Calibre Competition (New Voting Options)

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.

Which Calibre would you like 'The Scout' to come out in?

Poll ended at November 28th, 2018, 5:04 am

2%
26%
7mm-08
57%
15%

Total votes: 194
Lindhe

Re: Calibre Competition (New Voting Options)

Post by Lindhe »

HooCairs wrote: On my cheat sheet the black bear has the same list as the two elk. All others bears are higher up.

So hopefully if elk was on the list for this 7mm-08, so should be black bear and also sambar deer. If not, I throw the towel for managing this cheat sheet... :D
You're right, looking at it that way black bear permissions are identical to elk.

I have a google sheet where I have organized all animals by their "family". instead of memorizing each individual animal I only have to memorize the fewer exceptions. :geek:

So I'm still voting for .308, if only for larger bear hunting.
Hunter Profile:
Spoiler:
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

HooCairs wrote:
So hopefully if elk was on the list for this 7mm-08, so should be black bear and also sambar deer. If not, I throw the towel for managing this cheat sheet... :D
Now thats a giggle for sure. Currently the 7mm Mag even struggles with Sambhur over 100 yrds. But the 30r is fine out to above 200 yrds. Go Figure.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

Oswald74 wrote:I'm hunting with the single shot .308 at the moment (to get 250 kills).

I can't say how much I "hate" that thing!

Feels like a airsoft pistol with gun sound emulator...

Example: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/oswa ... /625375975

Second was a headshot at 33meters, it did nothing..

So EW, please do an ballistic update to the .308

MfG L.E.
You are using the .308 rival handgun, you can not assume it will perform as well as the same round shot from a rifle. The much shorter barrel length has a serious influence on the penetration performance of the round due to shorter acceleration phase. I have not compared the .308 fired from a rifle and a pistol but assume that EW knows their stuff enough to implement the differences.
Code: Select all
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

nachthexe wrote:
Oswald74 wrote:I'm hunting with the single shot .308 at the moment (to get 250 kills).

I can't say how much I "hate" that thing!

Feels like a airsoft pistol with gun sound emulator...

Example: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/oswa ... /625375975

Second was a headshot at 33meters, it did nothing..

So EW, please do an ballistic update to the .308

MfG L.E.
You are using the .308 rival handgun, you can not assume it will perform as well as the same round shot from a rifle. The much shorter barrel length has a serious influence on the penetration performance of the round due to shorter acceleration phase. I have not compared the .308 fired from a rifle and a pistol but assume that EW knows their stuff enough to implement the differences.
EW didnt have a clue. The 308 rival came out wih the same ballistic as the rifle. It was only after it was made known to them by the membership that they dialed it back a little.
If your really keen you can search for it in the old game and status updates.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

nachthexe wrote:I have not compared the .308 fired from a rifle and a pistol but assume that EW knows their stuff enough to implement the differences.
Ballistic attributes are assigned to ammunition, not weapons. So the rounds perform the exact same whether shot from a rifle or a handgun.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

When the .308 handgun came out, it was only 8% less performant than the rifle. In July 2014 the grand ballistics overhaul brought the handgun's performance way down and made it unrecognizable compared to before. The handgun and the rifle should never have the same list of permitted species to shoot, but since these lists are attached to the ammo (only), they do have the same list.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

Uhm so CB and HCs contradict each other. But let us stop here I think this is not the correct spot to discuss that. But realism wise they should not perform equally.
Code: Select all
Oswald74
Outfitter

Post by Oswald74 »

nachthexe wrote:… I think this is not the correct spot to discuss that. ..
EW has made the .308 an option for the new rifle.

I think it's the best place to tell them that the majority will not vote for the .308 not because it's bad in reallife, but it's really, really bad ingame!

My choice would have been the .308 because bipod + powerful cartridge = winner.

Now I choose .243 because we have only bolt action rifles.

MfG L.E.

n00p

Post by n00p »

7mm is a good gauge for a folding bipod, considering the recoil.
greylaghunter
Scout

Post by greylaghunter »

the .308 would be an excellent weapon if it acted like a .308 should,i had maxed out my .77 break actin rifle so I took the .308 on a couple of hunts it was very weak in comparison so I gave up on it took the bullpup out and started taking down elk and bear again,my point is if the .308 was as it should be that would be a great addition

Return to “Official Community Competitions”