"Roaming bear" Bug, Re-visited

This forum is for reporting bugs or glitches found involving the animals. Please use the animals species name in the topic title with description, titles with only "found a bug", "bug" and alike will be deleted.
Example title: Bear tracks disappear
J_Birdman
Hunter

"Roaming bear" Bug, Re-visited

Post by J_Birdman »

Bug Report
Game Mode: Both
Hunter Name: J_Birdman

Description:
The "roaming bear" bug is occurring again. Recall this bug ended up being EHR-wide and affecting many different species. I have witnessed this only in Timbergold Trails with rocky mountain elk, so far. When tracking wounded elk, or elk that is being/has been chased by wolves, the age of the tracks are not decreasing as you advance toward the animal. No matter how fast you are traveling(crouch walk, walking, running), the track age remains about/near the same as when you first started tracking them after they have fled from either being wounding or being chased by wolves. The end result is that the track ages make no normal sense, even after the animal transitions from "fleeing" to "roaming", and you either never locate the animal(possibly due to being chased by wolves again) or you suddenly come upon the animal, even though the most recent track ages indicate the animal should be much further ahead of your position.

I feel I should also mention that, in addition to this problem, I am also noticing entire track "paths" of mule deer suddenly disappearing from the huntermate tracks disappearing.(i.e. you're tracking a mule deer and all of a sudden all of their tracks disappear at the same time) I know that tracks have a "lifespan" and only last so long, however this is happening far sooner than normally would/should. So far, I've only noticed this when there are wolves present in the area and the animal ends up fleeing for any reason. Not going to make a separate bug report for this, seeing as I have not done much mule deer hunting in TGT recently.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Track rocky mountain elk that have recently fled either from being wounded or being chased by wolves
2. Note track times and compare versus your rate of movement(crouch walk, walk, run)
3. If/when you catch up to the animal, again note the most age of the most recent tracks you collected
4. If able, also track spooked/fleeing mule deer as well

Additional Information:
None

My Computer
Platform:
Motherboard: MSI (970A-G46)
CPU: AMD FX 6300 (FD6300WMHKBOX)
CPU Cooler: OCZ Vanquisher, LGA775 Socket
Video Card: GeForce GTX 650 Ti, 2Gb,128-Bit GDDR5, PCI Express GV-N65TOC-2GI (rev 1.0)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00, 8Gb(2x4Gb), DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PCS-12800), CL9, Dual Channel

OS & Version: Win7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Re: "Roaming bear" Bug, Re-visited

Post by DYEUZ »

Confirming and had similar situation this morning in TgT .

Shot an Elk . Tracked him after a brief wait .Couple first tracks with blood . At about 45% , he started to roam again ,but never could catch up to him . Tracks were most of time increasing in time instead of decreasing and i was walking upright for most part , because of that .
I even ran a couple times to get to him , but never caught up .Saw many tracks adding time vs, subtracting some .
He was never bleeding again .Original shot was with .454 .
In the end , i said : Forget it !!

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

MartinSundberg
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by MartinSundberg »

Hello,

I visited this issue on live today. Thanks for providing such a good ticket/report and taking the time to write it. Sadly I've been unavailable reproducing this issue. I did try shooting the animals(Male and female Elks) with a crossbow followed them and none so far have done as you described. So I did try and scare a couple away as well, the same result. Now I'm starting to wonder if they have super sensitive hearing or something similar. I'll continue investigating this, if any other information becomes available to you, don't hesitate to post it here.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

DYEUZ
SP
TgT

Roaming / can't catch up to animal .

Once again, just now . Never could catch up to a Grizzly Bear .
Shot one that dropped dead on spot and saw one ,crossing the road in front of me fleeing , scared by my shot .
I decided to follow it , because it was a F and i need a F for a comp .

I was around Rimwood area . So i was crouch a good time until i saw roaming tracks . They were 1@4 mins old . And it kept that time pretty much all the time , even going to 6 minutes + occasionally . But still was crouch and never caught up to it . It started to trot and roam and trot and roam . I decided to run to have a chance at least to see it . Never happened . Ran for almost 1 km and it went to the river and crossed it never to be seen again .
And once again , i said : '' forget it '' . Over 1.5km never catching up !!

FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

MartinSundberg wrote:Hello,

I visited this issue on live today. Thanks for providing such a good ticket/report and taking the time to write it. Sadly I've been unavailable reproducing this issue. I did try shooting the animals(Male and female Elks) with a crossbow followed them and none so far have done as you described. So I did try and scare a couple away as well, the same result. Now I'm starting to wonder if they have super sensitive hearing or something similar. I'll continue investigating this, if any other information becomes available to you, don't hesitate to post it here.
Thank you for looking into it. Were there wolves around at the time? If so, did they ever chase your animal(s)?

