Calibre Competition (New Voting Options)

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.

Which Calibre would you like 'The Scout' to come out in?

Poll ended at November 28th, 2018, 5:04 am

2%
26%
7mm-08
57%
15%

Total votes: 194
fantamichele
Outfitter

Re: Calibre Competition (New Voting Options)

Post by fantamichele »

Long live the .223 :D
MaxVe
Scout

Post by MaxVe »

Tod1d wrote:7mm-08 lighter grain (comparable to .243 or 6.5x55)
7mm-08 heavier grain (comparable to .30-30 or 7.62x54)
Help me the 30.30 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ...
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

cijTheHunter wrote:
SoftShoe wrote:
cijTheHunter wrote:I think you people will be very disappointed in the performance of the 7mm-08. It's going to be worse than the 308, so if you don't want something like that, choose a different caliber.
Please elucidate on the contrivance used to make that assertion.
As an avid gun enthusiast, I would be glad to.
A 7mm-08 is a necked down version of the 308, to the caliber of .280, more commonly known as 7mm. It shoot bullets in between the weights of a 243(55-115 grains) and a 308(110-220 grains). However, it would have a permitted species list very similar to the 308, which, because it has less power, would make it generally worse at the same jobs. If you have hunted with the 7x64 Sauer 404 that is currently in the game, it would be very similar to that. Low penetration and knock down power, and difficult to use (comparatively to a weapon like the current 7mm) on anything other than deer-sized game animals. With that being the case, I think there are many options currently in-game that would be better. However, there is nothing other than the 243 that can be used as a long-range varmint/small predator gun ,and double as a good medium range deer rifle.
Oh you are an enthusiast? Well then, I couldnt begin to compete with that level of knowledge :lol:

I would suggest that you read this whole tread, in it you will find a great deal more info & knowledge than you are extolling. I dare say you will learn a thing or two enthusiast or not.

If your supposition is based on game performance of the 308, all I can say is that the 308 in game is widely known to be under powered. While I am a pragmatist, I am hopeful that should the 7-08 be selected as the next caliber EW will get it right.

INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

I guess I am the only one, as no one has said a word about it, but...In the original poll the 7 mm was miles ahead of everything else before the 7mm-08 replaced it, and now it is not even a choice. How did the caliber with the most votes just get thrown out? How did the 308 even get into the poll?
Spoiler:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Voted for the .243 again in hope of a magazine.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

INTIMID883R wrote:I guess I am the only one, as no one has said a word about it, but...In the original poll the 7 mm was miles ahead of everything else before the 7mm-08 replaced it, and now it is not even a choice. How did the caliber with the most votes just get thrown out? How did the 308 even get into the poll?
Tod1d wrote:"The Steyr Scout is available in a choice of Black, Mud, Green and White, and it is available chambered in .223 Remington, .243 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington and .308 Winchester calibers." - https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/steyr-scout.html

Is the 7mm in the poll the 7mm WM that we currently have in the game, or a new 7mm-08 round?
Because the RL weapon is available in those calibers. ;)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Skedleif

Post by Skedleif »

Voted 7mm-08 again after the poll was reset. Because of the reason i stated previously; It's the only option that we don't already have weapons for.

I like the Fox-Red deer/Rocky mountatin elk idea. Would be great to be able to shoot foxes as a "target of opportunity" while toting a decent deer gun instead of having to bring an extra weapon just in case a fox shows up. While we're walking down that road, how about making an overhaul of the allowed species for some of the weapons? I've never heard of a country/state/province where hunting with rifles is legal, but there is a "maximum caliber" limit for some species. Minimum requirements on the other hand, are pretty much everywhere.
abslayer
Master Competitor

Post by abslayer »

Restarting the pole ??
Don't see how this was necessary unless you added new cal
Nockedup
Hunter

Post by Nockedup »

I voted for the .243
Current Season Stats
Spoiler:
Nockedup's Twitch Channel

"Difficult doesn't mean impossible. It simply means that you have to work hard" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

I will vote again for .243, if the .308 is not represented as should in game from what i have read, and the 7mm is not the same reliable 7mm we know in game, then i think a new .243 is the best deal, nice for foxes to middle game.

And TreeKiwi, please modify the thread title to specify there was a restart.
Hello again everyone,

I hope you all had a good weekend!
Thanks to Tod's feedback and suggestion, I have reset the poll! On reflection over the weekend, many of you are correct, it is the only way to go forward and have a fair poll. Even if some people do not come back and vote, at least the votes that do come in are 100% accurate. Another deciding factor, was that like I mentioned last week, the voting goes for another 3 weeks. This will give enough time for people to drift back in and notice the change in the poll.

Cheers all and thanks for the constructive feedback.

I have talked to Pat about the Ethical list for the 7mm-08 and we have a few options:

Go a lighter grain bullet and the list will be Fox => Red Deer.

Or go a heavier grain bullet and the list will be Coyote => Elk.

One other option I pitched, just to make it a little different, is that the lighter grain bullet could go, Fox - Rocky Mountain Elk, but not Roosevelt. Because of the weight and size difference, however I am worried this might be confusing for players and I can foresee a lot of "Why can I shoot one Elk, but not the other?" type of questions. However it would be a nice compromise for some players who have spotted the Fox-> Elk gap in rifles.

Cheers all,

TK
That explanation, clear as it, will probably get buried in the lot of answers and pages to come, and from the title the only modification to the survey is the one about changing the caliber of the 7mm. Probably many of those who voted wont notice the restart of the poll. ;)

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."

Return to “Official Community Competitions”