My thoughts about competitions

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
Pittie
Hunter

My thoughts about competitions

Post by Pittie »

Hello :)

Meanwhile I do not play Classic very often. One reason for it are competitions. In the past I had many fun and played comps for 8 years, but now I lost the fun.
From time to time I open the launcher and look at the comps for some news. What I find are mostly these stupid kind of competitions like "longest distance", "shortest distance", "harvest so many as you can" and so on...
What I miss are much more of very simple competitions like "highest score" or "highest weight" etc.

Unfortunately the huge UHC comps are boring for me too. Duration 10(!) days. Harvest 6 species etc. I wished to find short simple comps (highest single score) here too. Last year I offered 2 quickie for the weekend, but this is hard for me because of my bad english.

I am a player with a job and can only play for limited time. Therfore it would be nice to find more of these short simple competitions. Of course, my favorite would be team competitions.

Anyway Thanks to Caledonienblues, Tod and all other guys who are involved about competitions. :)
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Re: My thoughts about competitions

Post by DYEUZ »

... I agree with you Pittie , about comps that requires , distances , quantities , etc . I hate them and have no time to waste on them .

I proposed a simple comp way back , to Alena , for the female Reindeer . It was simple : Highest scoring female Reindeer , killed with a bow .
There are no such comp and these ladies have very nice antlers , that we neglect to look at .
Did you ever look closely at a female Reindeer with a score of 320+ ? :shock: Beats any small male in my book .
I often shoot the female when the male is still a teen !

Also agree about some hosted comps that have a bit too much species / animals to get for a score . About the duration of some of them , 7@10 days is good with me .
More than that and it starts to be too long . Imho , Brian's comps are right on right now, and have great bonuses . ;)

In the end Pittie , you choose what comps you want to join . But of course , if none suits your taste , it's a bit frustrating in agree.

Keep the faith . :)

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

I personally prefer ranged competitions because there the skill outweights luck (in most cases). Finding a 190+ whitetail for example, takes more luck than skill. Shooting a whitetail deer from longest distance tho...
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

Hey,

May i ask what drives you to join in competitions? is it the price, the fame, or the competitive feeling that you got an animal bigger than ur friend did?

If it is not the price but just the fun and fame, than it might be an option to host it on UHC apps and ask David for an option to not win Ems in a comp but just to do it for fun.
Myself wouldn't mind doing some friendly comp and looking who could get the biggest mule in 1 week. ( i actually do this sometimes with a few friends, in one hunt).

If Ems is what you do the comps for, maybe we could create some sort of paypal group account for our Thehunter classic players, we could lay down some dollars and create some nice prices in competitions.

For example: shoot the biggest red deer.
1st place - 2k Ems
2nd place -1k Ems
3nd place - 500Ems.

If people would give a dollar or 2 we might get the chance to create good prices.
Photographer of the world, and playing this awesome game ;) :D Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDOkC ... Gz49JctvnA
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

We all have different tastes in competition, and incentives to participate, its important to stick to what you like, but even so you can feel it get monotonous after some time, that is when i personally take a small break and try to find new approaches to the game, its worth to mention that many UHC competitions are using a rule based on limited attempts instead time, that help to people with less time to play.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

Andhii wrote:I personally prefer ranged competitions because there the skill outweights luck (in most cases). Finding a 190+ whitetail for example, takes more luck than skill. Shooting a whitetail deer from longest distance tho...
I agree with Andhii, but I still think some people would like to do luck based comps like getting the highest scoring wt. I think there should be a 50-50 split between luck comps and skill comps (like range or maybe kill as many animals in 1 hour with 100% harvest value, or something like that).
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

... I surely don't want to offend anyone who like the long distances comps , but i can't see the '' skills '' that you need for them that much .
Sure , you need to aim properly and compensate for the distance , but that's about it .You need to do that also in a high score comp .

If the comp is accepted in MP, well most will ask a teammate / friend to do the caller in a TS at the bottom of the mountain , while the other is calmly waiting .
If in SP , well , then you need a tent at TS and a tent at top of mountain . Call the animals and teleport up the mountain !!

So if you want to compare , don't compare luck for the high scoring ones and skills for the long distances comps .
One does not require to track quietly , call in the beast , and prepare for success. Which i think , needs skills a bit more than the other way , especially that the animals in this game , spook so randomly . At times at 150m , other times at 10m .

I guess it's all in the way you see this . ;)

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

DYEUZ wrote:... I surely don't want to offend anyone who like the long distances comps , but i can't see the '' skills '' that you need for them that much .
Sure , you need to aim properly and compensate for the distance , but that's about it .You need to do that also in a high score comp .

If the comp is accepted in MP, well most will ask a teammate / friend to do the caller in a TS at the bottom of the mountain , while the other is calmly waiting .
If in SP , well , then you need a tent at TS and a tent at top of mountain . Call the animals and teleport up the mountain !!

So if you want to compare , don't compare luck for the high scoring ones and skills for the long distances comps .
One does not require to track quietly , call in the beast , and prepare for success. Which i think , needs skills a bit more than the other way , especially that the animals in this game , spook so randomly . At times at 150m , other times at 10m .

I guess it's all in the way you see this . ;)
Maybe the developers could solve the issue by not letting people use tents in long range comps?
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

curlyCoyote wrote:Maybe the developers could solve the issue by not letting people use tents in long range comps?
They could, but that would affect the sales of tents and camping supplies, so I doubt they would.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

caledonianblues wrote:
curlyCoyote wrote:Maybe the developers could solve the issue by not letting people use tents in long range comps?
They could, but that would affect the sales of tents and camping supplies, so I doubt they would.
Ok, could they maybe make it so you have a certain time period in game to get your ranged kill? Because it certantly takes a long time to bait the animal in, so maybe give people a 1 hour in game limit to get their long range harvest?

Return to “Competitions”