PRE RELEASE LIVESTREAM - New reserve

Broadcast live hunts, want to watch a live broadcast, have question about how to broadcast, this is where you can post it.
drakle
Hunter

Re: PRE RELEASE LIVESTREAM - New reserve

Post by drakle »

A bit skeptical about the new water system as well...

The wetland area is similar to Rougarou, but I can live with it. All that's missing from the reserve are saltwater crocodiles.

Steam Username: ColdBloodCroc™
kahuamp
Scout

Post by kahuamp »

I missed the stream because of work.

Can anyone tell me about Hydration? How does it work?
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

kahuamp wrote:I missed the stream because of work.

Can anyone tell me about Hydration? How does it work?
My understanding was that it is designed to be the opposite of WRR. Instead of freezing, you can overheat on this map. They give you a free water bottle that has three uses per hunt (replenishes each hunt, like ammo). You get hot over time, and you must use the water bottle to cool yourself off. Rain (which seems to happen often on this map) can also cool you off, and they discussed in the stream the possibility of making it so walking through flowing water can cool you off. I think they also mentioned running more can cause you to overheat a bit faster? It took about one hour of playing real-time, for them to notice the first effect of overheating (very slow compared to freezing on WRR), which was a slight ripple effect on the outer edges of the screen. They mentioned this feature could still change but with the way they played in the stream, one could probably hunt roughly 4 hours real-time on the given water in a single hunt. Give or take because of running or rainy weather. I assume they're still figuring out all the little details with it and it could still change, but that's the gist of what I got from it. The biggest complaints were the cost (which they made clear the bottle and first three uses were free, extra uses in a single hunt could possibly cost?) and whether it took up backpack space or not (they didn't say, but I assume it does).
kahuamp
Scout

Post by kahuamp »

xOEDragonx wrote:
My understanding was that it is designed to be the opposite of WRR. Instead of freezing, you can overheat on this map. They give you a free water bottle that has three uses per hunt (replenishes each hunt, like ammo). You get hot over time, and you must use the water bottle to cool yourself off. Rain (which seems to happen often on this map) can also cool you off, and they discussed in the stream the possibility of making it so walking through flowing water can cool you off. I think they also mentioned running more can cause you to overheat a bit faster? It took about one hour of playing real-time, for them to notice the first effect of overheating, which was a slight ripple effect on the outer edges of the screen. They mentioned this feature could still change but with the way they played in the stream, one could probably hunt roughly 4 hours real-time on the given water. Give or take because of running or rainy weather. I assume they're still figuring out all the little details with it and it could still change, but that's the gist of what I got from it. The biggest complaints were the cost (which they made clear the bottle and first three uses were free, extra uses in a single hunt could possibly cost?) and whether it took up backpack space or not (they didn't say, but I assume it does).
Thanks for answering, I still have one more question: does the map have moving water? or just those static makeshift streams like in RFF?
atc86
Tracker

Post by atc86 »

kahuamp wrote:
xOEDragonx wrote:
My understanding was that it is designed to be the opposite of WRR. Instead of freezing, you can overheat on this map. They give you a free water bottle that has three uses per hunt (replenishes each hunt, like ammo). You get hot over time, and you must use the water bottle to cool yourself off. Rain (which seems to happen often on this map) can also cool you off, and they discussed in the stream the possibility of making it so walking through flowing water can cool you off. I think they also mentioned running more can cause you to overheat a bit faster? It took about one hour of playing real-time, for them to notice the first effect of overheating, which was a slight ripple effect on the outer edges of the screen. They mentioned this feature could still change but with the way they played in the stream, one could probably hunt roughly 4 hours real-time on the given water. Give or take because of running or rainy weather. I assume they're still figuring out all the little details with it and it could still change, but that's the gist of what I got from it. The biggest complaints were the cost (which they made clear the bottle and first three uses were free, extra uses in a single hunt could possibly cost?) and whether it took up backpack space or not (they didn't say, but I assume it does).
Thanks for answering, I still have one more question: does the map have moving water? or just those static makeshift streams like in RFF?

Yes the map had running water. It's just a visual effect though and doesn't push the player with the current. From what I seen it looked like the water was moving a bit fast though, hopefully they slow the speed of it down to make it more realistic.
Stoops417

Post by Stoops417 »

I really enjoyed the early look at the new reserve. As for the Warm Weather Gameplay (Water bottles and overheating) I'm very happy to see additional game mechanics being added to this new reserve. The way it is implemented at this point does not appear to be intrusive or detrimental to normal gameplay, it simply adds another layer of gameplay for the player to work with. I'm excited to get our hands on it, and I personally hope that the Warm Weather Gameplay gets added to Bushranger's Run as it would make sense from a gameplay perspective to have the same element to contend with in such a hot, arid environment.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

A part of the stream. :)

My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Epona142
Scout

Post by Epona142 »

nevermind... :?
Last edited by Epona142 on December 7th, 2017, 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

I really don't get everyone's problem with the hot weather mechanics. Its put into the game for immersion and realism. Its there so you know you are hunting in a hot area, but the mechanics don't stop you from hunting.

Here's some things to ask yourself, do you mind taking a second to put scent eliminator on? You have to do that more often than use a water bottle, which is about the same animation time.

Do you complain about other realism mechanics in the game? Fall damage, charging animals? This is supposed to be the most realistic hunting game on the market and we will keep trying to reach that benchmark.
Its really not a big deal and I would wait until you try it yourself, you saw us run around there for over an hour and I couldn't even make my character fall over from the heat. If you hunt smart in this game and apply this to the new map, you probably wont need to use much water at all.

On another note, I am so sorry for the delay. FYI that was the same machine that I streamed on the night before (With no issues), I started getting everything ready at 3:15 today and from that moment on it took an hour to get the stream up. Nothing to do with the game, just a combination of hardware and software problems that we cant figure out why they didn't want to work... I think Murphy's Law (Nothing to do with Graham :p ) was hard at work.

As for the weather, its actually not what I would class as a 'rainy map'. We got the game started and as we were so late, I didn't want to try reload the map again. So we just went with it and it happened to be a rainy day, like you can get on any map (except BRR). I do love that lightening and I was happy I could show you that, but on a sunny day, man this map is amazing. Like I pointed out the map is so huge and there are plenty more surprises for you all to find.

Cheers all

TK
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

TreeKiwi wrote:I really don't get everyone's problem with the hot weather mechanics. Its put into the game for immersion and realism. Its there so you know you are hunting in a hot area, but the mechanics don't stop you from hunting.

Cheers all

TK
I had asked this question 3 times during the stream. Will the water bottle take up inventory space in our backpack. If this is something that you can not answer please just say that.
Spoiler:

Return to “Live Broadcasting”