Happy Holidays 2023

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.
Oswald74
Outfitter

Re: Happy Holidays 2023

Post by Oswald74 »

Very strange with the reindeer this time.

I find "herds" of grouse but very few reindeer.

Got only one "rudolf" and no mythical female.

Getting a bit boring..

MfG L.E. Image

InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Oswald74 wrote:Very strange with the reindeer this time.

I find "herds" of grouse but very few reindeer.

Got only one "rudolf" and no mythical female.

Getting a bit boring..

MfG L.E. Image
It seems like luck in this game is not evenly distributed from what I've observed over time and judging from the harvests of other players. For a while there I didn't understand it myself until I began to understand randomness within this game isn't that unlike randomness in other games of randomness.

I'm guilty myself of assuming other players luck was somhow hacked. I was probably wrong in that assumption.

I'm not saying this is you, some people seem to think certain areas of the map are particularly 'lucky', or that the game is somehow rigged when their luck changes. I'm not so sure about that. Randomness is not evenly distributed in any game of randomness. Randomness clusters and it changes over time. One player gets a streak of luck in some area of the game at one time, for another the luck is different. It all evens out over time.
Oswald74
Outfitter

Post by Oswald74 »

TheHunter Classic has very strange game mechanics.

You can hunt a species for years and know every "behavior" but as soon as you activate a mission releated to that species, you "feel" the change in the game mechanics.

I hunted for a longer time only with bow/crossbow and no firearm in my inventory. I could get very close to the animals without spooking them and shoot them with an arrow/bolt.

Then I put a firearm in my inventory (because of a special mission) and the spooking distance changed noticeable.

No problem at all, just a little boring from time to time.

MfG L.E. ;)

InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Oswald74 wrote:TheHunter Classic has very strange game mechanics.

You can hunt a species for years and know every "behavior" but as soon as you activate a mission releated to that species, you "feel" the change in the game mechanics.

I hunted for a longer time only with bow/crossbow and no firearm in my inventory. I could get very close to the animals without spooking them and shoot them with an arrow/bolt.

Then I put a firearm in my inventory (because of a special mission) and the spooking distance changed noticeable.

No problem at all, just a little boring from time to time.

MfG L.E. ;)
Yah I've noticed many strange things myself in this game. There's no doubt that strange things happen in The Hunter. I try not to obsess too much about things like that because I understand that even in simple games of chance, randomness does behave in strange ways. In the short term, you will see behavior that looks unnatural or extreme deviations from the mean. We all experience streaks of luck and down turns of luck.

Some players get lucky "steaks" to where they harvest several "rare" animals at one time or another. Other players experience dead sessions or unlucky sessions.

I've seen other weird things like animals not dying when they should have. The other day, I took a hasty shot from below the belt at a (f) brown bear. She was fleeing. I got a bad shot on the bear and didn't think I had a chance of killing the bear without a follow up shot. Then I discovered the bear had only fled a short distance and dropped. I had only hit that bear in the tail bone. No organs or vitals hit. How did I drop her, and drop her quickly, with only hitting the tail bone? The ammo used was .30R.

The game isn't always consistent all the time, and doesn't always make sense. I shrug it off and chalk it up as, "that's part of the adventures in Hunter Classic".

Remember, in any game of chance you will see streaks of luck. Random behavior clusters. Over the long term, as I said, it evens out.

That said, sometimes I still wonder if there are variables in this games mechanics that are not clear to us players that maybe only the devs know?
AdirHunter

Post by AdirHunter »

Bort wrote:
AdirHunter wrote:does that cat answer to any calls?
Yes. There's a Lynx Add-on for the Shockwave ("e-caller"), a Scent Spray that attract's them, the Jackrabbit Predator Caller has a chance of attracting them, and the Motion Predator Decoys have a chance of distracting them to and keep them in a specific area next to the decoy. There are 2 versions of the Motion Decoys. I only linked one of them. They both work the same they're only different cosmetically.

The blue text is/are links to those items in the Store. We must be logged in to our hunter account to view the store pages.

In 20 games I've harvested 17 Lynx from the spot in the green circle.

The coordinates in the image above are the exact coordinates of where I have the tree stand. I was sitting in it when I took the screenshot those coordinates are from.

