Next gen Mini-Comp #97

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
BCKidd

Re: Next gen Mini-Comp #97

Post by BCKidd »

Yep, that is where they all seem to be. But, I saw only a couple of bulls in that area- each less than 250 score. RFF never used to be like that. It has been a year or two where they seem to be diminishing and the high scoring ones are no longer. There is certainly something happening, what it is only the stars know- EW I don't think has done anything to make it like that, at least not intentionally, but, who knows. ;) Respect,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

I used to go up there when I first went to RFF and then stopped for some reason. I don't know why now.

I just did a fast experiment. I normally use no aids but for the experiment I used them all. First I fast traveled to the treestand on the river in your picture. It used to be a hot spot. I tried Hoo's time of 8am and Ron's of 11am. Nothing at all. I called until my ears were ringing. Not even a cow call.
Then I setup a treestand at the small pond in your picture and FT to it. 8am was nothing. At 11am I was about to give up when I got a bull call. It took a bit but finally got it to come in. When it approached I thought it was a cow coming in ahead of the bull. Nope, it was the bull. The antlers were so small they looked like they should be on a goat. He let out a bugle that sounded like a 400 bull. We sure can't judge the bull by the call. I starred at the bull and wondered what such a young bull would score. I would normally never shoot it but curiosity got the best of me. It scored a 51. I ragged on myself for shooting it.

Roosevelt elk live to about 10 years old. The majority should be grown up bulls. No way to have so many young bulls. Only so many can be born in one year.

You did get lucky but i'm not going to depend on getting lucky to finding elk. It should be more than that. Sadly, i'm finished with elk on RFF. If the devs aren't interfering with elk spawning. That northern area should be good for elk all the time. I bet it won't be. I hope i'm wrong but have little faith that I am.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

LuckyMurph wrote:you canl see using the map for each elk I took it was in the same area the first in middle of your circle the second closer to the cabin and the last I had circled back to the River making another trip looking for one smaller I had seen the first trek when the last one showed as 315 on the guess and he was bigger than the guess of the one I was following . :o
Hmm... maybe we're onto something. As long as no one else reads these posts before thier hunts in the next 5 1/2 hours, we're good! :lol:
napeHb_c_neperapom_DK
Hunter

Post by napeHb_c_neperapom_DK »

Everything is fine with spawn ! At 6 am, start from the left house and immediately jump to the right house.There are 5 bulls on the tower near the house. There are 4 more bulls on the tower just above. 30 minutes-965 points. I will not submit an application, so as not to take points from others. https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/nape ... /106887179
Colin Walker
Scout
Location: ScouseLand, United Kingdom 53°28'58.9"N 2°52'51.4"W

Post by Colin Walker »

2 hunts down, first I could not hit the lungs on any, 2nd walk around for 2 hours real time not 1 male seen or heard, giving up on getting to 30 points, this will be my last hunt in the mini comps, as I need to concentrate on my simrace series for the last 2 rounds if I am to win it, well done to those that have posted scores and good luck to all those in the invitational, thanks Brian for this series and I look forward to the Gen2 version, see you all soon for the Xmas Whiteout ;), take care.
Season 39

Range record- Season 23, Season 25, Season 37 Dall Sheep
PB range, Xbow 580.470, Bow 471.180, Rifle 609.050 , Pistol 274.90, No scope rifle 571.280

2016 Season 16
TheWind7
Outfitter

Post by TheWind7 »

Colin good luck with the simrace series and we'll see you in Gen2!
TheWind7
Outfitter

Post by TheWind7 »

Complete hunt: link here https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/thew ... /106881115

Roosevelt Elk: (Score 343.7794) B&C Scoresheet link here: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/thew ... /837316571
(+)
Roosevelt Elk: (Score 322.2046) B&C Scoresheet link here: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/thew ... /837309646
(+)
Roosevelt Elk: (Score 338.4252) B&C Scoresheet link here: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/thew ... /837241169
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

napeHb_c_neperapom_DK wrote:Everything is fine with spawn ! At 6 am, start from the left house and immediately jump to the right house.There are 5 bulls on the tower near the house. There are 4 more bulls on the tower just above. 30 minutes-965 points. I will not submit an application, so as not to take points from others. https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/nape ... /106887179
Very interesting! I just tried the same as you described.... with very different results! :o

NOTHING by the first tower- no cows, no tracks, no sounds.
By the second tower, I did find a group of 5 cows. All the tracks I found in and around that area were from those cows. No bull tracks or calls.
I went up the west bank of the river to the top and finally heard a bull call. He started from the west side where I was and crossed the river to the right.
I eventually shot him and two other males that also called just a little further up, all right near each other. The largest scored 213 and smallest 112.
Those were the only bulls I encountered at all during the entire hunt.

I put a tent in the area of the circle I drew and will try another hunt at some point to see what animals are around if I start from there..
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Colin Walker wrote:2 hunts down, first I could not hit the lungs on any, 2nd walk around for 2 hours real time not 1 male seen or heard, giving up on getting to 30 points, this will be my last hunt in the mini comps, as I need to concentrate on my simrace series for the last 2 rounds if I am to win it, well done to those that have posted scores and good luck to all those in the invitational, thanks Brian for this series and I look forward to the Gen2 version, see you all soon for the Xmas Whiteout ;), take care.
Yes, Xmas comp- you can bet I'll be there. Good luck with your simrace series! We'll see you in the Whiteout Comp. ;) Respect,

:arrow: TheWind7 :o EXCELLENT score! Lucky you... :D Respect,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

This competition has Officially ended!
Thanks to all who played a long, and congrats to those of you that found some worthy Elk.
I will announce the winners in 90 minutes.
Here is the link to the next: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... 93992[b][i] It starts now![/i][/b]
I hope to see you all there! ;) Respectfully,
BCKidd.

Keep it real!

Return to “Competitions”