"The Unsettled 2019" by BCKidd

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
BCKidd

Re: "The Unsettled 2019" by BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Radamus wrote:
DeadClopz wrote:Figures, went out to set up tents and tree seats, spot elk, kill it and it is a 392. (top 20 in the leaderboard) not 100 HV tho. but took a step as pulled trigger, missed heart hit lung.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/dead ... /639330646
There's your season best! nice job! :D
No kiddin' nice! You don't wanna be missin' vitals when the comp starts. :lol: :P Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
DeadClopz
Outfitter

Post by DeadClopz »

Radamus wrote:
DeadClopz wrote:Figures, went out to set up tents and tree seats, spot elk, kill it and it is a 392. (top 20 in the leaderboard) not 100 HV tho. but took a step as pulled trigger, missed heart hit lung.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/dead ... /639330646
There's your season best! nice job! :D
My one and only kill this season. :lol: Figured I'd make it count.

HonzoChu
Tracker

Post by HonzoChu »

Tod1d wrote:Half-way, not considering DST change, which only happens in the USA, will be Noon (12pm) UTC on the 6th day, or 4am PST (5am PDT) on March 20th.
I suppose considering the time change, the comp is really 10 days & 23 hours long, rather than 11 full days. But I'm not going to bother with that.
So the bonus will be applied at, or as near as possible to 12pm UTC on that day.
Tod1d wrote:
stancomputerhunter wrote::arrow: Tod1d.. Since the comp starts at O:00 which is Midnight, it has to be half way at Midnight 6 days later, not at noon.
It's 11 days long. Half of that would be 5 1/2 days. ;)
I'm sure someone may have cleared this up already, just wanted to clearify just in case. Half-way will be March 13th @ Noon UTC and not March 20th as stated above.

Fast questions - 1. "Does a single submission need to have all four animals to be considered good? Or can it have less?" 2. How does a "Normalised Score" work? I know I've done a comp like this before, but for the life of me, I can't remember how this works.

Thanks all ;-)
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Hi HonzoChu, submissions are not required to have all the animals to be valid, so you can focus some attempts to get some animals and then others, now the normalized score, i leave that explanation to Tod or someone more familiarized with the formula, but still basically you need get the best animal possible with the highest HV possible.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

If I'm not mistaken, normalized score used in the most recent competitons sets the highest possible score of a certain species as 100.
Image Image Image
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

HonzoChu wrote:
Tod1d wrote:Half-way, not considering DST change, which only happens in the USA, will be Noon (12pm) UTC on the 6th day, or 4am PST (5am PDT) on March 20th.
I suppose considering the time change, the comp is really 10 days & 23 hours long, rather than 11 full days. But I'm not going to bother with that.
So the bonus will be applied at, or as near as possible to 12pm UTC on that day.
Tod1d wrote:
stancomputerhunter wrote::arrow: Tod1d.. Since the comp starts at O:00 which is Midnight, it has to be half way at Midnight 6 days later, not at noon.
It's 11 days long. Half of that would be 5 1/2 days. ;)
I'm sure someone may have cleared this up already, just wanted to clearify just in case. Half-way will be March 13th @ Noon UTC and not March 20th as stated above.

Fast questions - 1. "Does a single submission need to have all four animals to be considered good? Or can it have less?" 2. How does a "Normalised Score" work? I know I've done a comp like this before, but for the life of me, I can't remember how this works.

Thanks all ;-)
He changed the dates to Mar 15-25. forgot to change them on the announcement.

A single submission can have one animal. But you only have 5 attempts to get all 4.

Normalized score is the same as CSS without the multiplier. (Score - Min) / (Max - Min) * 100. So the lowest possible scoring animal of each species will get you 0, and the highest 100.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Thanks Tod, for answering Honzo Q's. I hope that clears it up for you Honzo, and I look forward to seeing you play along! ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
HonzoChu
Tracker

Post by HonzoChu »

Tod1d wrote:He changed the dates to Mar 15-25. forgot to change them on the announcement.
OK... Makes sense now ;-) March 20th at noon UTC it is the half way point ;-)

Tod1d wrote:A single submission can have one animal. But you only have 5 attempts to get all 4.
Thank you... that's what I kind of thought.

Tod1d wrote:Normalized score is the same as CSS without the multiplier. (Score - Min) / (Max - Min) * 100. So the lowest possible scoring animal of each species will get you 0, and the highest 100.
So... Score = Animal score*HV, Min is the smallest score submitted for that animal type, Max is the largest score submitted for that animal type. So, let's take a black bear as an example. I get one with a animal score of 28 at 100% HV. My score would be 2800. Two others submits animal scores of 22 (smallest) and 29 (largest) both at 100% HV. My comp score for black bears would be (2800 - 2200) / (2900 - 2200) * 100 = 85.714.

So if I did that right, I think I understand why you chose to use this scoring method for this comp. If everyone were using rifles, almost everyone could get a 100% HV often. But because this is for handguns, and one pistol crossbow, the likelihood of getting a 100% HV is harder to do. Meaning that the Animal score will be reduced by the smaller HV. I always thought that comps were a factor of luck. If your lucky enough to find a big animal score, your luck may take you to the top three. But this will require luck (to find that big animal score) and skill (to get a heart or double lung shot) to get a 100% HV too.

Tot1d... Thank you for the answers.
BCKidd… If I have the time and equipment, I'll be trying. Thanks for the invite ;-)

Honzo
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

HonzoChu wrote:So... Score = Animal score*HV, Min is the smallest score submitted for that animal type, Max is the largest score submitted for that animal type. So, let's take a black bear as an example. I get one with a animal score of 28 at 100% HV. My score would be 2800. Two others submits animal scores of 22 (smallest) and 29 (largest) both at 100% HV. My comp score for black bears would be (2800 - 2200) / (2900 - 2200) * 100 = 85.714.
No, it doesn't matter what the high & low scores are for the comp. Min is the lowest possible score for that animal, Max is the highest possible score for that animal.
So, chances are good that no one will get a 100 for the normalized score. (or 0 for that matter).

So, if you get a 28.000 black bear, wait, there are no 28 black bears. If you get a 23.000 black bear, Your normalized score would be (23 - 12) / (24 - 12) * 100 = 91.667
At 100%, that would be 91.667.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

And the trophies for this comp are once again, friggin' awesome! The winners can choose which animal they want on the trophy- have a look:
Spoiler:
Thank you Cal! ;) Peace.

Keep it real!

Return to “Competitions”