[FEEDBACK] Official Community Competitions

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Re: Official Community Competitions - FEEDBACK

Post by Dubitabilus »

Would there be this much backlash against these "Featured" weekend comps if the reward's payout were not so much higher than the regular weekly comps? I believe there should at least be a 1-week notice for weekend competitions that players can plan, train, and save up for

If we want competitions to please the "majority" then we need comps that focus on:
  • .243 and/or 12 GA ammunition
  • Utilizes the Deer Bleat caller
  • Does not focus on obtaining quantities (favors those with the time to play)
  • Does not focus on max/min distance (favors CPU rigs that can accommodate render distance)
  • Does not "require" equipment setups (high barriers of entry regarding hunting certain waterfowl, and/or certain weapons)
Literally everyone has the two aforementioned firearms and are not excluded by those listed qualities thus equaling "the majority" of players.
In this line of reasoning for "pleasing the majority," the flexibility in the design of the competitions is severely hindered. I believe the main issue is that players are feeling "they took a loss" due to the significantly higher "potential" reward payouts compared to the weeklies (FOMO anyone?).

Personally, I don't participate in competitions (personal ethics against hunting competitions, even though this is a game :)) but I think these "Featured" competitions are great challenges and a clever way of showcasing animals. The forums only represent a fraction of a small percentage of the players of THC. Think about the users that never get on here and see these weekend competitions. I believe there should at least be an established schedule for weekend competitions that players can plan ahead of time for.
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

El Turista
Tracker

Post by El Turista »

BCKidd wrote:
El Turista wrote:I like the shot placemen comps. Those feel more realistic and "sport like". We have the harvest value that as I see should be more important in competitions.

Also like the "first animal" like the one that actually is for grizzly bear (in the heat of the moment is? Can't remember)
Yeah me too, as long as it is the "first animal shot" and not the "first animal harvested' (they are two different things), and yes Harvest Value as a scoring attribute makes a lot of sense too, because the animal has to be shot in the right spot to get 100% HV- some skill is needed there. When I'm in a comp I like to go for long ones (if I don't mess up a hunt) and look for that trophy- the same as I would do in the backwoods in real life. There is more challenge to finding a good scoring animal then to simply shooting all of them, anyone can do that. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.
Totally agree. The competitions of "best 4" feels like to dependant of grinding or plain luck. The ones that you (and me) propose exige seeing and tagging many trophy animals, knowing the reserve, the animal, and expending more time "hunting" than shooting. Other like the last of ducks are more like shooting in a country fair than other thing (funny, but no excessively skill dependant)

I also liked others as those about bears and the poker cards, or the Sant valentine's related with heartshots and roe deer.

Any way I also see that everybody should have their time. It's ok to me to have long shot or grinding comps and don't have any problems on giving them a try o just don't participate, but I surely like to see more "sporty" and realistic trophy hunt. Those are the ones that thrill me the most.

About the equipment... I restarted to play not to much time ago and already have a lot of equipment. But I see more fair to stick around free or cheap equipment related comps to let the newbies get into it. At least once or twice a mont. But anyway weapon comps are very interesting now and then (specialty the muzzleloader ones :3 )

Resuming: It's ok have comps that gets a lot of participants and can be played by anyone but some times more difficult and "realistic" ones are very enjoyable.

Another idea that gets my mind is to segregate purely animal competitions and weapon related or hunting style related one. Wouldn't it be nice to get into "classic rifles" comps or "just muzzleloader" comps, ground blind hunting... beside animal ones? Just wondering. Those for daily comps, I meant.
Treedweller
Tracker

Post by Treedweller »

My suggestions:

1. Make official competitions simple, "normal", accessible to everybody, without any special requirements. Shorten them to just one day. Replace the limited number of attempts with a limited total hunting time for each competition, like a couple of hours or whatever you deem fit. Roll these same competitions every day. This would give all players something to compete in at all times. Making these competitions single player only or at least making separate multiplayer competitions would be a plus.

