Buck -n- Buckskin

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Buck -n- Buckskin

Post by SoftShoe »

My last deer shot with a compound was on the last day of deer season. Work had interfered with much of that years season so my back was against the wall to put some venison in the freezer. It was getting close to dark as I watched a doe feeding in the middle of a small corn field, I decided to take a shot I knew I could make from past practice sessions but was close to TWICE my self imposed limit of shooting at game with a bow. She was at 50yds which I had a pin for. I drew the Browning Excellerator feeling my muscles bunch at the 70lb draw then relax some as the let off kicked in. Kisser button between my lips, pin centered in the peep hole I activated the release hearing the faint click as it let the string go. My berger button helped stabilize the arrow as it raced along the flipper rest propelling a Easton XX75 2219 shaft topped with a Razorback 5 broadhead. I watched the arrow arch through the air, the florescent orange nock bright in the dimming light as it dissapeared in her rib cage then a puff of dust as the arrow hit the dirt about 10yds behind her. She started when the arrow hit the dirt, tail & head coming up but I dont think she felt the arrow pass through her, she was frozen staring at where the arrow stuck in the ground. I sat in my treestand dumbfounded wondering if my eyes betrayed me & I had actually missed. Her head went back down to feed again so I started to grab another arrow from my quick detachable quiver when she took a wobbly step sideways. Then another step, more of a stagger really & another step sent her sprawling to the ground. She lifter her head once looking around, laid it down & moved no more.
I was very proud of myself making that shot. Not only was it a long shot but my arrow landed perfectly, piercing both lungs & cutting a couple arteries. As I drove home I considered myself a great archer & couldnt wait to tell my buddies about the hunt. I also thought "man that was easy" which somehow seemed wrong. After all I started to hunt with a compound bow because I thought using a rifle on deer was to easy. I decided I needed to roll the technology back. Over the winter I bought a Bear Kodiak Magnum recurve. Taking it to the range in the spring was a shot to the ego. I went from breaking nocks regularly with my Browning to being lucky to get on paper with the Bear but instead of getting frustrated I was inspired! The elegant simplicity of the bow spoke to my soul, I was going to master this bow! Many hours of practice & thousands of arrows shot & I achieved a degree of competence. I could routinely put all my arrows into a pie plate at 20yds which was my self imposed limit. Sure I could probably hit farther than that but I didnt want to chance a bad hit with an arrow.
The following fall I was in the woods with my Bear. Just a stick & a string, none of the other doo dads of a compound bow that I thought so necessary & it just felt right. This is what it really means to be an archer! It wasnt that year when I got my 1st dear with a traditional bow but the next & the feeling of acomplishment has never been so sweet.

You are invited to join me in a hunt of the purest kind. Just you, your stick & a string.

Starts-Sept 14th 2018, 20:00 EDT
Ends- Sept 16th 2018, 20:00 EDT

Rules and Conditions

Species: Whitetail Deer
Reserves: Wherever you can find Whitetail
Weapons: Traditional bow (no compounds or crossbows)
Scoring: Highest score
Equipment: No restrictions. You are permitted to use any clothes, stands, calls, lures or dogs that you own.

Special Requirements:
Daily bag limit is 1 deer. No other animals may be harvested during the hunt!
Deer MUST be shot at 20 meters or less
Max # Submissions: 3. You must submit the expedition, not the animal.
5% bonus for heart shots. Other organs may be hit.

Expedition (Hunt) Requirements:
Hunts must begin after the comp start, and end before the comp ends.
Hunts/Scoresheets must be submitted within 30 minutes of hunt ending. (No Sandbagging)
Hunts must be at least 30 minutes real time (1 game hour) (No Spawn-mashing)
Max Hunt Duration: 3 hours real time (The hunt can be longer than 3 hours, but only animals harvested within the 3 hour limit are valid.)
Attempts: 3

Player Requirements:Single player only

Registration - REGISTER HERE
Registration is required prior to beginning a hunt from which scores are submitted. Participants can register right up until the end of the competition.

Leaderboard - LIVE LEADERBOARD HERE
The leaderboards for this competition will be updated in real time. Please use the link above to keep track of the competition.

Prizes
The prizes for this competition are as follows:

1st Place: _2,000_ em$
2nd Place: _1,000_ em$
3rd Place: _500_ em$
*Secret Bonus 500em$

*Hint: a trophy shot is needed for a chance at the secret bonus.

Questions?
Please feel free to ask on this forum thread, or send me a private message.

Errors & Bugs
If you find an error in this thread, or a bug with the competition system, please send me a private message.

Conditions
I reserve the right to modify the rules and terms of this competition at any time between the date and time of this post, and the start of the competition. I also reserve the right to cancel this competition at any time.
UHC and competition hosts reserve the right to disqualify any participant at their discretion for any reason, including but not limited to: cheating, unsportsmanlike conduct, harassment, et. al.
Discrepancies & ambiguities in the rules or scoring site will be addressed by UHC or the competition host as expediently as possible.
Last edited by SoftShoe on September 7th, 2018, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: Buck -n- Buckskin

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Great story, great comp. Count me in! 8-)
Image Image Image
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Cool! Yep, I'll be there with my stick and string. Thanks for hosting SShoe! 8-) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Could be my first participation , since release . Thx SS for doing this .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Good to see you, DYEUZ! 8-) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Lmao, that video/song.. welcome back, Dyeuz. :lol:

Love your comp announcement stories, SoftShoe, really heartfelt and inspiring. Thanks for hosting this sweet competition, count me in for sure. :)
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

OMG !! :shock: Thx guys !! :lol:

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

Looks like fun, I'm game. Loves me some bow huntin ;)
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

It says we can only harvest one deer. At least that's how I read "Daily bag limit is 1 deer." With these rules it'd be possible to shoot multiple animals with the bow and harvest just one of them at the end of the hunt. With SoftShoe trying to be as ethical and as close to RL hunting as possible I'm not sure if that's what he wants... :?
Image Image Image
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Nope- he has a sentence after that- "no other animals can be taken during the hunt"... But, I guess you are right in the sense that "we" can shoot 'em jus' can't harvest them. Yeah I hope he changes that so that it is clear. I know I'll simply shoot only one jus' to be safe. I hate scattering the ground with dead critters and not being able to harvest them. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

Keep it real!

Return to “Competitions”