Etiquette guide for hosts

Invitations to hunts and discussions of Multiplayer related issues
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Etiquette guide for hosts

Post by XxStrong1xX »

I know there is a guide for new players in this forum, but I feel the need for one for hosts as well. I have been playing this game off and on since 2010, but had never tried MP(Multiplayer) until a couple of months ago. I met a lady on here and we decided to play together as a way to spend time together since we live in different countries. We have had some wonderful experiences with some fantastic hosts. But, unfortunately this is the exception and not the rule.

I know 99% of the people who need to see this never will, but maybe if it is out there it will help someone become a better host/player. All these suggestions apply to open MP games. What you do in private games is your business. We try to be respectful to the host when we join a game but there should be some reciprocity and mutual respect from the host as well.

First a few rants/observations:

1. Why start a multiplayer game if you're only going to log off in 10 minutes? I know emergencies come up, but don't start a game unless you're able to dedicate at least an hour to it.

2. Why start a MP game when you want to play alone and not be bothered?

3. Don't use a MP game just to setup new equipment. Can't tell you how many times I've joined a game just to have the host tell me they are shutting down in a few minutes because they were just placing stuff. This is what single player mode is for.

4. People from all over the world play this game. If you're going to host an open game at least have basic skills in English. It is pretty much the universal language in the world today.

5. If you're a bad person or just want to be a jerk, don't host a MP game just to mess with people.

Here are my guides/suggestions for hosts:

1.Be respectful! Follow the golden rule. People from all cultures play this game, but most everywhere in the civilized world teaches the basic tenants of respect.

2. Give a warning before quitting a game. Can't tell you how many times we have been a few feet from claiming a nice animal only to have the host quit the game. You're just causing more work for poor Doc. :)

3. If you only want to play with people from your own country, put it in the description. Got kicked yesterday because I wasn't a Czech.

4. Don't get mad at people for using your setups. If you don't want them used, remove them or ask that they not be used.

5. Don't kick someone for no reason, but by all means please kick disruptive players who are harassing others or causing trouble. Also if you warn someone and they apologize leave them be, don't kick them just for spite.( unless they continue to do something they shouldn't)

6. I would suggest no one under 18 hosting a game. Most children just don't have the mental maturity to be good responsible hosts.

7. Being friendly is fine, but don't talk continuously. Also, I'm visiting your game, not your home. You don't have to know my location and what I'm doing every 5 minutes.

8. Don't host a game while intoxicated or high. What you do in private is none of my business, but it is hard to be a good host when impaired.

9. Unless you have a high end gaming rig with fast internet don't host a 8 player game. It's just going to be a laggy/bad experience for all.

Now a few guidelines for all players:

1. Show respect! Especially toward the ladies. Not many women play MP and I can see why. You wouldn't believe how vulgar and crude some guys are towards my lady. These "little boys" probably can't talk to a woman in real life but they get brave online.

2. Ask before joining other hunters. Also don't ask my girl to leave me and hunt with you. If you see a man and woman hunting together they are probably a couple. Respect them and don't try hitting on the person. This is not a dating game.

3. Conversation is fine. But don't overdo it. My lady and I are usually chatting privately when in game. We try to chat with other players but multiple conversations are hard to maintain. Also for those of you who hunt in real life you know talking is just a distraction at times.

4. Even if the 500m rule isn't stated it should always be implied. Don't "steal" other players animals/stands when they are there before you.

5. Don't point your gun at other players! This isn't a MMOFPS. Also don't run around like a fool harassing other players. Or shooting for no reason.

This is getting long so I will stop here. Please feel free to comment/add to these suggestions. Thank you for reading this. Also a special thank you to all the good hosts I have had the pleasure of playing with. You make the game much more enjoyable for us. Let's all treat each other with respect, remember that while it is a good simulation, this is still just a game and we all just want to have fun. Enjoy!!!! :D

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Re: Etiquette guide for hosts

Post by rhapsodaisical »

Hey Strong1,

I agree that a little etiquette might be in place. But always mind yourself that you are joining someone else game and that comes with its own set of rules per definition.

Seems you have had some trouble it seems. Have you considered a membership to host yourself? As it seems most issues can be avoided that way.

But here's my two Em$,

I've seen you join my server a few times with your partner. You two tend to trek on your own as well but if you join again just tell me what you guys like to do, so I can facilitate any setups or tracks (with callers if you are missing some) just request them. Pop me a friend invite for joining my none-public server as well.

