Valentine's Event 2018

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.
Griph
Spotter

Re: Valentine's Event 2018

Post by Griph »

You can assume what you like. I did read the OP completely. It states the Hunting Tower is won by completing the "Guns" mission pack, no part of which requires cupid arrows or any other purchase. Have you looked at the missions?

Earlier in the thread, you'll note at least one person has won the stand already.

So.....again, whether they've made part of it pay to win or not, no real loss if you don't pay, and don't win.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Griph wrote:You can assume what you like. I did read the OP completely. It states the Hunting Tower is won by completing the "Guns" mission pack, no part of which requires cupid arrows or any other purchase. Have you looked at the missions?

Earlier in the thread, you'll note at least one person has won the stand already.

So.....again, whether they've made part of it pay to win or not, no real loss if you don't pay, and don't win.
I have already gotten the tower. But that has nothing to do with it.

Note the rewards:

Rewards: the first three trophies, together with 12-, 6-, and 3-month memberships and a Valentine’s themed Hunting Backpack, will be awarded to the top three people on the main leaderboard. The hematite trophy and 700 em$ will be awarded to players who will end up on places 4 - 10 on the leaderboard. The wooden trophy will be awarded to everyone who has collected 250 heart$. Check out the progress bar on the event page by clicking on the top banner to learn more about conditions and rewards.

Again Pay to win. You can coat it any way you like.

Edit
I stand corrected you can also run around picking up roses on WRR instead of hunting in a hunting game. So there is a way to win without buying arrows.
Spoiler:
Griph
Spotter

Post by Griph »

The tower is something you can win, without paying anything. It has everything to do with the claim that this event is pay to win. It refutes the claim, at least in the case of the Tower, which everyone, not just the top three-ten people on the leaderboard, can win.

As for the main competition, the rewards go to people who top the leaderboard, which seems to me to require winning the daily competitions, and today's competition has no pay to win requirement. In fact, you can't win the event using arrows at all. Only one of the ways to get Heart$ involves buying something (the Cupid Arrows).

It may be the case that killing extra animals with Cupid Arrows may make the difference between winning or not. I guess we'll find out. But, again, only 10 people are going to get these prizes. If it doesn't seem worth buying some arrows to you to help boost your score, then don't.

Nobody is forcing you to participate in an event. And I would say that although you or others may not like that the devs build in a revenue stream in an event, it's not "pay to win" unless you can't win without paying.
Evik03

Post by Evik03 »

TreeKiwi wrote:
That is because it is not a link :D

But I can make it one for you and I will do it now.

Cheers

TK
Thanks! Became much better ;)
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Griph wrote:The tower is something you can win, without paying anything. It has everything to do with the claim that this event is pay to win. It refutes the claim, at least in the case of the Tower, which everyone, not just the top three-ten people on the leaderboard, can win.

The tower is a mission not a competition so you don't better anyone by achieving it.

As for the main competition, the rewards go to people who top the leaderboard, which seems to me to require winning the daily competitions, and today's competition has no pay to win requirement. In fact, you can't win the event using arrows at all. Only one of the ways to get Heart$ involves buying something (the Cupid Arrows).

Remember this statement at the end of the event. That is when I will revisit it with you.

Nobody is forcing you to participate in an event. And I would say that although you or others may not like that the devs build in a revenue stream in an event, it's not "pay to win" unless you can't win without paying.
There has always been a revenue built into these events and I have always supported them but having to buy a non-replenishable items is a bit much.

You can't win without buying cupid arrows

Pay to win
Spoiler:
Griph
Spotter

Post by Griph »

Dude. The missions are part of the event. The competition is part of the event. So, the event, as a whole, is not pay to win. You win the tower by completing the missions. The tower is a bigger prize than all but the top three prizes in the competition. Winning does not require bettering anyone, except in a competition.

If you want to argue the competition is pay to win, that’s one thing. And I guess we’ll see, won’t we. But the event, which is bigger than the competition part of it, which will only have 10 winners anyway, and only three significant winners, is not pay to win.

Getting a stand is a pretty good deal in my book, and I can win it without buying any dumb arrows.
Longmann
Scout

Post by Longmann »

Alright, let's spend 1000+ em$ to buy cupid arrows to potentially win 700 em$. Yay. :)
Seriously now: what's today's competition? Who can answer that would deserve some price. :D
Spoiler:
We pray our sights be straight and our aim be true,
We pray for no pain to the game we pursue.
We thank you, Lord, for this land,
We thank you for the sights from our stands.
We pray for safety one and all,
We pray we may return next fall.
dools24
Tracker

Post by dools24 »

Griph wrote:Dude. The missions are part of the event. The competition is part of the event. So, the event, as a whole, is not pay to win. You win the tower by completing the missions. The tower is a bigger prize than all but the top three prizes in the competition. Winning does not require bettering anyone, except in a competition.

If you want to argue the competition is pay to win, that’s one thing. And I guess we’ll see, won’t we. But the event, which is bigger than the competition part of it, which will only have 10 winners anyway, and only three significant winners, is not pay to win.

Getting a stand is a pretty good deal in my book, and I can win it without buying any dumb arrows.
We are talking about being able to compete in the main event and have any chance of placing not the missions or side comps going on, this event will be won on who has the most cupid arrows no other way.
So they have made it pay to win new low to make more of the players
Griph
Spotter

Post by Griph »

dools24 wrote: We are talking about being able to compete in the main event and have any chance of placing not the missions or side comps going on, this event will be won on who has the most cupid arrows no other way.
I'm pretty sure the thread is about the event as a whole. I suppose you can prioritize whatever part you want, but, again, only three people will really benefit from what you call "the main event." I prefer to focus on the part I actually benefit from: the missions, the sales, etc. You can win quite a bit of em$ in the daily competitions without buying anything.

Your claim that the competition will be won on who has the most cupid arrows is just a silly exaggeration. Some of you guys are just glass half full (or less) kind of guys, I guess.
Last edited by Griph on February 12th, 2018, 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Longmann wrote:Alright, let's spend 1000+ em$ to buy cupid arrows to potentially win 700 em$. Yay. :)
Seriously now: what's today's competition? Who can answer that would deserve some price. :D
Here is the first one:
https://www.thehunter.com/#competitions/details/60867
And here is the Second:
https://www.thehunter.com/#competitions/details/60868

I didn't want to wait until EW fixed the banner or for one of the competitors let anyone know.
Spoiler:

Return to “Official Community Competitions”