Art's Wall (a Uhcapps guessing game)

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: Art's Wall (a Uhcapps guessing game)

Post by Tod1d »

J_Birdman wrote:
Tod1d wrote:
J_Birdman wrote:The comp is closed. Guess I took third place with 0 correct answers. Sweet.

:lol:
Ummm, it's not closed. Currently the close date is set at Nov 1st, but I can bump that up if necessary.
Ummm, it was closed for two days and now it's not. Wish I had taken a screenshot but I know what I saw, more than once, over the past two days.

Code: Select all

$closed_date = "2018-11-01 00:00:00";
$closed_ts = strtotime($closed_date);
if (time() > $closed_ts)
{
	header("Location: closed.php");
	die;
}
This is the only code that checks to see if it's closed. I've been checking it every day, and I haven't been forwarded to the closed.php page.
So unless something goofy was happening with the server and time() returned an errant value larger than $closed_ts (highly unlikely)...
I haven't changed anything, and it's worked everytime I've checked it.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

Had only 11 since the start, could've def done better but wasn't sure when it ended.
With a comp this long i could've asked people for the answers and got em all right, i thought it was only a week long or something.
Nathan22Outdoors
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Tod1d wrote:I've been checking it every day, and I haven't been forwarded to the closed.php page.
So unless something goofy was happening with the server and time() returned an errant value larger than $closed_ts (highly unlikely)...
I haven't changed anything, and it's worked everytime I've checked it.
I made my first post in this thread right after my fail on Friday night. The leaderboard consisted of someone with 9 correct answers and me with my 0. Checked to back to look at the leaderboard many times since then to see how others were doing. At some point one other person got on the LB and at some point it started saying the comp was closed. That could have been the same viewing but I don't remember. This really surprised me but thought it must be a mistake and will be sorted out. Saw the new posts in this thread this morning, checked the page again, and it was still saying comp closed. Checked again right before previous reply and it's no longer saying comp closed, and there are 10 people on the LB instead of the same 3 I've been seeing for the past two days. If it's not your code, and if it's not related to server time, and if it's definitely not my eyesight.. :?:

Edit: I have a theory that the glitch has something to do with the bizarre nature of this comp, i.e. it's not a hunting comp and it's not a prize drawing and we can't get to it or even see it any other way than through your link in the OP which forces you to log in even if you already are logged in. Say, for example, someone bookmarks this comp page so they don't have to go through that re-login hooey anymore, then the next day they log into UHC and simply use their bookmark. Would this have an adverse effect? If yes, why then am I now able to see that the comp isn't closed/10 people on the LB even though I've been doing this exact same bookmark method for the past two or three days? If no, then again.. :?:

I'm not salty btw. I, in no way, expected to win anything with a goose egg on the LB. I knew something was very wrong for the past two days, thus my :lol: earlier when I joked about taking third place. I'm not a coder, just love a good troubleshoot as much as the next person, good luck ..fixing a problem that magically doesn't appear to be a problem anymore.. :lol:
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Out of interest, is anyone checking the answers manually? After looking at it, a few of 'em do have two-word names, technically. I think five of them! I'm just worried I got one wrong when it was actually right, but then, I didn't have a color variation on any. I know one MIGHT be erythristic... but I wasn't sure if it was sun fading lol. That one also says it only needs two words, and the fur variation would put it at three. Hmm...
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

I believe Tod will manually check the answers and apply some sort of discretion when determining the winners.
CalloftheWild

Post by CalloftheWild »

This was fun to try. But I was only able to get 12. *sigh* oh well.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

No clue what's going on with it saying it was closed. I've tried it logged on, and logged out, and the leaderboard still loads fine for me. The login check is only for the scoresheet to fill in the answers.

13 of the answers require one word. For example, if your answer was "Feral Goat", I'm only checking for the word "goat", so that would be correct.
Only one of the answers requires 2 words, a common species name, and a fur variation.

And yes, I've saved all of your answers to the database table so I can check them.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Ahhh, gotcha! Thanks.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Alright, it's getting near the end of the week, and almost everyone was "a little wrong" *** in one of the answers, so I've decided to relax the terms for that animal.
Notice a bunch of the scores went up by one, and the 2 players with 13 now are winners at 14. :D One more spot open!

"Stuart: Oh, Sheldon, I'm afraid you couldn't be more wrong.
Sheldon: More wrong? Wrong is an absolute state and not subject to gradation.
Stuart: Of course it is. It's a little wrong to say a tomato is a vegetable, it's very wrong to say it's a suspension bridge."
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

The worse part is, I knew the second I clicked that I had screwed up. I completely forgot to add the variation you asked for to the name, even though I knew it. There's been one hanging on my family's basement wall my whole life. My father would be ashamed if I didn't know it.

Return to “Competitions”