Tired of competitions sometimes

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
Gravenslund
Tracker

Tired of competitions sometimes

Post by Gravenslund »

Hi all..
Please dont take this as a negative thing or something.. I just wanna explane my frustration sometimes.
When i look at a competition, as they are in the menu, they seem to mostly be impossible for me.
Example: the competition says that i can enter when i have between 50 and 500 of some animal. And it has to be the average weight of 3 animals.
But the problem for me is that i am not high rank like alot of others in the game, and then i have almost zero skills with 51 kills, compared to one with 490 kills of an animal.
The one with 490 kills can easy see what animal he has to kill compared to me that has almost zero spotting and zero skills with 51 kills.
So i have never ever won anything in these competitions and dont even care to join one anymore, because i know that the last 2 hours these competitions run, there will be some higher rank players that will join it, and beat the !"#¤ out of all others in there. (Remember that this is not a negative topic of me) Just trying to explain.

Cant the competitions be made between 50 and 250? and then from 251 to 500 or something, so other lowplayers have a chance?

If i am totally wrong just write it gently, instead of hamering me down please. I am kindy new the the game compared to others.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: Tired of competitions sometimes

Post by VonStratos »

First, rank wont really make the difference, I know since i have won comps when i was a guest, then when i barely had a bow and treestand and nothing else and now after years i also have a hard time getting a trophy, specially in those average score/weight comps. Luck play a major role next to skill too.

Second, i understand and agree with the rest of your topic, the system to divide the players in tiers could get a review, 50/500 gives a lot of margin and as you said the in game skills of a player who have hunted 490 of a specie can give a great difference from one with barely 51, 50 to 250 as you said seems more fair to me. By example i had almost maxed levels on pheasant and currently max level on spotting and tracking when i still was in the middle tier, 50 to 500, and as you said, that means i could identify if the pheasant i was tracking/spotting was a potential comp winner or not, something than a player who barely have seen some pheasants and is joining the same comp after reach 51 kills probably cant do, sure still the luck is needed to cross paths with a very big pheasant, but that's another matter, that's why agree 50/250 sound more fair to me. If you look at my hunts in Hirsch you will see i shot in ground and from afar the 90% of the pheasants with the .22, and only shot 1 or 2 in air, that's because once spotted i know that's the only worth the airshot for me.

One approach i have to competitions is, if i think i don't have good chances to win, i still activate the comp and may win by the sheer luck of crossing paths with a trophy animal, but i will not be hunting looking for that, just hunting for fun or looking for other animals,(last time i did only one hunt in settlers looking for bear and i got the 2 place in a turkey comp, the black ball just was in the wrong place in the wrong moment xD, pure luck, again don't hate me people if if you were trying hard get a turkey) and i have won some comps that way a few time(don't hate me) :D but just hunt for the joy, don't hunt to try win a comp like if were a duty, just activate the comps for the reserve where you will go, and take it with calm, if you just go after a winning the most probably is stress instead joy what you will get while playing. Another thing is, choose your battles, there are comps like the 3 average of whatever than need more time and potentially more resources to get a good result, while there is other more simple like shot the biggest Buck, and that can happen if you get lucky, even if you don't have anything besides a .243(i know from experience), just play to enjoy, being competitive is good, but can cause stress and you may end needing a break of the game(i know from experience too) so just focus in enjoyment, and try comps that don't bring you frustration if you cant win it. ;)

Another thing i would suggest is give a try to the UHC competitions, there you can share the experience and tactics, stories, etc, there is more than just win the competition, there is sportsmanship ;)

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
RedWolf
Spotter

Post by RedWolf »

Gravenslund wrote:So i have never ever won anything in these competitions
Then it's time to change you approach, instead of giving up.

To get a track weight estimate you would need at least a tracking level of 8 for 60% accuracy, 14 for 70% accuracy and 20 for 80% accuracy. When I look at your skill stats, I see 19 species with a level 8 or higher of which 4 with a level 14 or higher. There are also 9 species with a tracking level of 5-7, which can easily be pushed to 8 by quickly running a map without hunting.

Sorry, but I don't see your problem when it comes to weight estimates. Even at 60% you'll quickly learn how to filter out a small group of animals with the most potential. Also understand that spotting skills for weight competitions are far less important than tracking skills.