2. Either integrate UHC competitions into the launcher or design your own support for community competitions with more sophisticated rules. Why would you do that? Because the prizes in community competitions represent an income you wouldn't get otherwise, and you want to maximize that income. Because it would encourage people to buy necessary equipment while taking the blame off you. Also because this would cater for players who want a bigger challenge and a bigger variety of competitions, while it would take a lot of trouble off your shoulders.
muledeer
Hunter

Post by muledeer »

Treedweller wrote: design your own support for community competitions with more sophisticated rules.
that would be really awesome
pastuh
Scout

Post by pastuh »

I would like to see much simpler competitions.

Example.. winner not by score, but by time.
"Kill 2 specific animals as fast as possible. Timer starts when hunter shoots first animal. Both animals must be collected."
(example: Timer starts when hunter hits Mule deer. Whitetail shot and claimed ends timer. )

"Claim specific specie as fast as possible. Timer starts when hunter kills animal"
(example: Timer starts when animal dies. So first.. hunter must sneak as close as possible to win.)

"Shoot as many as possible specific specie at specific time"
(example: Starts early in the morning, or late evening)

"Shoot specific specie in specific location"
(example: Location Three Lakes area could be marked in player map)
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

Dubitabilus wrote:Would there be this much backlash against these "Featured" weekend comps if the reward's payout were not so much higher than the regular weekly comps? I believe there should at least be a 1-week notice for weekend competitions that players can plan, train, and save up for

If we want competitions to please the "majority" then we need comps that focus on:
  • .243 and/or 12 GA ammunition
    [*]Utilizes the Deer Bleat caller
  • Does not focus on obtaining quantities (favors those with the time to play)
  • Does not focus on max/min distance (favors CPU rigs that can accommodate render distance)
  • Does not "require" equipment setups (high barriers of entry regarding hunting certain waterfowl, and/or certain weapons)
Literally everyone has the two aforementioned firearms and are not excluded by those listed qualities thus equaling "the majority" of players.
In this line of reasoning for "pleasing the majority," the flexibility in the design of the competitions is severely hindered. I believe the main issue is that players are feeling "they took a loss" due to the significantly higher "potential" reward payouts compared to the weeklies (FOMO anyone?).

Personally, I don't participate in competitions (personal ethics against hunting competitions, even though this is a game :)) but I think these "Featured" competitions are great challenges and a clever way of showcasing animals. The forums only represent a fraction of a small percentage of the players of THC. Think about the users that never get on here and see these weekend competitions. I believe there should at least be an established schedule for weekend competitions that players can plan ahead of time for.
So only 4 species of deer comps? Prefer hunting all the different animals and styles in the game than just one style. Plenty opportunity for different competition every weekend to suit all tastes and abilities as is without restricting them to 4 of the available 47 species in the game.
Pucu
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Pucu »

splainin2do wrote:I'd love to see the sales on competition equipment in lowered $gms prices and not just lowered $ems.
We (the dev team) would love to pay for our food, bills and rent with gm$ too ;)
Pucu | Game Designer
Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

Hello :-)

I'm not very active on classic anymore. What could bring me back to the game are Team-Comps. I waited 10 years for it.

Eg: Teams with 2 Player. Every team-member need to play in the same MP session and has something to do like harvest the heaviest wolf.
These added score is the entry to the comp. Very simple rules.

This would be really a new kind of competitions and could bring back many veterans who do not play classic anymore.

Regards from Berlin :-)
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

Pucu wrote:
splainin2do wrote:I'd love to see the sales on competition equipment in lowered $gms prices and not just lowered $ems.
We (the dev team) would love to pay for our food, bills and rent with gm$ too ;)
:lol: Fair enough! :D
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

More Ems for normal competitions. Right now it's more effective to grind Gms to buy what you need instead of Ems from competitions. Ems value has crashed when the change was made that Gms buy everything.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."

Return to “Official Community Competitions”