[FEEDBACK] Official Community Competitions

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.
Pucu
EW Staff
EW Staff

[FEEDBACK] Official Community Competitions

Post by Pucu »

I am creating this new thread for your feedback about Official Community Competitions in an effort to keep all the input given in one centralized place easy to consult for the dev team and moderators.

Please keep your feedback here respectful and constructive and we will do our best to listen to it.

Constructive feedback means providing useful comments and suggestions that contribute to a positive outcome, a better process or improved behaviours.
It provides encouragement, support, corrective measures and directions to help fixing the subject of the feedback.

If you are giving feedback about a specific competition, please make sure to mention the name of the competition and/or a direct link to it.
Pucu | Game Designer
SRV
Tracker

Re: Official Community Competitions - FEEDBACK

Post by SRV »

This is easy ... and thanks for this opportunity to speak up .

Objective : to make comps accessible as possible, for all, .

How : By making comps accessible for all !

Comps that are : long distance required and / or '' grinding ones '' ( all you can harvest in a full day comp kinda ) are accessible to a portion of the community .
You will only please so many with those . I think you got some reading about that not so long ago .
I think also, that there are some in the weekly comps, of that type .So it's not that it doesn't exist for them .

'' Normal '' comps , are so easy to create and they still can be fun and challenging .
Some examples :
- Lowest / scores combined scores ( we are not seeing them that much . Always high scoring / combined high scoring comps )
- Lowest females comps ( Again, not seeing any of them . Our female Reindeers are so nice and we don't even have comps for them )
- Any combo comps . Male + Female lets say . 2 species needed ( 1 WT + 1 BT i.e. )
- Smallest difference in score and weight of a species .

Some many combination it's too long to tell you . But keep in mind this :

- A long distance comp / grinding comp will have that type of players and push away the others, many others .
- A '' normal '' comp will have the other players AND the grinders and long shots players .

You could always go with some weapon requirements at times, but then again, a player missing that weapon won't be happy .
So i would stay away from those . Same thing with equipment requirement .

You can't please all for sure but you will always please way more people that way, with '' normal '' comps . And in my book, more happy people is the way to go .

Steve
vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

Already on 2012-13 I has my opinion of long shot competitions. At that time it was a limit for the distance to 200 m now is about 300 to see an animal especially birds and someone has a score of 332 m in pheasant hunting with a rifle :o
Now i see in the leader board the first one to have 335 m. that is impossible for a shotgun that have only 75. to 100m range and as for rifles the same the 17 with a range of 150 to 200 m and the Pinkerton the same. Give me the way all those players can reach 335m air shot if is not by abnormal ways. And it's not finish yet.Is the reason that I wont participate in any long shot competition but also in many others from 2014.
At the same time I am like Steve for the restriction that result by the attempts for normal players. Only the 24/7 players can play. I understand EW to push the more players to participate ,especially newbies and players after the new model because they have to purchase items and the 1000 EM$ is nothing compared to a old normal player who have all items ( tents.ammunition,Guns etc) I am one of them.For a newbie to buy the 80 tents I have needs 48000 EM$. And is only tents :!: How many comp have a new player to win to reach the mentioned amount?
My opinion is that EW think that in place of an member pay account is better to sale as may item they can to the new free members. For that reason I wont saw any old member in the top 20 of all new competitions. I hope that will work for EW and will not make the game die. ;)
Last edited by vsaet on May 18th, 2020, 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SRV
Tracker

Post by SRV »

... Would like to add some facts opinions about something in regards of the type of requirements of comps .

Take the example of : Lowest combined score of some species / gender .
- This would suit all . Grinders, long shots shooters, and the others .
- ALL players see small scoring animals . All of us !
- With the high scoring comps, not all players see big monsters !!
- It would make for tight competition .

So see, simple math 101 here . Simple common sense . Easy, practical and open to ALL !

Again, it should make plenty of players happy . Just one of plenty of types of comps possible to create .
If you ever need ideas or even comps created for you guys, let me know . It could be fun and a nice start to a good relationship .

