Post by Tod1d »

Deeem0n wrote:our goal is to make as many different options as possible. if you think that this particular competition is not for you, just wait another week, probably this one will be your favorite, so you can participate and win. simple like that :)
What he said ^

I'll play devils advocate & lobby for the long-shooters & grinders. If all the comps are what is being referred to as "normal", then those that prefer the extreme challenge get alienated.
Whereas if there is an equitable mix, everybody gets a chance to compete in the style of comp that they like.

Brian mentioned "Realistic". Here's a 'realistic' suggestion: 1 kill tag. You get a chance to kill 1 animal. The first animal of that species that you kill is your entry. No improving your score. No killing everything you see and hoping one of them is a big winner. You "hunt" for a winner, then make a good shot.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
SRV
Tracker

Post by SRV »

Deeem0n

If i read and understand some of your comment correctly, EW's intentions, each time they'll create a community comp, is to try to make all different kind of comps,to suit all styles, instead of aiming to reach the most people all the time .
So even though a style might push away lots of people, you are willing to do it still, because it could be a style you didn't do yet .

Your goal should be to make the most people happy with every comp you make .

The grinders / long shooters can find plenty of them comps in the weekly ones if you want my opinion.

Steve
Dmitri
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Dmitri »

SRV wrote:Deeem0n

If i read and understand some of your comment correctly, EW's intentions, each time they'll create a community comp, is to try to make all different kind of comps,to suit all styles, instead of aiming to reach the most people all the time .
So even though a style might push away lots of people, you are willing to do it still, because it could be a style you didn't do yet .

Your goal should be to make the most people happy with every comp you make .

The grinders / long shooters can find plenty of them comps in the weekly ones if you want my opinion.

Steve
is there any certain way to determine "the most people all the time"? I doubt...
even if we had, what to do with "minority", who really enjoy long shot comps or spend 3 days grinding or 1 kill hunt suggested by Tod above? :)
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

Way I see it is there are 52 weekends in the year so plenty scope and opportunity for comps of all different types for all the different styles of hunting.
SRV
Tracker

Post by SRV »

ogruls wrote:Way I see it is there are 52 weekends in the year so plenty scope and opportunity for comps of all different types for all the different styles of hunting.
Yeah, in the end , you could have a point here . So again, lets see what will be offered to us the rest of the year .
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

Why not have multiple weekend comps on a weekend?
More folks satisfied at once.
Have 1 long-range (Harvest a cottontail from the longest range), 1 grind (Kill as many black bears as you can in 5 games), 1 normal scoring comp (Like harvest the biggest mule deer), and 1 weird comp (Like harvest the smallest mule deer buck over 100 meters with a bow).
I don't see a disadvantage in running multiple ones.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Here is my 2 cents, why dont make some themed weeks in the month? and let people know what theme is for each week, something like this:

Week 01: Gameplay style focused. This week you made one competition based in "niches", like long distance, bowhunting, waterfowl, etc.
Week 02: Weapons focused. You select a weapons type, bows, shotgun, rifles, etc, and make a competition based in that weapons.
Week 03: Grind, this week competition could be simply focused in grinding.
Week 04: Anything can happen, this is a week with no theme and can be always a surprise what is in for this weekend.

This wont make everyone happy, but it gives to the community a way to know what to expect every week, and to know more less what to expect for every week, and prepare(gather gms/ems) for the competitions they are intended to participate.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

Deeem0n wrote:please note that there is no any single chance to make everyone happy - some people enjoy long shot comps, some want to spend 3 days and grind as many animals as they can, some want to find the biggest (weight or score) animal but other say it is more about luck rather than skills.
our goal is to make as many different options as possible. if you think that this particular competition is not for you, just wait another week, probably this one will be your favorite, so you can participate and win. simple like that :)
re trophyshot competitions - these are still in action and each weekend competition has appropriate "Best trophyshot" post on the forum. unfortunately, most people use it not to post the trophyshot but to complain "this competition is not for me, I won't participate it for % reason".
Agreed! No one can ever make everyone happy, and everyone needs to understand that. Take turns in the game and in life - play nice and share!
The only 'disagree' is that when people post they won't participate in a competition (because just as in real life, you'll never fully stop the complainers), they don't always give a constructive reason. ;)
El Turista
Tracker

Post by El Turista »

I like the shot placemen comps. Those feel more realistic and "sport like". We have the harvest value that as I see should be more important in competitions.

Also like the "first animal" like the one that actually is for grizzly bear (in the heat of the moment is? Can't remember)
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

El Turista wrote:I like the shot placemen comps. Those feel more realistic and "sport like". We have the harvest value that as I see should be more important in competitions.

Also like the "first animal" like the one that actually is for grizzly bear (in the heat of the moment is? Can't remember)
Yeah me too, as long as it is the "first animal shot" and not the "first animal harvested' (they are two different things), and yes Harvest Value as a scoring attribute makes a lot of sense too, because the animal has to be shot in the right spot to get 100% HV- some skill is needed there. When I'm in a comp I like to go for long ones (if I don't mess up a hunt) and look for that trophy- the same as I would do in the backwoods in real life. There is more challenge to finding a good scoring animal then to simply shooting all of them, anyone can do that. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.

Return to “Official Community Competitions”