[FEEDBACK] Official Community Competitions

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Re: Official Community Competitions - FEEDBACK

Post by Schlachtwolf »

Oh lord, people complain that those that have loads the time to play are at an advantage over those who do not and therefore have no chance in the comps...... please wake up guys IT IS A GRINDERS GAME...... I am currently playing the Witcher 3 and going along at a nice pace doing missions and leveling up, played Mordor Shadow of War and after 300 hours was at the max in the game, on the online conquests etc.... finished. I have over 4000 hours in theHunter and have a score of around 37k..... not even a third of a Hoocairs etc.... many missions still to complete, and soooo many rares etc still to get. This is a long grind and enjoy for 10 years game. That is the reason it is still around, you may not be able to do a 3 hour hunt everyday but there is always the chance you might walk out of the lodge and the first male Whitetail is a 220 albino..... oh lord the joy !!!
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

ogruls wrote:
Dubitabilus wrote: [. . .]
  • Utilizes the Deer Bleat caller
[. . .]
So only 4 species of deer comps? Prefer hunting all the different animals and styles in the game than just one style. Plenty opportunity for different competition every weekend to suit all tastes and abilities as is without restricting them to 4 of the available 47 species in the game.
Exactly!
See how ridiculous it is to please the majority of the game every single weekend?
The weekend competitions are meant to highlight every aspect of theHunter has to offer, especially the more obscure or newly introduced content the game has to offer.

Business-wise, theHunter has to monetize in some way, especially after the move to the "free-mium" business model.
Competitions serve that dual purpose of incentivizing players to play and compete more AND potentially boost cash in-flows through concurrently running the weekly sales.

= = =

That said, I agree with curlyCoyote's statement:
curlyCoyote wrote:Why not have multiple weekend comps on a weekend?
Instead of only 1 long competition spanning the whole weekend, how about multiple "mini-comps" to complement the "Main" comp?
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

Schlachtwolf wrote:Oh lord, people complain that those that have loads the time to play are at an advantage over those who do not and therefore have no chance in the comps...... please wake up guys IT IS A GRINDERS GAME...... I am currently playing the Witcher 3 and going along at a nice pace doing missions and leveling up, played Mordor Shadow of War and after 300 hours was at the max in the game, on the online conquests etc.... finished. I have over 4000 hours in theHunter and have a score of around 37k..... not even a third of a Hoocairs etc.... many missions still to complete, and soooo many rares etc still to get. This is a long grind and enjoy for 10 years game. That is the reason it is still around, you may not be able to do a 3 hour hunt everyday but there is always the chance you might walk out of the lodge and the first male Whitetail is a 220 albino..... oh lord the joy !!!
And after the last Bull competition I have to say that it will be better that those competitions,the quality ones and for all players the long or short time ones must be Singe and not multi. That break the chances for the short time players.
Pucu
EW Staff
EW Staff

Re: [FEEDBACK] Official Community Competitions

Post by Pucu »

curlyCoyote wrote:Why not have multiple weekend comps on a weekend?
Short answer: launching new competitions takes time and resources.

Long answer:
Spoiler:
A new competition needs to be designed (idea, textual description etc), created (scripted), tested (QA).
Sometimes new trophies are designed and created.
Marketing material (images & copy) must be created to advertise it, then it needs to be announced on all community channels (launcher, steam, forum, facebook, twitter, discord, news website etc.)
Best trophy shot needs to be picked, winner announced and em$ prize transferred.
All this once a week.
Dubitabilus wrote:Think about the users that never get on here and see these weekend competitions.
In order to maximize visibility weekend competitions are announced across all community channels and social media, not only the forum.
Pucu | Game Designer
vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