Sometimes when I host and you guys join I'm already online for a while. Given that you are from the States and I am in Europe there is a minimum difference of six hours. You see what servers you join by their flags so keep that in might if you wish to play multiplayer for a few hours as your dinner time is Europe bedtime. At some point the host is bound to shut off earlier than you. As you might remember I always call out minutes before I intend to log off and yes, this should actually be made a rule where possible. I even stay on longer if one of my guys is still tracking.

But as one joins a server, as a visitor, I find it a bit odd to expect the host to:
- be an 18+ English speaking host per definition, but when they do, they should talk too much as well. (there is a large player base in German, Russian and other languages and English is not as common as you might think)
- to not drink or use (whatever) I work hard and when home and able to get me a pint, then I will. I think that counts for most of us. If that results in silly banter than hey-ho its the hosts server.
- given that some setup hold limited places like a blind it can be annoying when time and time again you can't use your own setup because all level 0's join in and shoot ducks with .243 constantly. After advising them several times and still not changing weapons or making space that results in a kick or ban. Forgive me, or anyone, to kick the very next one joining and pointing a .243 on a mallard that didn' t break yet. (which often results in my pointing my weapon at them and wishing the Human-License came in to play, haha)

As a golden rule, they are playing a game themselves and the choice to join is ours. If I join a party and I don't like the music, food and people, I go somewhere else.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Hi Rhapsodaisical,

I remember hunting with you and you are a good host. I have had some bad experiences though and that is why I posted this. I've sent you a friend request so maybe we can play together again soon. My partner and I are about to get a membership so like you say most of this will be mute for us soon but I was hoping to help others. I usually play on European servers because my girl is from Slovakia. So I am well aware of the time difference. I completely understand someone needing to go to bed. I was just complaining about people that start a game then end it 5 or 10 minutes later without warning. As far as being 18+ you must not have played with many of the children on here that host games. lol Not speaking English I can understand. I speak a few words of several languages and with my partner being Slovakian she can understand most of the Slavak languages enough to get by. I am perfectly fine with anyone having a pint after work. I was talking about players who are in a drunken stupor or high as a kite and being unable to maintain control of their game. I completely agree with kicking players who do stupid stuff and don't blame you one bit for that. I also fully agree that it is your game and in the end you can do what you like as well as I have the right to leave at anytime if I don't like what is going on.

I just feel more people would play MP and it would be more enjoyable for all if there were some guidelines of sorts. We had an excellent time tonight playing with a very generous host and a great group of guys. it makes the game so much more enjoyable for everyone. Thank you for replying to my post and I look forward to playing with you again. :)

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Post by rhapsodaisical »

In my experience, by hosts and guests joining, there are generally two types of people.

One are the Ethical, Intelligent players that either hunt and stalk or open their server as new introducees can try it. Much like how EW tends to portait the game.

On the flipside there are the F2P Apes that aim their gun at literally anything that moves while running in any random direction screaming for COD Deer to teabag. These are often recognised by their low foreheads, slumbed backs and the communications skills limited to "Ugh's" and "Ogg's" and very hairy arms with knuckles to the ground. (I know because I shot one on accident thinking it was a rare black bear!) God forbid them having a membership and hosting themselves!!

I did however encounter a couple of really cool kids that hunted like an adult. I don't it was a coincidence they were both Dutch! (no, kidding, the Dutch are generally the most terrible of gamers!) It's more the character than the age. I tried the EW Discord servers too once, this one time I had a guy join for the first time playing, and yes, he was stoned of his ****, as every time I used the deer caller I heared a very smokey "Uhh huhuh huhuhuh *snort* uhhh huhuh" /BeavisandButtheadlaugh and send him off tracking pheasant tracks under a rainbow in Hirschfelden...

But I fully understand that you choose a mid-euro server to keep the ping reasonable to the both of you.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

You're response is spot on! You also had me laughing hard while reading it because it is so true. As for the kids I agree, I have played with several who were excellent hunters as well, I was just generalizing even though that's something I usually try not to do. Also surprisingly some of the better hosts I have come across are newer players and without naming names I have seen some very high hunter score hosts who were terrible.

I have great admiration for experienced members who open their game to new players and help teach them the right way to play. I always enjoy teaching myself. Hopefully when I get my membership soon I will be able to help out some new players who want to play this game the right way.

stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

:arrow: XxStrong1xX..

This is just my opinion. Take it for what you will. ;)

1. To play this game as a guest, and then try to make the rules, is the height of cheeky, as they say in the UK.
2. One of the two of you, buy a membership, and then you can host yourselves, put a lock on the door, and never have to worry about anything from anyone else. :roll:

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

1. why whine about it, just make a game yourself in the hour it took you to write this
2. because there are alot of **** heads that cant keep their finger away from the run toggle, maybe consider the generosity of them allowing you to use the equipment they have paid for and are not using at that point in time
3.many people have a habit of just starting a mp game, no need to be angry.
4. this seems kind of one sided, and though i agree it may be pointless to join a mp game when you cant communicate, you can still be polite.