I recently did a test on behalf of the developer and was able to track 73 animals on Whitehart in about 1 hour 34 minutes. It just shows how fast you can level up your tracking skills if you wanted to. But when I look at your stats, I see a Whitehart hunt that lasted almost as long, but you tracked only 10 animals. Sorry, but then it's going to takes ages to increase your tracking skills that way. Also understand that you need to get at least 3 clues and preferable 4, and even additional clues will increase your skill level, but slower than the first 4.

Instead of trying to win every competition out there, try to focus on those competitions (for now) for which you have an 8+ or 14+ tracking skill.

Lastly, it's not hard to win a medal, it really isn't, you're just throwing the towel without putting a serious effort into it. Right now for example I'm looking at the intermediate arctic fox weight competition and there are only 3 scores on the leaderboard so far and the previous competition ended with only 5 scores on the leaderboard. Heck, the started competition currently only has 2 scores on the leaderboard and ended in the last competition with only 2 scores. In plain English; if you would have shot 3 artic foxes (of any weight) in that competition, you would have won bronze.

Also try to learn from others, check their stats, check their hunting histories, figure out where they hunt, how they hunt, etc.

Lastly, put a serious effort into a competition (even before it starts) when you don't want to rely on luck only. ;)
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

:arrow: RedWolf

I think your advice is spot on however I think the underlying issue might be one of perspective.
RedWolf wrote:
I recently did a test on behalf of the developer and was able to track 73 animals on Whitehart in about 1 hour 34 minutes. It just shows how fast you can level up your tracking skills if you wanted to. But when I look at your stats, I see a Whitehart hunt that lasted almost as long, but you tracked only 10 animals. Sorry, but then it's going to takes ages to increase your tracking skills that way. Also understand that you need to get at least 3 clues and preferable 4, and even additional clues will increase your skill level, but slower than the first 4.
What you illustrate here is a gamers perspective. Doing what you have to do with a focus on achieving a specific goal. There is nothing wrong with that per se but to many of us this is a hunting simulation. We of that ethos wouldnt dream of spending an hour running around period let alone focusing on leveling up our tracking skills. For us its about the journey not the destination.

Frankly I rarely compete in comps because they favor gamers & grinders. I am neither so by necessity must be perfectly content to hunt when & how I chose.

RedWolf
Spotter

Post by RedWolf »

SoftShoe, it's a game and not a hunting simulator, when it has a hunter mate, when scent sprays aren't affected by wind, when a deer doesn't spook 15m away from a tripod, when every hit with an arrow will result in a kill, when people kill animals at more than 600 meter with a bow or store werewolves in a trophy lodge.
SoftShoe wrote:Frankly I rarely compete in comps because they favor gamers & grinders.
A competition (any competition in real life, not just games) should favor people with a "Sunday walk in the park" mentality?
SoftShoe wrote:What you illustrate here is a gamers perspective.
A gamer started this thread to know how he can win medals (=goal) and I'm only pointing out how he could boost his tracking skills.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

RedWolf wrote:SoftShoe, it's a game and not a hunting simulator, when it has a hunter mate, when scent sprays aren't affected by wind, when a deer doesn't spook 15m away from a tripod, when every hit with an arrow will result in a kill, when people kill animals at more than 600 meter with a bow or store werewolves in a trophy lodge.
The truth lies somewhere in the middle. The only thing I play is simulations (primarily flight & racing) & in all of them they have an "easy" mode designed for the casual gamer. The points you hit above are all choices the player gets to use or not at their discretion. I can tell you I I have never fired my bow at anything father than about 60m. Likewise I dont use scents either. I cant speak to the reality of a tripod stand because I have never hunted out of one. I have however tapped does on the head with the tip of my longbow when in a treestand & laid my hand on a deer when reaching out of a blind so I dont see the tripod as being unduly realistic. If you are sitting there dead still the deer will most likely not be threatened by you. They key on scent & movement.
RedWolf wrote:A competition (any competition in real life, not just games) should favor people with a "Sunday walk in the park" mentality?
My 1st week playing this game I took 3rd place in a coyote hunting comp against 60 other players. *My spotting & tracking skills were nearly zero, how did I manage that?
RedWolf wrote:A gamer started this thread to know how he can win medals (=goal) and I'm only pointing out how he could boost his tracking skills.
No sir, a casual player started this thread & you approached the problem from a gamers perspective. *In the alternative he could spend time in the woods hunting & glassing! Most of the animals you can tell which ones are big & small without a spotting skill using only the Mk1 eyeball. Shoot all the big ones & you have a better than even chance of placing.