If you can make something that prevent the game crashing at the moment we are ready to confirm a kill it would be an good thing. I saw many players reporting that this bug arrive many times the same way. When we push the button to confirm ,the game crash giving an error and close. I lost a big Apex today in the week end competition from that stupid error. :( And after that Doc comes with a message that we have not confirmed the kill. I wrote to Doc ( I don't know if someone read those messages) saying that like you can see that I killed the animal you can maybe confirm the kill for me :?: :lol:
Frew13

Post by Frew13 »

Hello. I would like to note a few points:
1) viewing your result at any time, and not just your position
(if this is a competition for several animals, for example, the average weight of three deers, then the ability to see the weight of each by clicking on the result of each participant in the competition table);
2) convenient viewing the results of the competition after its completion;
3) more female (male + female) competitions;
4) the limit of one game day for competitions on the number (total weight);
5) competition calendar in the launcher.
Thanks for the attention.
El Turista
Tracker

Post by El Turista »

I'm enjoying this comp (Ibex one June 7)... but at this time seams that SM isn't solved. Take a peeak at the first position 282 ibex. The hunting history of that player is plenty of 8m hunts, and even de one that get the trophy one is just a 30' run.

But... any way... it's a very reflexive and cunning comp and you have to "dicipline" your trigger, chose a fine target, or even spot a nice one and keep going to see if there is a nice one. Or shot one and keep it unharvested till you see the others. it feels much more "like hunting" and far for playin lotto.

the 100% trophy value is a wellcomed add. Choose the right weapon... One you are familiar to [EDIT: you may face realy long shots]... choose a proper shot... WE ARE HUNTING AGAIN!!!! Just so enjoyable...

@Pucu, keep on, youre doing great.

BTW... any news on new "revamps" like the one on turkeys? Coyote and foxes will use a facelift. Playing this comp and seeing the engine and the textures (i feeled the same in the previos Elk one) [EDIT any way enjoyable and beatifull... if youre not a 8k freak]made me sad. It's a great game with a great comnunity and with simple... "higienic" or "cosmetic" upgrades could it be so great.

If things like this comp gets to COTW may be that i even mind to reinstalit.

Good work, people. One more time

EDIT: And sorry for the kicks on the Shakespeare dead tonge. Sorry
El Turista
Tracker

Post by El Turista »

I was wondering about the SM that I commented before... An I realized that the very problem may be the usability and use of tents. The mechanic itself. It as some one suggested the tents was places to start " paying " supplies... Or simply if you wouldn't use them in-game, only start on them... Those simple changes would simply sweep off the SM that is already on the game. Me myself after "auditing" some red deer comps found and replicated those practices putting a tent and a stand on a given point that give the most wining bucks ... And I deed it worked. A lot of spawns all around and you simply have to start at the southern lodge, fast travel to the tent, spray some urine and make some calls. And then sit on the tree and wait for the given trophy . And in 20-30 minutes it pais. I don't like this way of playing. Just don't enjoy. And it's a EXPLOIT. it's not that someone with 10 years exp knows we're have to be and when. No. It's a formulaic way to play.

Things like the actual comp are totally against this practices, and i like. But what itches me is that the winer may be one of those "formulaic" players that play a way that personally I don t understand.

Oy! BTW it's not a rant! I just want to share my opinion and I respect the others.

Stay safe and GH.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

If I am being honest, even if the spawnmashers are still mashing kills for comp, it's still fun to hunt with my friend in multiplayer for the weekend comp. Also thank you for making it multiplayer-only, I can finally see all the expensive setups high hunter score players are hiding to themselves.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

In regards to the recent Valentine's day event, EW might want to consider some ways to make these events 'newbie' friendly.

For the mission to shoot 12 deer through the heart with Cupid Arrows, beginners are shut out because it is likely that they don't own a bow. For this type of event you might want to consider implementing 'Cupid Slugs', free like the other 12GA ammo, and limited to players with beginner and intermediate hunting scores. That way a beginner would at least have a chance to try the mission. If it is too difficult to implement a new ammo type for an event, allow ANY ammo to be used by beginners and intermediates.

Return to “Official Community Competitions”