Next Gen Mini-Comp R2 #7

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
splainin2do
Outfitter

Re: Next Gen Mini-Comp R2 #7

Post by splainin2do »

And now, for my story why I really was just lucky... :)

I started the game by tracking a male goat from just west of the lodge at Walkabout Creek to north of the topmost lake. I found his tracks that said he was "40kg - 70kg", and hoped he was big as I never saw him until he finally appeared with a max score of 310 that got me excited. I was worried that he'd run off again if I got too close, so shot him in the head with my .300 at 45m. Score was 281, but I was happy enough. "One down, one to go..." As I knew with my shot that I scared off any other nearby animals (not that I had seen any other tracks that entire time), I fast traveled back to the same lodge and headed towards the plateaus to the north east.

As I'm halfway there, I heard a bleat with the Huntermate, looked, and could see a herd of goats climbing up the plateau, right where I wanted to walk up! I was able to spot a female with long black hair and a max score of 170, so she became my next target. The herd stayed on top of the plateau the whole time, hiding in between the cliffs while I crouched and crawled up. Once I finally got there, I was able to see my target- all the way on the other side of the herd, with a smaller female blocking my way. I was able to crawl up closer than I expected I could (14m) and shoot her with my Tenpoint, but only got her shoulder and she ran off, spooking the entire herd off the plateau. She finally died at the bottom, and as I harvested her (102), I watched the rest of the herd walk up and over the next hill heading towards Ghost Pond... including the 170 female. I had improved my score at this point and thought about stopping, but I really wanted that bigger one, so I followed them up, down and up the next hill as they were circling back around heading towards the large lake where the train track bends.

As the herd was heading to the top of the steepest plateau, on the side closer to the tracks, I started crawling up the side closer to me. But, when they reached the top, they turned and started heading in my direction! I was right near the top, so I froze, but had my Tenpoint ready again just in case. I heard them walking right nearby, closer... then suddenly one pops her head over the cliff right on top of me! I saw a flash of "180" in the score, right before she backed away again. I waited as they continued to walk around, in shock that this goat was bigger and that I hadn't been seen yet. Then I hear the footsteps coming closer again... a head pops out- and it's her again! POW! I shot, mostly just a reaction... and she took off, along with the rest of the herd. I wait a minute after the noise of running away stops, and I crawl up the top, hoping I hit her, holding my breath. A blood trail! Yes! "Body", not intestines, so it'll be good! Now, to find her, harvest her, post my score... and go to bed, as it's already late! ;)

I crouch walked across to the other side, and started to follow her tracks down the hill when I spot the herd on the ground on the far side of the next hill. Then, I looked closer - "Wait... I hadn't seen that one before - those horns are HUGE!" I scoped and spotted him; he had a max score of 410!!! :o This was a different herd! Bedtime can wait- and so can finding that female! I noted where I was, and started after the male.

Well, that male managed to walk with his herd all the way to the other side of the train tracks, headed south, and turned towards the tracks again - the entire time staying either where I could not shoot or far enough away that it would not count. The many females walking around spooked the herd three times when they came across me laying on the ground. The last time they spooked they all went in different directions, but in an area where I could watch where the big male went. I was able to get his tracks, and crouched all the way to another small hill he had gone up. The Huntermate said he was nearby, so I began to crawl...

Once again, I'm right near the top of a hill, and I hear footsteps. Out comes the Tenpoint, and the sound of walking goat gets closer... closer... and all of a sudden, there's his head and neck, partially visible and all in outline, right on the other side of the small bush I'm behind! He is SO CLOSE! and so I take the shot! Just as happened earlier, I hear him running away- but this time I'm quite sure I hit him, even with the bush between us. I get up to a crouch, go to look and... body shot! YES!!! :D

It took a little bit of time; he made it to the other side of the train tracks and I had to watch and wait for him to die before I could harvest him. It took long enough that I was worried the trail from that big female might have gone away, but I made it back to the area in time, and found her on the hill just above where I had first spotted that male.
I finally made it to bed a little after 1:00 AM... and had to be up for 7:00 AM. ;)

I was lucky enough that there were some big scoring animals... but also lucky I'm not more skilled with the Tenpoint. If I had managed a kill shot on that big female, I *never* would have continued playing, and would have missed that male completely. :shock:
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Awesome- tale. Yeah, I've had situations like that, where you find decent animals and are about to shut-down, when something else catches the eye. Indeed a good thing you missed that female, you would have never known about that monster Goat. Good job! 8-) :D

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
EduT
Hunter

Post by EduT »

Congrats splain... Nice score for goats and Nice history of ur hunt :D i ser My male goat on firt 5min of start the hunt a surprice for me...

Ppgunz i told u, ten fe que en un intento se puede y lo lograste, me alegra mucho por eso...

I ser You all on next cómp 8-)
St_Loki
Spotter

Post by St_Loki »

Congratulations to the winners. It was interesting to watch the fight, I hope next time I will be in your ranks 8-)
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Jesus... I take a break for a bit and WTH happened? What did you all do to that girl?
She talked more trash than anyone when she sucked - I can't imagine the crap that's going to come now.

Well, the one sweet lining, as we all know, this game will raise you up and then crush you like a bug :lol: Bu that is an amazing knife to the throat super slammin score. But that's how it is with goats. Great find Splainin

~ Good job Lou, I was watching yesterday, even did a hunt but had to throw it as I was cooking dinner for my birthday girl.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Radamus wrote:Jesus... I take a break for a bit and WTH happened? What did you all do to that girl?
She talked more trash than anyone when she sucked - I can't imagine the crap that's going to come now.

Well, the one sweet lining, as we all know, this game will raise you up and then crush you like a bug :lol: Bu that is an amazing knife to the throat super slammin score. But that's how it is with goats. Great find Splainin

~ Good job Lou, I was watching yesterday, even did a hunt but had to throw it as I was cooking dinner for my birthday girl.
I think she'll be needing an exorcism, after a score like that. :lol: :lol:

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

BCKidd wrote:
Radamus wrote:Jesus... I take a break for a bit and WTH happened? What did you all do to that girl?

I think she'll be needing an exorcism, after a score like that. :lol: :lol:

BCKidd.
Wow, I really must have made an impact with those big goats to drag Rad's sorry butt back in here! :lol: It even irritated you enough to try to hunt again, but I see you couldn't put up much of a fight... ;)
- You know what? I'll take that one back. Cooking for the birthday girl is absolutely a valid reason to in my book! Please wish T the best from me, too! And, in all sincerity, thanks for the nice words. I'm glad you were watching.(*) :)

As to what got into me? Well, not being able to post a score for #6 *REALLY* irritated me. :evil: Seeing others posting scores here in the 400's while I had not reached 300 yet also was not sitting well. I knew I could do better. :? But, topping it off was seeing those big ol' horns on that last male goat. That kicked me into "determined" mode, BIG time! :twisted:

And, I won't need an exorcism. However, I've been sitting on my chair in front of the computer so much lately, I surely do need some exercise!!! :lol: :lol:

(*P.S. - speaking of watching... have you taken a look at the "Points Leaderboard" lately? Looks like someone has some "catching up"2do! :lol: :lol:)
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I should have picked a simpler recipe for dinner- not one that was braised for 2 hours with periodic basting - I saw it on Valerie's cooking show, Beef Braciole ~ and it was quite good. I got a high five from the boss :D
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:

Return to “Competitions”