Brown Bear Tracks Dissapearing On Hemmeldal

This forum is for reporting bugs or glitches found involving the animals. Please use the animals species name in the topic title with description, titles with only "found a bug", "bug" and alike will be deleted.
Example title: Bear tracks disappear
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Brown Bear Tracks Dissapearing On Hemmeldal

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Today I was hunting brown bear on Hemmeldal at my bear feeder, pictured below, near Grimmaldr's Sten. This was to be my last animal needed to complete the last Hemmeldal travel mission. I shot two bears with a slug. Bear #1 I had to track down. When I arrived at the site of where the bear was shot there were no tracks or blood. Then I followed the direction of where the bear was fleeing and spotted the tracks. As I drew near the tracks they dissapeared in front of me. Other animal tracks remained but just the bear tracks dissappeared. I gave up on that bear because I couldn't track it. Then I went back to my tree stand next to the feeder to wait for my next bear. Bear #2 I shot again with a slug and had to track down. Again I didn't find the tracks or blood where they should be. I followed the direction I saw the bear flee. I did find one track with some blood and ID'd it. As I continued to follow the path of the tracks I struggled to see bear tracks. Other animal tracks were around the area. Finally I found the bear tracks again. This time I looked at the tracks and saw them dissappear in front of my eyes leaving no doubt that the tracks were indeed dissappearing. I again gave up on that bear and the ended the hunt frustrated.

I'm now going to start a new hunt to complete the mission. This time I'm bringing out the big guns so I don't have to track down my last bear for this mission.
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Re: Brown Bear Tracks Dissapearing On Hemmeldal

Post by Dr_ViEr »

I have had the same problem there twice. In my case it were reindeer tracks which disappeared right in front of me directly after the shot
Spoiler:
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:Today I was hunting brown bear on Hemmeldal at my bear feeder, pictured below, near Grimmaldr's Sten. This was to be my last animal needed to complete the last Hemmeldal travel mission. I shot two bears with a slug. Bear #1 I had to track down. When I arrived at the site of where the bear was shot there were no tracks or blood. Then I followed the direction of where the bear was fleeing and spotted the tracks. As I drew near the tracks they dissapeared in front of me. Other animal tracks remained but just the bear tracks dissappeared. I gave up on that bear because I couldn't track it. Then I went back to my tree stand next to the feeder to wait for my next bear. Bear #2 I shot again with a slug and had to track down. Again I didn't find the tracks or blood where they should be. I followed the direction I saw the bear flee. I did find one track with some blood and ID'd it. As I continued to follow the path of the tracks I struggled to see bear tracks. Other animal tracks were around the area. Finally I found the bear tracks again. This time I looked at the tracks and saw them dissappear in front of my eyes leaving no doubt that the tracks were indeed dissappearing. I again gave up on that bear and the ended the hunt frustrated.

I'm now going to start a new hunt to complete the mission. This time I'm bringing out the big guns so I don't have to track down my last bear for this mission.
This bug happens after you've been on Hemmeldal for awhile, usually during a fairly long hunt. I believe it has something to do with the ptarmigan tracks accumulating all over the place, and once it starts happening to you it's best to just finish up your hunt as quickly as possible. It's impossible to hunt normally when it starts happening.

I believe the problem is rooted in that the system is designed to remember all tracks made by every animal in the spawn in the last hour; but if there are too many animals with too many tracks, the system seems to get overloaded and goes haywire. With Reindeer herds running through the map leaving lots of tracks, and numerous flocks of ptarmigans with their millions of little tracks all over the place, the game just breaks, and at that point tracking anything becomes nearly impossible as tracks start disappearing, even brand new tracks.

If they don't want to reduce the number of ptarmigans, then they need to severely reduce the number of tracks a ptarmigan produces. Nobody tracks them anyway, and they just take up valuable system resources. Limit them to a maximum of maybe three tracks per bird, or reduce how often they can leave tracks. Currently you can track individual birds, and even whole flocks, for long distances because sometimes they just don't get up. It's silly, and like I said, it's a huge waste of system resources.
Bort
Scout

Post by Bort »

How long of time was there between when you shot the bear and when you attempted tracking it? The game only allows so many tracks to remain on the map to allow pc memory room (lag prevention, etc) for new tracks to appear. As new tracks appear old tracks disappear.

Tracks don't stay on the map forever. It is a good idea to wait a few minutes after an animal takes off from being shot to give it time to stop running because if we chase after it right away it will keep going and going until it tosses over dead. If we wait a few minutes and track it slowly looking ahead of the tracks we find now and then they usually aren't excessively far away depending on what part of them the shot(s) hit.

I don't know for sure how long it takes for new tracks to start making old tracks disappear. To be safe I don't wait any longer than an hour (real time) for a bear to return to a feeder. They will return if they don't die. They always do in my games. If they don't return in an hour real time the body is laying dead somewhere.

Pressing the Z key (default key for the sunglasses effect) whether we have glasses or not will place a tracking globe on the body. I find them dead at far distances with a scope or binoculars from towers or a tree stand that way. Sometimes, if I have multiple dead in an area, I'll left-click while viewing one through the binoculars. That places a red dot on the map and the HunterMate where we're looking if you didn't know that. I played for years not knowing that until someone filled me in.

