Next Gen Mini Comp #28 by BCKidd

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
ppgunz
Hunter

Re: Next Gen Mini Comp #28 by BCKidd

Post by ppgunz »

thank you, congratulations to all. especially those who organize and care about the competition.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

splainin2do wrote:
BCKidd wrote:We're back into winter up this way...oh lucky us. :lol: :lol: Respect,

BCKidd.
The best part about winter in May is that it doesn't last for months. It should go back to spring soon, or skip right over to summer. Hang in there; it won't be long! :D
Nope, nope, there is nothing good about winter... not even in November. :lol: :lol: Respect,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

ppgunz wrote:thank you, congratulations to all. especially those who organize and care about the competition.
You and everyone else is welcome! I do what I can to keep the comps going. I love it! There is nothing better then a good ol' comp to get the blood pumping. ;) Respectfully,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

BCKidd wrote:We're back into winter up this way...oh lucky us. :lol: :lol: Respect,

BCKidd.
Was 88 degrees today, 87 yesterday, same tomorrow. Some neighbors already running AC. But then it went down to 50 last night, woke up freezing with the windows open :lol:
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Radamus wrote:

BCKidd.
Was 88 degrees today, 87 yesterday, same tomorrow. Some neighbors already running AC. But then it went down to 50 last night, woke up freezing with the windows open :lol:
I had to build an Ark last night. The snow turned to rain and was so loud on the steel roof, it was deafening. The dried up lil' creek that runs past is running again with water. :lol: Respect,

BCKidd.

Keep it real!
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

We could use some of that rain. It was 91 here today. Cooling down some next week though. There's been a LOT of planting going on. Guys are running dusk to dawn fitting and planting right now. Another week and most of it should be done. Then it can rain. We aren't super dry or anything though.
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
Spoiler:
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Radamus wrote:We could use some of that rain. It was 91 here today. Cooling down some next week though. There's been a LOT of planting going on. Guys are running dusk to dawn fitting and planting right now. Another week and most of it should be done. Then it can rain. We aren't super dry or anything though.
Is that dryland farming or irrigation? I did dryland farming for a few years in Milk River Alberta- near Montana in 1988. Worked from dusk 'til dawn during harvest. Mostly mustard, and cereal grains. I always found driving a swather fun- those damn things can turn on a dime. Was always told to stay inside the combine until my body temp equalized. When it is hot and dry and you're operating a combine with A/C, if you jus' step out it can actually cause you to get pneumonia. True fact. We worked three sections of land 660 acres per section, or something crazy like that. Basically one mile long and one mile wide. The BC mountains tho' kept calling me home. Was glad when we finally made the decision to do so. I don't miss the prairies at all. :lol: Respect,

BCKidd.

Keep it real!
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

BCKidd wrote:
Radamus wrote:We could use some of that rain. It was 91 here today. Cooling down some next week though. There's been a LOT of planting going on. Guys are running dusk to dawn fitting and planting right now. Another week and most of it should be done. Then it can rain. We aren't super dry or anything though.
Is that dryland farming or irrigation? I did dryland farming for a few years in Milk River Alberta- near Montana in 1988. Worked from dusk 'til dawn during harvest. Mostly mustard, and cereal grains. I always found driving a swather fun- those damn things can turn on a dime. Was always told to stay inside the combine until my body temp equalized. When it is hot and dry and you're operating a combine with A/C, if you jus' step out it can actually cause you to get pneumonia. True fact. We worked three sections of land 660 acres per section, or something crazy like that. Basically one mile long and one mile wide. The BC mountains tho' kept calling me home. Was glad when we finally made the decision to do so. I don't miss the prairies at all. :lol: Respect,

BCKidd.
All dryland here but for some specialty crops, potatoes that have center pivots. We have more problem getting water away than we do lack of it. We raise primarily corn, soybeans and winter wheat but we do have a lot of vegetables in these parts it's just small amount of growers. Canada does the canola/rape and mustard stuff and also a lot of wheat. There's not much "section" (sq mile) farming until you hit Illinois and go west where the population density drops like a rock.
Spoiler:
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

BCKidd wrote:

BCKidd.
1 section = 1 sq mile = 640 acres.

Dry land farming/ranching is a western thing in the U.S. and Canada. Pretty much a north/south line that goes though central North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, with dry land farming being west of that line. Sure you will see some irrigation in the east, but that's usually because they are growing something "special" that requires additional irrigation with a pivot or flooding.

Like Rad said, east of that line, lack water usually isn't a problem, with too much water often being the problem. It's also why you rarely see or hear about wildfires or forest fires in the eastern half of the U.S., but fires are a constant problem west of that line.

Interestingly, one eastern exception to the fires is Florida, where there are also a lot of wildfires. Not because of lack of water/rain, but because the ground is so sandy and drys out so fast, that it can rain one day, then there will be a huge wildfire a couple days later.
Personal Bests...
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Yeah, with all the wildfires we've had here in BC for the last few years running, it is actually nice to get some rain. It is the snow at this time of year that is annoying. :lol: Respect,

BCKidd.

Keep it real!

Return to “Competitions”