"1st Annual Sitka Cull 2018" by BCKidd

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: "1st Annual Sitka Cull 2018" by BCKidd

Post by VonStratos »

Ah i remembered the shotgun part but forgot the rest, my bad.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
LatinJoker69
Hunter

Post by LatinJoker69 »

Hi everyone, congrats to the winners and to all who participated in this event and a big thumbs up to BCKidd and to everyone else who managed to make it possible.
Had a decent run for a while but at the end just wasn`t finding any fat ones and then I had some family come over for a visit and that did not allow me to play for last few hours, but it was great fun and I managed an albino bison during my attempts which I have been seeking for the longest. The only bad side of not being able to finish this comp was that "Radamus" was able to beat me :o
Merry Christmas everyone and many blessings to all and to all your love ones as well... ;)
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

stancomputerhunter wrote:
BCKidd wrote:buy four licenses- 'cause that is all we're huntin' next time- 4 different species- one of each, one reserve. Sounds :P simple.
BCKidd.
I don't understand BCK, next time is 4 species in 1 reserve...last time was 1 species in 1 reserve..doesn't sound simpler to me..just sayin'. I know I 'm going to look like a constant complainer, but do they have to be so complicated, and long?

Half-way through the last registration period you were complaining about the number of entrants. A few numbers on this last one.

75 people registered.
35 people posted a score for at least one animal
17 of the 35 posted less than half the number of required scores, and one person posted 11 of 20.
3 of the remaining 16 participants didn't finish 20, meaning thirteen out of 75 registrants, and 35 participants managed to finish the required grind.

The winner readily admitted that he spent 80 hours on this comp. In the US that is a full-time job for 2 weeks, and you allowed only 10 days. I think there's a reason this participation was so low. I don't know about you, but I'm retired, and have no interest in working the equivalent of a full-time job in order to win $30 or less. The compensation for me has to be fun, and working on that comp for just three days was not fun.

I'm sorry if you are offended, but I think someone has to point out the other side of these things. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, at least not publicly, and I understand that.
Yes but you don't know the requirements so hard for you to make assumptions. Twenty critters is a lot more than four. Again- complicated? I dunno if they are complicated- they are only as long as one wants them to be. Most of my comps can be done- in one or two hunts if one wishes. They usually run for two week-ends, that gives working folks at least an opportunity to participate. I didn't complain about the lack of registration- I was putting forth a question. I think 75 registrants shows at least that there were 75 interested competitors. The winner wasn't by any means forced to spend that much time- he did it 'cause he enjoyed it or at least that is my hope. If you are implying that one needs to put in 80 hrs to win one of my comps, I think that could be debated. Offended- not at all. I get it, you'd like to see a comp that last three days and one animal or something like that, or longer then what I usually host. Or I'm missin' your point altogether. Regardless, I do appreciate your thoughts. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Lamphunter
Hunter

Post by Lamphunter »

Congratulations to Difunto and the other winners! :)
Considering the fact that daily,due to work, i didn't have much time to spend on this comp and knowing that i would leave for Christmas vacation three days before the end of it, my goal was to submit all twenty sitkas decent enough to put me in top ten. So, as you can imagine, I'm pretty happy with the result. :D
To tell you the truth after considering the rules,i though it would require me to spend more time on this comp than it actually did and that led me to take some poor decisions, specially in the beginning.
So, at least for me,rules of comp although challenging, proved to be pretty manageable.
Congrats to all participants as well.
Radamus, i can't thank you enough for your kind words man! Be well my friend!
BCKidd, again thank you for another amazing comp and hope i'll be able to get a taste of your next one.
DYEUZ, congrats and thanks for the good fight, as we both competed and finished together. ;)
Also thank you Tod for supporting another comp and Caledonianblues for the stunning trophies!
Finally, Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all! :)
Peace!
Last edited by Lamphunter on December 25th, 2018, 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

I'd call this one a success. Plenty of active participation, consistent banter in the topic, sharing of strategies, etc...

I think appeals for different types of comps should be directed at UHC or the community, rather than at the comp host.
It's pretty apparent that BCKidd likes to put up challenging comps. He's awarding 6500 em$ (~80 Canadian dollars) in a lot of these, so they shouldn't be too easy.

We have a pretty small contingent of regular comp hosts. What we need is a few more people to step up & host some comps. Then we'll get more diversity.

Be Well
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

BCKidd wrote:Feed back on either or both would be cool. :D Peace.
BCKidd.
1: About the disclaimer .It is a good idea , to remind players that you want them to be more careful and aware of what they are getting into .
I , would not wait till the end of the comp to DQ any player that deserves it though . If you look at most sports IRL or any other kind of tournament / competition / contest , the majority of these events DQ their players / teams during that said event . They do not obey a certain rule that could DQ them , well too bad . Get it done right away , so that the other players sees what happened and you can go on with whatever .I would even post on the thread about that player .
Meaning : Player xxx got DQ for not respecting the 30 minutes rule .

I would also , add a little text / phrase , in regards to language differences . Kinda like : If because English is not your first language and you are not certain / sure about what the disclaimer really means , or about any rules in this comp , please ask if in doubts before making a mistake . Assuming is never good .

2: Special Requirements .Any hunt started less than 30 minutes after a hunt that is less than 30 minutes can not be submitted.
I would maybe add this as an example also : Any harvest of a required species,in a hunt that was not after a cool down of 30 minutes , will not be accepted .
Q: What happens to a player that shows one or more, missed cool down period , even if no animals were entered ?