If it were super sensitive hearing, I don't think I would have ever been able to see/shoot at the animal in the first place. If this is the case, then maybe that's where the wolves come in and play a part in the equation. Perhaps the chasing mechanic triggers some change in whatever they're chasing? I don't know if you were around during the "roaming bear" bug, aka "endless roam" bug, but if so you might can see the similarity to this bug. The roaming bug started right after some change made in TGT/animal in TGT, and resulted in many reserves and animals suffering it. I'd go back in time in the forums to when players first started talking about the roaming bug and compare it with any Game Updates just prior to that time. I remember knowing instantly which exact game update/change brought the bug into existence, yet now I cannot for the life of me remember exactly what that game update/change was. If I had to guess, I would guess that it was brought on by one of the times the grizzlies were tweaked.(they were publicly tweaked/game updated at least two times, possibly three, since they were first released, from what I remember) Of course, if you haven't already, you could also take another look at what you guys/EW did to finally fix the roaming bug.

So far, I've experienced this "new" roaming bug only with rocky mountain elk, in several parts of the map. Me and grizzly bears don't get along so nice though, so I haven't hunted them much lately except during the Summer Fiesta. I don't always get my bear, I sometimes give up. The reason I don't like hunting grizzlies is because it's so hard for me to catch up to them, ever since they were last nerfed, which was quite a while ago now. Right now though, I'm wondering if the reason I hate hunting grizzlies and can never catch up to some of them/abort trying to is because of this bug. Every time I've brought up the subject of "nerfed grizzlies", I see others saying how they're ok and how they can consistently catch up to them. Each time, I'm always left amazed. Sure, even I manage to catch up to some of them, but consistently? Heck no. I'm not saying I'm some uber tHC player, but I think I'm pretty darn competent at this now(1 of 37 to earn the recent SF Trials Champion Trophy for example, not bragging) and I've just been baffled. This is of course all speculation, not to mention the huge implication that this bug only happens for some and not all, and everything which goes with that kind of bug nastiness. :(

For the record, I have only actively hunted mule deer one time during about the past six months(just last week before making this report), and probably the same for wolves. It was during that hunt that I had been tracking a spooked mule deer and all his tracks just suddenly disappeared off my huntermate.(I was on his very fresh trail, they didn't track-expire) Wolves were certainly around, and certainly chasing. This is when I had yet another elk go into "near-endless roam" mode, end resulted in this report being made.

I've only actively hunted bighorn sheep and white-tail ptarmigans a handful of times in the same time, and do not recall having any such oddity in their tracking. Hm, however.. One thing that now greatly interests me is bighorn sheep calls. I say they have none, because I've have never once received a bighorn sheep call/sound on my huntermate since they were released. Yet recently I've seen at least one person say that they do make a "fighting"(or whatever it's called) sound which can be picked up by the huntermate, just like the alpine ibex do. So please, if you can answer this, MartinSundberg, do bighorn sheep actually make a call/sound that can be picked up by the huntermate? Thanks!
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Tried to find out when it all started also . Found these posts :

- https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... g&start=20
- https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... ug#p835671
- https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... oaming+bug

Around these posts , some updates talk about the mentioned roaming bug .

Hope this helps

FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

DYEUZ wrote:Tried to find out when it all started also . Found these posts :

- https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... g&start=20
- https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... ug#p835671
- https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... oaming+bug

Around these posts , some updates talk about the mentioned roaming bug .

Hope this helps
Cool, yes very much, thanks Dyeuz. From what I'm seeing it wasn't any bear tweaking game update/change, or the release of the wolves either. It seems that it was the release of TGT itself which first caused the bears to break, and so naturally I now think the very first version of the grizzlies is the culprit.

This is the first page of the first thread Dyeuz posted.. https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... oaming+bug

Waiora posted it on 10-20-16, which is one day after the release of TGT, and thus pre-grey wolf/chasing mechanic.. http://news.thehunter.com/game-update-122/

This is the only GU before the release of TGT, dated 09-21-16.. http://news.thehunter.com/game-update-121/
I doubt Waiora was referring to this update when he said "2 days before the patch", thus I believe he's talking about the TGT release "patch". TGT was a really bad release, even compared to WR. With WR it was basically just the one, albeit huge and lengthy, memory issue. With TGT it was many things, not least of all was the patching issue(s), and they were all pretty lengthy. I don't remember when the roaming bug was finally solved but as we can see in the very last post of that same thread, the issue still remained until at least July, 2017.

Bears. It's always the bears. There's been so many issues with bears in the three years I've been playing.. I wish you the best in solving this, Martin and all, I really do.

Sidenote: Still, please kill off 50%-65% of the wolf population, and have them less spread out. Please provide at least one rocky mountain elk area and one mule deer area which are relatively "wolf-free". I suggest you have Doc tell everyone that all those elk carcasses ARE in fact diseased and are thus the culprit, and give us a special event to go collect them, pile them up, and burn them. When the event is over, release Elk Carcasses 2.0, new and improved, "healthy" carcasses, looking 100% disease-free and very much fed upon to prove it, with about 75% less of them laying around, with a MUCH more powerful attraction(both attraction rate and distance), which can naturally and of course be fed upon by the grizzly bears too. That's all, thanks. :lol:

Return to “Animals”