B

1. as long as they speak your language :roll:
2. agree
3. maybe they wanted to speak in czech, that english only issue is a two lane road.
4. their stuff, their rules, dont like it, dont join.

6. apparently all should suffer for the actions of some spoiled brats. (im under 18,and i know all to well that many of those in my age bracket are ignorant, disrespectful, entitled pansies, but there are also some good kids on here)
7. sorry for wanting to converse, though i must agree there is a fine line between hey "how ya doin", and "where do ya live?"
stancomputerhunter wrote::arrow: XxStrong1xX..

1. To play this game as a guest, and then try to make the rules, is the height of cheeky, as they say in the UK.
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:
Elrique64
Spotter

Post by Elrique64 »

When I host sessions I also put rules in the description block. For WRR those rules are:

Code: Select all

== English speakers ONLY ==
1) Ethical Weapons only.
2) 500M rule.
3) Listen to the mod.
4) If I want to hunt with you I'll ask you!
5) Be polite! 
6) Cold Weather clothing REQUIRED!

Violators get kicked! Repeat and get BANNED!
And for other reserves they are:

Code: Select all

== English speakers ONLY ==
1) Ethical Weapons only.
2) 500M rule.
3) Listen to the mod.
4) If I want to hunt with you I'll ask you!
5) Be polite! 
6) BOWS ONLY! in the TS and towers near the tent on N island!  (Whiteheart only)

Violators get kicked! Repeat and get BANNED!
English speaking/reading/writing is a REQUIREMENT on my sessions, period. If I can't understand what you are asking, or you can't understand what I or others are saying, you are wasting everyone's time. Don't join a game I host and first thing out of your mouth is "No English" because that's only going to end one way...

Most of the time I get a bunch of newbies joining that haven't read those rules, then get upset when I warn them, then kick them for violating either #1 or #2. This usually leads to a violation of #3 or #5, and guess what... BANNED! Too many tick marks on the negative side of the score card, and I'm just not going to deal with it...

#4 seems to be one that has caused considerable issue in the past. I hunt RL. And that has shown me that hunting is generally a solo endeavor. As soon as you add in another player, one that might not have the camo or know how to move, and suddenly there are no animals around to shoot.... Don't get me wrong. I'm willing to help teach new players how to play the game, but not at the expense of my own gaming experience. Many times I log into an MP game with certain goals in mind. And taking a lot of time out of my own hunting to hold the hands of some new player is going to detract a lot from finishing my own goals. If I can help new players, I will, but I'm not going to follow demands they make of joining up with them to call in a big whatever for them to shoot.... I'm also after that big whatever....

You have no idea how many times I have had players join a session I host, who think my only task in the game is to help them get a trophy. If that were the case, I would offer my services as a guide, and not for free, either... My own money paid for the stands, calls and weapons I use, not theirs. Yet they think it's my sole responsibility to make sure they have something from a session. It's not! My only responsibility to those who have joined a session is to provide them with a place to hunt, with people that follow the rules of fair chase, and are maximizing the potential of the session.

When new player joins any game I host, I always say "G'Day!" and then ask them what they are hunting for. If that animal is in the reserve, and they are really new players, I give them insight where the animals can be found. I also give them tips, such as moving crouched with HM in hand, stopping to look/listen, carrying a set of Binoculars (the single most important tool any hunter can carry, right up there with a gun and ammo.) Get every track they come across, to build tracking skills, don't shoot unless prone and holding your breath, and only after you have the spotting window for that animal show up. (Spotting skills are important!)

Anyway, that's enough of my mindset when I host a game... If you can't follow the rules I have, join someone else's game, simple as that.
Our freedoms have been bought by the blood of our Veterans. Pay them back with love, kindness and support.

XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Elrique64,

I find your rules very reasonable. I am an experienced player and a former real life hunter. I am not looking for someone to teach me or hold my hand. Just a nice place where my lady and I can enjoy a game without having to worry about it ending right before we can claim a nice animal or being harassed. I always follow any rules the host has as well as the suggestions that I made. Thanks for your input!

RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Well I don't have any problems when I host a game. My solution is a simple one and it dose not involve a password.
When I create the hunt I select members only and only players from my friends list. No one else can even join. Unless I post something in here for players that might want to join then I use a password.
Spoiler:

Return to “Multiplayer”