Trophy concept competition

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Re: Trophy concept competition

Post by Alena Rybik »

gas56 wrote:
Well there goes theHunters Crediblity. Your word is only as good as it stands up to be. Which right now is pretty low. When you said competition it didn't say how many would enter. But it did say by community voting. But then again you have the right to change rules even if their wrong. So take my Word I am taking the game off my computer. Because one thing I can't stand is to be lied too. In God we Trust
As it was stated in the rules, "After the deadline the team will evaluate submissions and post the ones that qualify in the forums. Winners will be chosen by the community voting". The art team evaluated the submissions and, according to their opinion, only one qualified, i.e. only one had the necessary characteristics for the team to work on it and bring it into the game. It doesn't mean that all other submissions were bad, but the art team always has the last word on new content and they are extremely meticulous and thorough when it comes to the look and feel of theHunter.

Taking into account that there was only one submission that qualified, community voting has lost its sense, so has the awarding of the 2nd and 3rd places. I can understand that you might feel frustrated, because you spent time on creating your concept, but accusation of lying is a wee bit too strong here. We'll make sure to write the rules even more clear in the future, to avoid misunderstandings, although it's hardly possible to specify all possible scenarios. Please bear in mind that EW (as any other company and any other creator of the competition) always reserve the right to change the rules of our official competitions, if we think that the change will be for the benefit of the game and community.
theGreyWolf wrote:I understand very well how you feel.
In the last community competition, I've spent a lot of hours to show my idea.
I didn't count them, but I'm sure, I've spent more than 60 hours.
Because I'm a worse drawer, especially drawing people is hard for me and I have no drawing program so I had to do it again and again AND I WAS SURE THAT I WILL NOT WIN!
I read the forums so I was absolutely sure, that the most player would like to see something like the ghillie suit in the game and I was sure, that someone will create one.
But I didn't care, because I wanted to show my idea and I thought "Maybe you can make the 2nd or 3rd place and maybe your idea will get into the game some day in the future."
Of course, it was a bit disappointing to get only the last place.
But it was ok. The other ones have been very good. A few really nice ideas and a few excellent paintings and I had a fair chance and could show my idea as it was promised before.
Your design took the last place in the community voting, which was the final stage. There were a dozen great designs that were not even picked by the art team to go through to the final, so I think your result is still something to be proud of.
theGreyWolf
Spotter

Post by theGreyWolf »

Alena Rybik wrote: Your design took the last place in the community voting, which was the final stage. There were a dozen great designs that were not even picked by the art team to go through to the final, so I think your result is still something to be proud of.
Thank you very much. I know this and I am a bit proud, that I could take this hurdle.
Or better to say, I'm still happy about it :-)
There have been a lot of excellent ideas which didn't make it into the voting as you have shown in the "honorable suggestions" - selection.

But even if my one wouldn't have been chosen for the voting, it would have been still ok for me, because I did my best and got a fair chance and it was clear, that not every suggestion will make it into the voting, if there are too much participants or technical problems with a outfit.

But no real "Competition" at all in the end, this would have been really disappointing and I would have been really sad about it.
That's why I understand very well, how the participants here might feel.

In my opinion the design team was too hard here.
It seems, that they already had a very clear idea how the new trophy should look, if they qualified only one suggestion.
I see no technical reasons, why the other ones should be impossible to do, or even more work.

Btw. I still hope that there will be more design competions in the future and that I will have the time to take part in them. But this time I have to say, that I'm lucky, I had not enough time.

Btw.2 Was wäre gewesen wenn und überhaupt.... Gott... Schon wieder halb vergessen wie umständlich es doch ist, daß auf Englisch auszudrücken :-D
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

Changing the rules in a running process is something that may have its well-founded reasons (as explained several times now by EW); however, it still leaves the feeling of a little uncomfortness, I must say. It is somehow as if a football match result is changed after end of the game because well-founded reasons (e.g. a proof by a video recording) has given new insights. There are better reasons why this is never done, however, even if a referee's decision during the game was definitely wrong. And this is good, because all participants, players, visitors and spectators, can simply TRUST that the given conditions are kept, under all circumstances. It is sort of a gentlemen's agreement, and has ist own , long-term value which may gain a higher weight on the long run than a well-justified short-term action based on a single case.