My thoughts on SM :I always said that, the thought , the intention, behind how a player plays , is the meaning of that way .
Let me explain . We all know about the real , well known short SM . So i will not talk about that .
Then ,comes what i call '' long SM '' . I did it at the closing end of the last comp . Others did it also . When in the back of your mind , you have the intention of restarting a hunt , around 31@33 minutes , if you do not see anything good , or if you miss a shot , well to me this is SM . It is no different for me than the short 5@10 minutes SM .You can do a lot of 31 minutes hunts in a day !
Maybe that's why i had the 1 real hour requirements hunts in my past comps .I am not asking to change that , i am just sharing my thoughts about SM .It's just that when i read '' no SM '' in the text , i find it odd a little .

3: Thoughts on the type of comps you do . I said it couple times already and saw other members tell about their thoughts also .
They are tough ,very much time consuming and that's o.k. in a way . When you do a comp , i go read the rules / requirements and if it suits me ,i'm in . No one is forcing me to participate . So all should see it that way . When you reply to Stan with this quote about your last comp : The winner wasn't by any means forced to spend that much time . I'm not so sure that Difunto would have had the same results if he wouldn't have put so much time in it . I, did put over 40 hrs and ended up 4th . I don't mind them being hard . I don't mind giving it , 2@4 hours a day . I kind of got pulled into doing this one , when i started it and got couple Sitka . It was almost too late to stop at one point , but 20 was brutal ! :lol:
In the end ,like most , that last comp was pretty much '' run N' gun '' .Which i'm pretty sure wasn't your intention to start with .

So these are my thoughts about it . Keep up the good work and keep me inform a little in advance ( if you want ) with upcoming comps of yours , so i can see if i can sponsor some more bonus prizes .

;)

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Reggy
Scout

Post by Reggy »

BCKidd wrote:A disclaimer that is going to be used in next comp. I wanted to post it here- maybe get some feed back. I also have changed the "Cool Down Rule" it is under Spoiler 2.

*Disclaimer: By registering for this competition; You fully understand the Rules of Engagement (ROE). You agree to follow the ROE. You understand that no warnings or DQs will be handed out during the competition- Any DQ’s will be confirmed at the end of this competition- winning positions will certainly be DQ’d.
IMHO DQ the person when you have confirmed they did not follow the ROE. I would not wait to the end. If someone makes a mistake in first/second hunt and doesn't realize, thinks they have good score, are on LB in good shape and keep going only to be DQ'd at end for mistake at beginning. Don't let them waste their time.
BCKidd wrote:**Special Requirements: Hunts must be 30 min real time (1 hour in Game) Any hunt started less than 30 minutes after a hunt that is less than 30 minutes can not be submitted. You must have a cool down period of 30 minutes.
Feed back on either or both would be cool. :D Peace.
BCKidd.
I found it less confusing the way you had it before. If your hunt is less than 30 minutes you must wait a 'cool-down' period of 30 minutes to hunt on that reserve again. I think is simpler.
Thanks for all the hosting BCKidd!
Merry Christmas
Hunt_Training
Tracker

Post by Hunt_Training »

Reggy wrote: [...]
BCKidd wrote:**Special Requirements: Hunts must be 30 min real time (1 hour in Game) Any hunt started less than 30 minutes after a hunt that is less than 30 minutes can not be submitted. You must have a cool down period of 30 minutes.
Feed back on either or both would be cool. :D Peace.
BCKidd.
I found it less confusing the way you had it before. If your hunt is less than 30 minutes you must wait a 'cool-down' period of 30 minutes to hunt on that reserve again. I think is simpler.
Thanks for all the hosting BCKidd!
Merry Christmas
About the "Special Requirements" ("No Spawn Mashing requirement"?) I could suggest a rewording like:
"The end of any hunt lasting less than 30 minutes real time (1 hour in Game) triggers a cool down period of 30 minutes before a new valid hunt can be started.
Submissions of any hunts started within such cool down period will not be accepted.
".

I'm not sure if a reference to "in the same reserve" should also be added. I don't think it should, keeping this Special Req. simpler and more general (e.g. for possible comp.s allowing/requiring to hunt in more than one reserve).

Please note I'm not a mother-tongue English, so I'm not 100% sure that this suggestion can be better than the previous statements; just trying to contribute whether useful, and to thank for the warm welcome and acknowledgment messages I received (not mentioning the more-than-appreciated PM by Radamus).
BCKidd wrote: [...]
You will be happy to know my next comp will require any slug ammo. So, yes guest will be able to participate in that one as well- providing they have the GM$ to buy four licenses- 'cause that is all we're huntin' next time- 4 different species- one of each, one reserve. Sounds :P simple. I hope I'll see your name on the LB! ;) Respect.
Thanks, BCK; I'm happy I will be able to take part (using slug ammo), and I'll do my best to make your hopes for the LB come true. ;)

Happy holidays!
My summary stats (current Hunting Season):
Spoiler:

VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Hunt_Training has a good point about the cool down rule when the competition is in multiple reserves, maybe in that case an appendix to the rule can be added like this:

"The end of any hunt lasting less than 30 minutes real time (1 hour in Game) triggers a cool down period of 30 minutes before a new valid hunt can be started.
Submissions of any hunts started within such cool down period will not be accepted.". "This rule applies to all reserves and animals included into the competition".

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

:arrow: HT, thanks for your contribution, it has been dutifully noted and is appreciated. 8-) Peace.

BCKidd

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.

Return to “Competitions”