Steve
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

I agree with a lot of this feedback!
  • I do feel the "most you can harvest" competitions might be fun for some, but not for all. There are people of all ages that can spend hours per day- kids home from school, retirees, etc., that have a better chance of scoring highest just because of the sheer time they are able to put into their attempts. Those of us that are lucky to find an hour or two on the weekends know there's no chance for us, so we won't bother and just have to wait and see what the next week's comp will offer.
  • I really enjoy the 'odd combination' competitions found in the forums, such as the score of one male animal plus the weight of a female, etc.
  • I prefer the competitions that do not require a specific weapon... but that's mostly because I don't own many different ones. I also know some may LIKE knowing they are competing against others using the same weapon, so none have an equipment advantage.
  • I like how the 'in game' comps do have beginner-intermediate-advanced levels of the same competition, so the newbies aren't left in the dust of the seasoned veterans. ;)
  • It's good when comps have a maximum number of attempts... but I understand the frustration of those with poor connections that might be 'booted' before they can do anything but see that that 'log in' was counted as an attempt. Not sure how that could be fixed, though?
  • I'm sad when a competition gives a huge advantage to someone that owns a lot of different equipment (example- ducks, geese; if you have no blinds, decoys or callers, you're out of luck). These comps are no good for a newbie with just a couple of basic weapons.
  • On that same note, I'd love to see the sales on competition equipment in lowered $gms prices and not just lowered $ems. Not all newbies want to spend their real life money on something they're just starting out with, but when they see that they can play and earn in-game money that can buy items "on sale", it's a mental boost that you're not out for just their 'real life' money, so they'll play more and 'get hooked' harder! ;)
  • On a similar note, I remember playing in a few competitions that awarded gear for accomplishing a task... but I haven't seen any of those lately?
  • One of my frustrations (in the forum photo competitions only) is discovering that a lot of others (through prior membership?) have access to various 'trophy poses' that actually have to be purchased. I started playing when you could still buy a membership that gave you more "things" than a guest hunter, besides being able to also hunt more than the '3 extra animals on rotation'... but I don't recall what all those "things" were. I might be wrong about the trophy shots being one of them?
I've been playing for around two years, and REALLY enjoy my time here. I've even been able to win a few trophies! :D What impresses me most is that it is just about impossible for me to open my 'real life' wallet for anything as trivial as "just 'fun' for myself". So far, I've done that TWICE already, and I haven't ruled out doing it again! This might not sound like a big deal to others, but to those that really know me, it's a shock! :lol: :lol:

I've seen that @BCKidd has made/done a lot of competitions; I'd love to see his input here on what his experiences have been...
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

CAMuleyMan
Tracker

Post by CAMuleyMan »

I'd like the weekly best trophyshot competitions to be back, those were always fun.
Yeah, I'm that guy that hunts mule deer :D
muledeer
Hunter

Post by muledeer »

Greetings from Germany.

We all have different player types here.

I've been a pure missions hunter since switching to f2p.

Of course, I also take on a few competitions as far as my equipment allows and I feel like it.

in the old events there were always several things to do.

collecting tasks, competition and a missions pack for everyone to do easily. plus trophies for all participants.

What I wished for as an official competition is a combination of these things.

And the return of the trophyshot/rare of the week competition

the question for you developers is who do you want to reach. the long-term player, the beginner or just all players?

stay alive and well
Dmitri
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Dmitri »

please note that there is no any single chance to make everyone happy - some people enjoy long shot comps, some want to spend 3 days and grind as many animals as they can, some want to find the biggest (weight or score) animal but other say it is more about luck rather than skills.
our goal is to make as many different options as possible. if you think that this particular competition is not for you, just wait another week, probably this one will be your favorite, so you can participate and win. simple like that :)
re trophyshot competitions - these are still in action and each weekend competition has appropriate "Best trophyshot" post on the forum. unfortunately, most people use it not to post the trophyshot but to complain "this competition is not for me, I won't participate it for % reason".
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

splainin2do wrote:I've seen that @BCKidd has made/done a lot of competitions; I'd love to see his input here on what his experiences have been...
That almost seems like a dare. So I'll add my .2 cents- give or take.

.1 cent) Instead of 'the first animal harvested' type of comps, why not one where it is the 'first animal or animals shot'- 3 or 4 animal species max per comp.
.2 cents) I'd like to see more comps along the line of 'Holy Cow' for all non-scoring female species; weight and harvest value scoring for the females shouldn't be to hard to implement.
.3 cents) More shot placement required comps, I think would be good.
.4 cents) I know those that have competed in hosted community comps loved :lol: the 1shot-1kill type comps. It'd be neat to see one or two like that.

:o I can't even come up with .5 cents worth of input. I will say this tho' the more realistic the comp the more equitable it is for all participants. ;) Respectfully,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
seifthehunt
Spotter

Post by seifthehunt »

SRV wrote:'' Normal '' comps , are so easy to create and they still can be fun and challenging .
Some examples :
- Lowest / scores combined scores ( we are not seeing them that much . Always high scoring / combined high scoring comps )
- Lowest females comps ( Again, not seeing any of them . Our female Reindeers are so nice and we don't even have comps for them )
- Any combo comps . Male + Female lets say . 2 species needed ( 1 WT + 1 BT i.e. )
- Smallest difference in score and weight of a species .
please way more people that way, with '' normal '' comps . And in my book, more happy people is the way to go.
I totally agree with SRV also what Deeem0n said is also true so i don't know! my opinion is just to keep rotating this week highest score the other one lowest score the other one combined scores the other long shots ...

ImageImageImage

Return to “Official Community Competitions”