My chosen comparison (football) may not fit in every respect here, but I think the point is made. The fact that a first tH trophy competition in the community (which had a much higher participation rate)ended without any result (in fact for the very same reason, namely that the art team could not find a single creation that they said was compatible with their own high demand) makes this new situation even less fortunate. It was for sure one reason for the low participation in this second round, but now, I guess, this is completely burnt terrain in the future (even though we have now a winner and a model).

Given that the Art Team is able to create very interesting own trophies on occasion of many special events regularly meanwhile, I wonder why they wanted - and will now ever want again - to ask the community about their ideas, anyway. At least in case of trophies, this is probably not necessary any more - and probably also nothing the community will pick up as a challenge once more ever again.

My 2 cents. And, yes! - congrats to the winner ! :D
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

I think your art designers should rethink their decision, because of the entries posted and they chose a block of animals that has no inscription center or no place to put a reward like a weapon won or a paper note of $em shows me nothing impressing. If they incorporate it, it seems they should have made it themselves. I seen some pretty good trophies made that look far better than the one that won. No offense to the winner. Which the Art Team could have modified to reflect the hunters theme. I made my entry in 2 hours. Just a simple 3ds max model rendered. NO fancy writing or inscriptions. I just did it for fun. But what really pisses me off is all the people who put time in their prototypes and did not even get nothing for their time. I have to say I was born at night but not last night! So don't act like the innocent rules you made had not played out! I think they did not want a community vote because they are a little laxed and didn't want to see what all the community would vote on. Maybe it would be too hard for them to make or they took the easy way out. I don't really know but you pick the choice. Oh you can always say we reserve the right to change the rules but it all comes down to 1 thing only. Your dignity.

Definition = Dignity | Define Dignity at Dictionary.com
This is for if you don't know what it is
dictionary.reference.com/browse/dignity

dignity (ˈdɪɡnɪtɪ) —n, pl-ties: 1. a formal, stately, or grave bearing: 2. the state or quality of being worthy of honour:
Last edited by gas56 on June 28th, 2014, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul_Goselaar
Hunter

Post by Paul_Goselaar »

I agree with these last gentlemen opinions. The EW art design team should take a good look into their "mirror" before asking comunity for suggestions which, in the end, won't count.
JungleMantis
Spotter

Post by JungleMantis »

Alena Rybik wrote: We've decided not to award the second and third places in this competition, because the submitted concepts (with the exception of the winner) were quite equal in their level and we had a hard time picking two that would stand out.

Having said that, we want to thank all participants once again, we do appreciate your time and efforts!
This is really quite disheartening.
gunrangejohn
Outfitter

Post by gunrangejohn »

I did say awhile back i would post some of the trophy's i was going to do.here are 2
i made for whiteout comps. The 1st is a mule deer with alot of imperfections 3 worst muleys
deductions from the deer was your score
2nd was add it up ibex your best score+ range+weight.this one i would love to see for the
hunter ibex comp Top ibex im sure the art department can put there own spin on it. 1 coin gone :lol:
let me know what you think.Thanks Guys.
Last edited by gunrangejohn on December 7th, 2014, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

I like both of your trophies very much, John, great work!
I wish we had more trophies in the game!
gunrangejohn
Outfitter

Post by gunrangejohn »

Thanks Steve :)
theGreyWolf
Spotter

Post by theGreyWolf »

1,5 year ago and NOTHING happend. Was this competition just a bad joke? Is EW not interested in doing something which don't bring them cash?
Or does someone really believe, that it's such a difficult thing, to add a new trophie?
The new Outfit (which brought them fresh $$$... ) was in store just a couple of weeks after the competion.
My condolence to all the player who took part in this competion and invested a lot of time and work at it. EW was clearly never really interessted in your ideas.

Return to “Official Community Competitions”