The final & most important aspect of any comp affects gamer & casual player alike. Blind luck! You can mitigate the need for luck with a high spotting skill or by spending allot of time in the woods but in the end RNG is god of all.

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Let me bring it back to the top :D ~ Hey, I get you! Been there! And sometimes it's healthy to just let off a little bit of "free thought" just to feel better. It's healthy! and a good thing but you also know to expect some stuff that's not quite usable, I've done it, do it and guilty too :D

To your point, yep, you've seen a barrier to performing up to your expectations. Absolutely there's certain comps where your personal numbers are going to limit your success. The comps where "best weight or score of first 3" are especially tough with low stats - Before Hunterscore V2 they were laid out a little differently. Not that it was any easier but it was curved slightly different.
the easy part is- you know what you need to do to overcome those odds and there's not much else you can do but get those spot/trk numbers up. the best advice I can give is- sign up for every comp there is on the reserve you plan to hunt. Secondly, collect every track you see, keep moving, spot every animal you see - making sure the spot box pops up in the binos or scope so you get credit for it.

I didn't follow this routine for the longest time until one of the elders posted it one day. I remember trying to do a reindeer comp and I was terrible at it because I hadn't hunted them and didn't have good info. After that I followed that advice and it's paid off. It actually takes much less time to get your numbers up today than it did a few years ago. Keep working it! you'll get there! but most of all, have fun, keep trying and you'll get some trophies, guarantee it ;)
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Gravenslund
Tracker

Post by Gravenslund »

Hi again. Thx to all with the advises.

First of all i have to say that i have a brain malfunction that does that i cant remember things for so long..
I have to check before or under the hunt what animals can bring in on score, because i cant remember the numbers,
So when i see an animal, i have to tab out of the game mostly and look at the leaderboards, because i dont know if its good or not..
Ofc i can see on some antler that are barely there that it is small, but the when 2 comes going of the same animal, i cant see the diferent.

The first year i played, i just shot the first animal i saw, and was running down to get it harvest. So the fault are agin mine i know that i dont have high tracking or spotting skills.

I know that it is my fault that i dont spend hours and hours on research. ( i am of the older generation, were 6 kids and everything else comes first)
I almost never play single player, because i like the multiplyer part and like to talk to others that have some extra time to chat.
I like having it fun in the game, and dont wanna play on maps that i dont like playing on, so when people are saying that i should just hunt the things that are not many players on, lilke the arctic fox..
Some maps are laggy like hell for me, either when i go into the forest og just zooming around, so i dont play these maps much. Like the arctic fox map. ( i cant even remember the name on the map without checking it first, Sorry)

I like having it fun in here, and are trying to help others mostly.

Second: Redwolf wrote (
I recently did a test on behalf of the developer and was able to track 73 animals on Whitehart in about 1 hour 34 minutes. It just shows how fast you can level up your tracking skills if you wanted to. But when I look at your stats, I see a Whitehart hunt that lasted almost as long, but you tracked only 10 animals. Sorry, but then it's going to takes ages to increase your tracking skills that way)

there comes the main problem, that i spend to much time talking to others and trying to have a good laugh while i hunt the things that i do. So sometimes i can sit in a tree for 2 hours and see 10 animals, that i shoot. Because i dont run the hole map aound.

My point in all this was that a player with 51 kills of somesort, dont have so much skill as a player with 490 kills.
When oyu have seen a animal 51 times.. You know as much as the player that has seen it 490 times?????

Thats was were my point of this trheat came in.. That i would like it to be abit lower lik ei said, 51 - 250 or something.

Oh man, i already forgot what i wrote in the top.. Time to take a break.
I know that 99% of the time its my own fault.. But can i get some help.

Once again dont take this like a negative topic, i like the players and gaming experience.

And thax Radamus and Vonstratos.
Think i forgot something else, but i whave written enough now

Return to “Competitions”