Tracer arrows are helpful too because you can see the tracer as far as the game draws graphics from us. IMO cupid arrows are the brightest and they come in a pack of 15. I prefer to use them for those reasons.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Also I want to add that when I tracked these bears I started tracking them immediately after I shot them. There was no periods of waiting between my shots and tracking down the animals.
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

In my case, both times I run to the spot right after the shot.
Spoiler:
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

JimboCrow wrote:
This bug happens after you've been on Hemmeldal for awhile, usually during a fairly long hunt. I believe it has something to do with the ptarmigan tracks accumulating all over the place, and once it starts happening to you it's best to just finish up your hunt as quickly as possible. It's impossible to hunt normally when it starts happening.

I believe the problem is rooted in that the system is designed to remember all tracks made by every animal in the spawn in the last hour; but if there are too many animals with too many tracks, the system seems to get overloaded and goes haywire. With Reindeer herds running through the map leaving lots of tracks, and numerous flocks of ptarmigans with their millions of little tracks all over the place, the game just breaks, and at that point tracking anything becomes nearly impossible as tracks start disappearing, even brand new tracks.

If they don't want to reduce the number of ptarmigans, then they need to severely reduce the number of tracks a ptarmigan produces. Nobody tracks them anyway, and they just take up valuable system resources. Limit them to a maximum of maybe three tracks per bird, or reduce how often they can leave tracks. Currently you can track individual birds, and even whole flocks, for long distances because sometimes they just don't get up. It's silly, and like I said, it's a huge waste of system resources.
Thanks for the clarity Jim! I can understand the issue here better now. This needs a fix! Until then, I'll need to plan my hunts in the high hills of Hemmeldal better to account for this issue. It looks like I need to add more tents on that side of the map, maybe another feeder on the SW portion, and focus on ptarmigan and brown bear so I'm making better use of my inventory space and weapon selections. I tend to try to do too many things at once. If I come with the right weapon, I won't have to do much tracking of the bears which are a pain in the butt anyway.

I agree they should limit the number of ptarmigan tracks there as who really uses them anyway? I don't. A few are enough for me to get a read on where the Ptarmigans are moving but I don't need to ID every track as the birds are more vocal than most animals.

Or, modeling how Timbergold is set up, have the Western part of Hemmeldal have less animals. I would expect to hunt Ptarmigan and bear, and Raindeer in that area. Not to forget Lynx! That's already a lot of animals if you think about it. Timbergold and Val de Boise only have two animals in the high parts. Maybe move moose and Roe out of that region and keep them in the lower parts? Clearly Raindeer and Ptarmigans create a lot of tracks and something needs to be done here. I don't even need so many Raindeer tracks because they too are very vocal and easy to spot as they roam in herds and are plentiful. I think of them like land ducks with antlers. :lol:

I have a suggestion to the devs. When an animal flees, the previous roaming tracks should disappear. First to limit the number of tracks. Second because sometimes I find myself moving in a large figure-8 loop when tracking, losing the latest tracks of my fleeing animal because their fleeing path runs into the old roaming tracks of the same animal. This would help the player track animals without confusing tracks. You'd always know the latest tracks. Once the animal has fled, then changed to a roaming state, at that point the previous roaming tracks become useless no?
EthanRanft
Tracker

Post by EthanRanft »

That would devalue the tracking skill you get later that gives you time frames for each track. Once you get that, it’s really no problem at all. But if they did what was suggested, you would miss out on lots of tracks. Personally I wouldn’t want that
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

Bringing that topic up again as it happened to me two more times again in the last days:
1.) Settler creeks, black bear, hunting time 1-2h RT: I shot it and it died in the field of view. Run after it right away and tracks disappeared on the way to it
2.) Whiterime Ridge, Sitka deer, hunting time ~1h RT: I shot at a stag in a group of females, it run of, I run to the spot right after the shot. All tracks disappeared right in front of me , droppings stayed

This shows, that the hypotheses, that it is linked to Hemmeldal (Ptarmigan movement) and duration of the hunt seem to be wrong. It can happen everywhere and even after short hunting times.

I recognized it happen 4 times so far and every time after having shot an animal. This might be a relationship, but I am not sure, as maybe I just didn't payed attention to disappearing tracks without having shot...
Spoiler:
Mrmr123
Outfitter

Post by Mrmr123 »

This happened to me on settler creek map, it was a long hunt, i picked up alot of animals tracks, at some point i was following this big weight 500k ELK, i spooked him few times but when i was finally catching up to him, the domes of the tracks disappeared infront of me and there was 2 of them visible next to each other and when i get to like few meters from them before i could ID them, they just vanished for ever, no more new tracks where found of him, only his old tracks remained.

So i think because i picked up too many animal tracks that session and was a long one, the game memory related to tracks was full and started deleting old tracks i identified and i was able to see them disappear on my huntermate every time i pick new track, one old X on minimap is gone, but i think the game for some reason not only delete old tracks but it start deleting fresh tracks of the current animal you are tracking... so maybe i hit another memory capacity or simply a bug that i cant pin point what trigger it.

Hope this info help.
Last edited by Mrmr123 on October 28th, 2021, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Animals”