Vehicles, please say no

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
OwnedEwe

Vehicles, please say no

Post by OwnedEwe »

Hello everyone, I have been gone for 3 years and just came back 2 weeks ago.

I have a question for you folks, can you use vehicles for single player competitions and actually have your harvest valid ?.. I hope not, because this would give an advantage in so many cases, and I would now have to look into buying one. Thanks in advance for any answers.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Vehicles, please say no

Post by HooCairs »

As you as you are enlisted in at least one competition, you cannot equip a vehicle. Even if you are in a reserve where there are no animals for your active competitions.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
OwnedEwe

Post by OwnedEwe »

HooCairs wrote:As you as you are enlisted in at least one competition, you cannot equip a vehicle. Even if you are in a reserve where there are no animals for your active competitions.
Thank you Hoo, this is excellent news. I actually just saw your video on youtube testing the vehicle, quite funny. You did mention you cannot use automobiles for competitions on the video, but today I started to wonder if this had change, since on the competitions page under special requirements it says "none". I was expecting to say "no vehicles allowed". Anyway thank you for the response, this is good news indeed.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

You can't use any vehicle (on any map I believe) if you have ANY competition active. Period. So that's the easy answer to your question.

Now the longer answer about how they work in general.

Vehicles spook animals from a pretty good distance away. An animal spooked by a vehicle is NOT permitted to be shot and harvested at all until it has left the nervous state (which it obviously won't do with a vehicle still in the immediate area). There will even be a message in the spotting box of the animal saying something along the lines of "this animal has been spooked by a vehicle and is unethical to shoot" or something like that. That message remains until the animal calms down.

So no, you can't just drive up to an animal, hop out, and shoot it as it runs across a field. That is not permitted by the game mechanics. You will not earn hunterscore, GMs, or a leaderboard position for animals killed this way. The animal will be disqualified.

Yes, you could hypothetically drive around attempting to spot a big animal. But you'd then have to ditch the vehicle, locate the animal again, and wait for it to calm back down to the normal roaming state and have the message go away before you can legally shoot and harvest it.

I personally don't know anyone who does this. The vehicles are too clunky to use off of the main roads to be efficient for spotting tools. The temporary disqualification of a spooked animal is too burdensome to use that method for hunting in general. And for a long while (I assume it was fixed, but not certain) animals spooked by a vehicle would be unpermitted for well beyond the 8-9 minutes real time it takes for them to leave the nervous state. Some stayed unpermitted for the whole hunt duration... but that was not intended. Someone please acknowledge if this was ever fixed.

My point is, vehicles don't really have a good use for hunting. Maybe driving if you and a buddy tried to work together in two separate vehicles but I think two is the max on any multiplayer map so even then you wouldn't effectively cover all ground. And you'd get stuck a million times along the way. And if the vehicle gets stuck to a point you can't drive it, you have to return to a lodge or a main road to place it down again.

The only thing I think vehicles are good for is setting up multiple pieces of large equipment on your map at one time, or moving bulk equipment around. I personally don't think I know anyone that uses them at all for anything.
OwnedEwe

Post by OwnedEwe »

As long as you can't use them for a competition i'm good.

The thing about it OEDragon is that for example, I can go on bushranger run and spot all the European Rabbit holes in half the time if not a quarter of the time it took me to win a comp yesterday.. so the fact that they are not allowed in comps is great cause that would of really ***** me off.. I hunted for about 12 real hours in 2 days just to get first place.. the thought of a vehicle helping me do this is not fun.

I also see an advantage on the point of view a vehicle gives you.. it zooms out far and high allowing you to view around your map insanely easy.. I can also see that it allows you to spot and see the score of an animal, I hope they removed that feature.. because you could hypothetically chase animals much faster and see their score.. a horse with first person view would of been a whole lot better than a car.

Return to “Competitions”