Tips:

Use all 3 attractants. Bare in mind that the Jackrabbit caller and Motion Decoys also work extremely well attracting fox. If you setup a tent, tree stand, decoy, and e-caller in the spot I've shared above you will frequently see and harvest Reindeer, Fox, lynx, Brown Bear, and Roe Deer there. You'll also occasionally be able to harvest Wood Grouse there. I have not seen or gotten any Ptarmigan from that stand.

Use archery weapons (specifically the Snakebite or Heavy Recurve bow or a Crossbow Pistol) recommended. If you use a gun you'll spook anything else that may be coming in. I've made piles of bodies there with archery weapons.

Don't start the game at the stand!!!
Start at the lodge and fast travel to the tent. Sometimes you'll have a Lynx or some other call immediately when you land there from Fast Traveling. Other times that area will be pretty dead. Spawns and animal frequency is RNG (Random Number Generated) if you didn't know. Sometimes the RNG gods bless us with tons of animals, sometimes there's little to no activity.

No activity? Spawn mash it: Start a new game repeatedly, spend 10 to 20 minutes at the stand and if there isn't any activity in that time restart a new session until there is activity. In games where it's fairly quiet it may be pretty boring for an hour or so real time until a Lynx comes in. Give it time, be patient. Patience usually pays well when hunting.

Lynx are sneaky. Keep your eyes open. I almost never see Lynx with my own eyes which may be my eyesight quality and/or the fact that I sit 10 feet (3 meters) away from a 70" or 40" screen (depends what room I'm in). I get spotting info on them before I see them with my eyes most of the time.

Don't collect the dead right away. They're not going anywhere. If you hop out of the stand and walk or run around collecting you'll spook animals that are coming in you may not have seen. It's too late when you hear animals run off.

Don't chase after shot animals that didn't drop immediately. As advised above if you take off running after animals that didn't drop when you shot them right away the noise you make chasing after them makes them go further away and it spooks other animals that might be nearby. Give it 20+ minutes (real time) then go after them or crouch walk slowly behind them. All animals will calm down and start slowly walking and stopping periodically 150 meters (depends on the species) or less after they spook.

If you take off running after it right away you may be chasing and tracking it across the entire map. If you apply some patience and wait for it to calm down and die the body might only be 200m away.

Happy Hunting![/q

Thanks for the tips Bort, I have taken several Lynx, 3 at one setting, but no Yule Cat yet, and I'm still working on takin the female Mythical Reindeer, I did take a male Mythical Reindeer, and I have all 30 of the reindeer harvested. I have sim hunted Hemmeldal many times before, and it seems to me I'm seeing less Reindeer during this event then I have in the past, and their tracks disappear now and then as I'm tracking them, of course I'm an Oleman so that could be the problem :lol: but still I'm having fun, now that RL hunting is over till Spring Turkey, this kind of fills that void even though it's just a game, but the Honey Do List is growing while I'm sim hunting :o When he can my grandson and I play multiplayer, they grow up to fast. Thank you again for the tips!
Been there done that, have the scars and the MRI to prove it!
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

calamar2000 wrote:https://photo.thehunter.com/6b/15/6b15c ... 77717f.jpg
my dog laughs my cat sulks! hehe! :D :lol:
That is so cool! I want one! :)
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

Not a bad thing to find after finishing the mission set.

Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

Beautiful trophy for the Holiday Event!!! :D
Congratulations trulight! 8-)
Spoiler:
Bort
Scout

Post by Bort »

AdirHunter wrote: Thanks for the tips Bort, I have taken several Lynx, 3 at one setting, but no Yule Cat yet, and I'm still working on takin the female Mythical Reindeer, I did take a male Mythical Reindeer, and I have all 30 of the reindeer harvested. I have sim hunted Hemmeldal many times before, and it seems to me I'm seeing less Reindeer during this event then I have in the past, and their tracks disappear now and then as I'm tracking them, of course I'm an Oleman so that could be the problem :lol: but still I'm having fun, now that RL hunting is over till Spring Turkey, this kind of fills that void even though it's just a game, but the Honey Do List is growing while I'm sim hunting :o When he can my grandson and I play multiplayer, they grow up to fast. Thank you again for the tips!
Glad to share! Tracks disappearing are from new tracks being made. The game only retains so many tracks. When whatever the limit is is reached and new tracks are made the oldest tracks disappear to conserve game memory preventing lag. At least that's my understanding of why that happens and how it works.

Return to “Official Community Competitions”