"Slug Fest 2019" by BCKidd

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: "Slug Fest 2019" by BCKidd

Post by VonStratos »

BCKidd wrote:So are ya'll preferring "attempts" as opposed to "submissions"? I find that attempts certainly stop the grinding and doesn't leave much room for spawn mashing. It makes for better fair play too I think. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

In my humble opinion. its depend on the competition objectives, this competition is based in one reserve and only 4 species, so you can go after 1 specie only in a hunt until get the 4 and still have a spare attempt, or more commonly get 2 or 3 animals in a couple of hunts, fail an attempt and still have a couple more to spare, it fit well with this competition, but for large competitions like that one in summer, that run for weeks and need many animals of many reserves, to use attempts may be more complicated, still for this kind of short competition i liked the attempt system more.

The disadvantages of the attempts are that a disconnect due external reasons or bugged animals cost an attempt, while in a submission based event, if you lose the hunt you still can make another to try recover what was lost without penalty. But the advantage of attempts is that can make more fair the grinding as you said. It will need some time and feedback to see which one works better, specially on long competitions. ;)

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

VonStratos wrote:
BCKidd wrote:So are ya'll preferring "attempts" as opposed to "submissions"? I find that attempts certainly stop the grinding and doesn't leave much room for spawn mashing. It makes for better fair play too I think. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

In my humble opinion. its depend on the competition objectives, this competition is based in one reserve and only 4 species, so you can go after 1 specie only in a hunt until get the 4 and still have a spare attempt, or more commonly get 2 or 3 animals in a couple of hunts, fail an attempt and still have a couple more to spare, it fit well with this competition, but for large competitions like that one in summer, that run for weeks and need many animals of many reserves, to use attempts may be more complicated, still for this kind of short competition i liked the attempt system more.

The disadvantages of the attempts are that a disconnect due external reasons or bugged animals cost an attempt, while in a submission based event, if you lose the hunt you still can make another to try recover what was lost without penalty. But the advantage of attempts is that can make more fair the grinding as you said. It will need some time and feedback to see which one works better, specially on long competitions. ;)
My thoughts exactly. The upcoming comps are all on one reserve at a time and max of four animals- so these comps will all be using attempts. If I host a long one, yes, it'll be submission based. I pretty much have all my comps lined up for the year- one reserve a month! :D Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
DeadClopz
Outfitter

Post by DeadClopz »

would be nice to see how many attempts each person has completed by their score (like the submissions contest do) 8-)

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

DeadClopz wrote:would be nice to see how many attempts each person has submitted by their score (like the submissions contest do) 8-)
Yeah, at one time you could. I had asked Tod about that, but the "attempts" I guess aren't saved in the database on this one. The attempts get checked on the submission form- is how Tod explained it to me. If you have 5 or more, it won't even let you submit a hunt. That is not to say that 'attempts' won't or can't be shown in the following comps. I myself would prefer it if they were, so hopefully in the next ones competitors will be able to see how many have been used by all- competitors. I can't make promises tho'- it is all up to Tod. And I for one am all for making things easier on him- if it is easier to not show attempts, then we can't expect for him to make it harder on himself with extra coding if that is how it is done or not, I don't know. But the easier for UHC the better imho. :D ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Hey, Walt- cool to see you playin' along. Hope life has been treatin' you good. It has be a while since I last saw your name in a comp. 8-) Peace.

BCKidd.

Keep it real!
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Attempts certainly restrict "mashing" and make you concentrate on a few quality hunts. Of course luck is a big factor since you have to hit a good spawn in at least one or two of your attempts. Also: if a competition uses attempts and there are only a few of them (like in this one: 5), I'm reluctant to start a hunt unless I know I have four or five hours to play - something that doesn't happen all the time, even on weekends. So I guess the phrase "Variety is the spice of life" applies here - I like that you're changing between both options.
Image Image Image
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

I can add attempts to the database for the next comps. The problem is, it will store attempts when someone submits a hunt. It won't show hunts that weren't submitted.

EX: Submit your first hunt, attempts shows as 1. Submit your 2nd hunt, it shows as 2. don't submit the next 2 hunts, it still shows as 2, even though you've had 4 attempts.
Submitting the 5th hunt would update the attempts to 5. But if a player's 1st attempt is their best score, they could be done with attempts, and it only shows 1 on the leaderboard.

I can't run the attempts checker for every participant, every time the leaderboard is displayed. We'll get kicked off the server & nothing will work.

I'm in inclined to leave them off, rather than display misleading data.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Tod1d wrote:
I agree with that .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I like the attempts in this particular case, it seems to work well and it takes away the advantage of unlimited time because you do have to make each one count. The only drawback to it is the possible loos of a hunt due to elements beyond ones control - So when you put up say 5 attempts, I basically throw 1 out and call it 4 - so in the case I don't have a problem it's like getting bonus - it's all perception but it's my method to dealing with "issues" should they arise.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Tod1d wrote:I can add attempts to the database for the next comps. The problem is, it will store attempts when someone submits a hunt. It won't show hunts that weren't submitted.

EX: Submit your first hunt, attempts shows as 1. Submit your 2nd hunt, it shows as 2. don't submit the next 2 hunts, it still shows as 2, even though you've had 4 attempts.
Submitting the 5th hunt would update the attempts to 5. But if a player's 1st attempt is their best score, they could be done with attempts, and it only shows 1 on the leaderboard.

I can't run the attempts checker for every participant, every time the leaderboard is displayed. We'll get kicked off the server & nothing will work.

Excellent 'xplanation, Tod. We will leave them off then. No point in changin' somethin' that works well. Competitors will have to keep track of their own attempts. Good enough. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

Keep it real!

Return to “Competitions”